• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    attractive Chinese female pianists will now be climbing through all our windows by night to dominate us...
    Oh not again!!!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven

When does she invade Poland?

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Thanks Bryn, I'm now completely reassured.

If I understand correctly, attractive Chinese female pianists will now be climbing through all our windows by night to dominate us...unless we tell them we don't like it
        Just in case someone should feel that a link to a Peter Cook monologue is 'of topic', I would remind all that he was a Radio 3 artist:

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          I've just noticed this on the BBC iPlayer website:

"This is most likely if the programme was broadcasted live".

Perhaps I should have said I'd just noticeded it.
          What's wrong with 'broadcasted'?

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
            Well, basically it's chav pseudo-English.

The past participle of "cast" is "cast", not casted. "Broadcast" derives from "broad" and "cast".

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Well, basically it's chav pseudo-English.

The past participle of "cast" is "cast", not casted. "Broadcast" derives from "broad" and "cast".
              Pick on someone of your own intellect!

P.S. I'm not convinced you are right!
              Last edited by Guest; 12-02-12, 22:33. Reason: added a P.S.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

I'm 'enjoying' the headline about Chinese pianist Yuja Wang on the cover of the new BBCMM: "This incredible pianist is on the verge of world domination... She talks to us first".

What does world domination by a pianist look like? No other pianist daring to play or record anything anywhere?
                I think that it's extremely gracious of her that she's paused on the verge to talk to us.

Comment

• scottycelt

You'll probably discover it's the American way, so it's really, really cool for those on the BBC and elsewhere to follow suit, you see ...

I note that, for some time now, we all have been 'headed' towards a possible double-dip recession rather than 'heading'.

I'm certainly no English language expert but it don't sound right to me, so it don't ...

Comment

• Panjandrum

Pick on someone of your own intellect!

P.S. I'm not convinced you are right!
                    Have you casted (sic) aspersions on someone's knowledge of grammar?

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                      You'll probably discover it's the American way, so it's really, really cool for those on the BBC and elsewhere to follow suit, you see ...

I note that, for some time now, we all have been 'headed' towards a possible double-dip recession rather than 'heading'.

I'm certainly no English language expert but it don't sound right to me, so it don't ...
                      I think I should comment, as I started it...

I don't have so much to do now, so I researched this a bit. 'Broadcast' is undoubtedly the preferred form on both sides of the Atlantic. Every dictionary I've consulted gives 'broadcast' as the first entry for past participle of broadcast. However (and this was a surprise), all give 'broadcasted' as an alternative! That includes the OED and Miriam-Webster for both sides of the Atlantic. But none gives 'broadcasted' as anything more than an alternative. All of them give examples of use, and every one has an example for 'broadcast' as a past participle, but no example for 'broadcasted'.

Now, the modern practice is for dictionaries to be descriptive, rather than proscriptive - to explain how words are actually used, rather than how they should be used. Thus, it''s not too difficult to conclude that all dictionaries recognise 'broadcasted' as a fact, but none treats it with any authority.

Despite all this, "the programme the BBC broadcasted last week" just sounds wrong.

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

Despite all this, "the programme the BBC broadcasted last week" just sounds wrong.
                        Exactly! That's because it is.

As for those who use the term, we should "cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth."

I believe that it is no longer permitted to have prayers before council meetings, but as far as I know, we can still quote from KJV. In any case, I'm sure scottycelt will back me up.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

I believe that it is no longer permitted to have prayers before council meetings, but as far as I know, we can still quote from KJV. In any case, I'm sure scottycelt will back me up.
                          Last week's judgement is that since 1972 it has not been legal for prayers to be a formal part of Council meetings. There is nothing to stop people praying before Council meetings, in a different room.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

'Broadcast' is undoubtedly the preferred form on both sides of the Atlantic. Every dictionary I've consulted gives 'broadcast' as the first entry for past participle of broadcast. However (and this was a surprise), all give 'broadcasted' as an alternative! That includes the OED and Miriam-Webster for both sides of the Atlantic. But none gives 'broadcasted' as anything more than an alternative. All of them give examples of use, and every one has an example for 'broadcast' as a past participle, but no example for 'broadcasted'.

Now, the modern practice is for dictionaries to be descriptive, rather than proscriptive - to explain how words are actually used, rather than how they should be used. Thus, it''s not too difficult to conclude that all dictionaries recognise 'broadcasted' as a fact, but none treats it with any authority.

I could have forecasted that this would arise - and it has arised.

I would still say that those who support "broadcasted" don't have a casted-iron case - indeed, I have casted far and wide to see if there were any support - but very few votes were casted in favour. Or should it be favor.... But perhaps none of these things are casted in stone...

I write as an out-caste. Or should that be - out-casted...

Comment

• Beef Oven

I think I should comment, as I started it...

I don't have so much to do now, so I researched this a bit. 'Broadcast' is undoubtedly the preferred form on both sides of the Atlantic. Every dictionary I've consulted gives 'broadcast' as the first entry for past participle of broadcast. However (and this was a surprise), all give 'broadcasted' as an alternative! That includes the OED and Miriam-Webster for both sides of the Atlantic. But none gives 'broadcasted' as anything more than an alternative. All of them give examples of use, and every one has an example for 'broadcast' as a past participle, but no example for 'broadcasted'.

Broadcasted is a perfectly acceptable past participle and simple past tense of broadcast. It is British, rather than American and is in my school dictionary from 1968 as such (a rather prescriptive edition).

Funny enough, my dictionary does not carry the caveat that 'broadcasted', as both the past participle and simple past tense, is a mere fact and has no authority!
                              Last edited by Guest; 13-02-12, 16:03. Reason: changed 'tahn' to than. My dyslexia gets in the way sometimes.

Comment

• mangerton
                                • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=vinteuil;130539]I could have forecasted that this would arise - and it has arised.
                                QUOTE]

Should that not be "arosed"? Or possibly "ris", as in this famous poem:

"The spring is sprung, the grass is ris,
                                I wonder where dem boidies is."

Comment

Working...
                                X