X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Small boys, jumpers for goalposts ........................

You are joking , aren't you ??????

Its hard to know at times what with fictional characters such as Sidney appearing to be real to some folk etc
    Joking, me??? You must be joking!!!

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>you can still watch any so-called 'big' matches in your local

I think the BBC probably has a case for viewers expecting a 'Match Of The Day' round-up of football matches.
      Where it goes so predictably and utterly wrong is spending millions of our £££s a year on that oversized team of dull pundits with its
      hapless presenter, Lineker.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
        Where it goes so predictably and utterly wrong is spending millions of our £££s a year on that oversized team of dull pundits with its
        hapless presenter, Lineker.
        He's a bit better on football than he is on golf, apparently.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Line Acre - ah, the memories of Mick Channon before he had his own television station - has improved.

Before all his years at the voice training academy, GL was like listening to radio through a force 10 gale.

Sea: Very high waves with overhanging crests. Large patches of foam from wave crests give the sea a white appearance. Considerable tumbling of waves with heavy impact. Large amounts of airborne spray reduce visibility.

Land: Trees are broken off or uprooted, saplings bent and deformed. Poorly attached asphalt shingles and shingles in poor condition peel off roofs.

I used to think I had mistakenly tuned in to Radio Tirana.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-10-11, 16:15.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
            Isn't this the perfect opportunity to eviscerate BBC Sport?

Sport can pay its own way and, even if you don't have a Sky subscription, you can still watch any so-called 'big' matches in your local for the price of a pint, thus supporting the local economy at the same time.

Sport should be the exclusive domain of the private sector.
            So are you applying different criteria for sport and, say, art ?

If we have to have a TV license, given that sport is, for better or worse, very popular, I would have thought that people who like a bit footy deserve a bit on the box for their £150.

Don't forget, the proms are apparently very expensive for the BBC, and you get more people at the average huddersfield town match(entry £20 +) than you do over several nights of packed out proms concerts.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Is there such a thing as " an average Huddersfield Town match " ?

How meaningless is the slogan ' Delivering Quality First ' ?
              More than ' Vienna Is Different ' or less.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                Is there such a thing as " an average Huddersfield Town match " ?

How meaningless is the slogan ' Delivering Quality First ' ?
                More than ' Vienna Is Different ' or less.
                speaking as a southener, I couldn't really say !! They deserve promotion this season though.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

In my world a "Huddersfield town match" starts with a little electroacoustic music in St Pauls hall , moves on to some Ferneyhough in Bates Mill followed by late night Feldman and a few pints at the "Head of Steam"

don't know anything about this ball kicking malarkey

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

An amusing Charlie Brooker rant in the Graun about BBC tv trailers. Much of which applies to the Radio trailers too.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

the bbc in its long history has had many forms of organisation and authority but it now clearly has lost the plot .... it has taken me some time and anguish to come to such a conclusion ...

a central conundrum is that the DFQ initiative is another version of turkeys voting for Christmas .... the organisation is too big too centralised, just too enamoured of org charts and relocation etc ..... none of which are to the point; it is too big, too sclerotic and has more money than sense .... how else recruit Davie from Pepsi and put him in charge of radio unless some misbegotten managerialism held sway ... it has an overlay of executive committee structures and controls with vested interests ...practically none of it in content but in capability ....processes not products ....

it needs a real shock, a major systemic change; it does not need managers and thought police it needs iconoclasts and passionate professionals ... people who will work for the work not the career salary and perks ... slash its funding by a third arbitrarily, sack the Directorate and put senior programme makers in charge ..... it might be rather more interesting then ...

AUNT has institutional sclerosis, surgery is the only known remedy
                      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

A few basic changes would help matters considerably. Take Steve Wright and Chris Evans. Most here would say that they are inane. I don't disagree. Nevertheless, inane radio can be done with a certain professional panache. They both have more of that - or something - than the average presenter, not that this necessarily precludes obnoxiousness. They are popular, were a little original back in the day and at least are not Simon Mayo. As a listener, I could cope if only in very, very short bursts.

But then there is the money. Our money. According to Wikipedia, Wright allegedly earns an annual salary of £440,000 for his "work" on Radio 2. Evans almost certainly gets paid considerably more. Put it this way. Moira Stuart - the one who was to be pitied for being ditched a while ago - now giggles her way through her bit part role in every show. That is when she is not managing to deliver a few sentences of news capably. Is it small wonder? According to some sources, she is on £1,700 per programme.

As for Evans himself, Wikipedia suggests that his daily pay on Radio 1 as long ago as the mid-1990s was £7,000. Digital Spy claims that in the latter part of the last decade he was paid £12,000 for every episode of The One Show. I just find those figures obscene. I couldn't accept that kind of money at the expense of ordinary listeners. It would be quite beyond me. In fact, I'd feel like I was a thief or worse - perhaps someone who was the very symbol of goading.

While there will always be a huge public appetite for their kind of stuff, it is the credibility gap I just don't get. How can Joe Public and wife be listening to all of the latest about Evans's family, house, holidays, and be thinking "oh, he is just like us". I don't comprehend it at all and I loathe it. This is probably not the place to find answers but what is it exactly that I am missing? Why do I find this a bigger barrier to listening than even the triviality of it while others seem to welcome it and think it's great?

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

My response to DQF:

'Quality? You don't know the MEA-ning of the word!' DQF will probably be the first major consultation since they began with BPV () I shan't bother to contribute to. It's all sewn up what they're going to, anyway. They're not looking for suggestions.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            My response to DQF:

'Quality? You don't know the MEA-ning of the word!' DQF will probably be the first major consultation since they began with BPV () I shan't bother to contribute to. It's all sewn up what they're going to, anyway. They're not looking for suggestions.

BPV = Broad Pulverisation Quota???

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              BPV = Broad Pulverisation Quota???
                              I think you're confusing it with NVQ, aren't you?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                I think you're confusing it with NVQ, aren't you?
                                National Vocation Qualifications, hmmmm....

Comment

Working...
                                X