Semantics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PatrickOD

... and then you have 'the total spend' on that 'new build'. And if it's shops you mean, you have to calculate the anticipated 'footfall'.
    I like 'footfall'!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PatrickOD View Post
      ... and then you have 'the total spend' on that 'new build'. And if it's shops you mean, you have to calculate the anticipated 'footfall'.
      I like 'footfall'!
      Speaking of footfall, a trip can mean at least 3 different things.

Comment

• PatrickOD

I like 'footfall' in at least three different ways.

Comment

• handsomefortune

calculate the anticipated tesco, more like!

Comment

• scottycelt

Last night at the Arsenal v Man City match, Alan Smith the commentator on Sky Sports reported that the ball was 'headed towards the top right-hand corner of the goal'. The player responsible actually used his right foot.

Yet another example of an inappropriate Americanism which has now replaced 'heading' in the UK media vocabulary for no other apparent reason than that they talk like that across 'the pond' and it is therefore considered 'cool'?

Comment

• PatrickOD

Jeez scotty, that's jest doggone ornery.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Now this is an odd list on the website of my local church. The 100 most commonly used English words:

a about after all also an and any as at back be because but by can come could day do even first for from get give good go have he her him his how I if in into it its just know like look make me most my new no now not of on one only or other our out over people say see she so some take the their there they time than that them then these think this to two up us use with you want way we well what who which when will work would year your

There is a first but not a last, a new but not an old, a me but not a you, a good but not a bad, an up but not a down, a day but not a night, a no but not a yes, a who, what, when and how but not a why.

Fascinating stuff.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

This site ranks the top 86800 words: http://www.wordcount.org/main.php

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Wow thanks - it only needs an extra zero and it will be more than the number of percentage points charged by banks for exceeding personal overdrafts. Incidentally in case anyone is interested:

French - 563
                    Football - 1533
                    Forum - 4686
                    Jazz - 6383
                    Tranquil - 15465
                    Bollocks - 15661
                    Custard - 15742
                    Pee - 22292
                    Nudge - 23168
                    Gong - 27905
                    Bassoon - 31279
                    Rhododendron - 34839
                    Skegness - 35567
                    Localism - 38619
                    Miliband - 40160
                    Zeitgeist - 53515
                    Charabanc - 55532
                    Sherratt - 67768
                    Aardvark - 71660
                    Twitter - 81352
                    Last edited by Guest; 15-12-11, 23:24.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                      Working on a day to day basis with brillant Ph. D. engineers from all over the world, I am often amused by their lack of knowledge of basic English.
                      An engineer and old friend of mine (PhD Cantab, now retired) is an exception. He was in charge of the visual telecoms division at BT Labs, and is a stickler for correct grammar and punctuation. He used to edit very thoroughly any research reports submitted by his staff - so much so that at his retirement gathering he was presented with a box of semicolons!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                        • May 2011

I know many will have seen this cartoon in Private Eye at Christmas, so apologies to them:

Scrooge is in bed, hiding under the sheets from a spirit, who says:

"I am the ghost of Christmas future perfect subjunctive - I will show you what would have happened to you , were you not to have changed your ways..."

Brilliant!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                          An engineer and old friend of mine (PhD Cantab, now retired) is an exception. He was in charge of the visual telecoms division at BT Labs, and is a stickler for correct grammar and punctuation. He used to edit very thoroughly any research reports submitted by his staff - so much so that at his retirement gathering he was presented with a box of semicolons!
                          What a wonderful tribute - I hope that he appreciated it

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

I've just noticed this on the BBC iPlayer website:

"This is most likely if the programme was broadcasted live".

Perhaps I should have said I'd just noticeded it.
                            Last edited by Pabmusic; 14-01-12, 05:23.

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

And on BT page it says that a certain phone is suspectible to being dropped down the toilet

Comment

• salymap
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Perhaps not really suitable as 'Semantics' but sure suspectible is not a word as used above on my BT home page for some time now. Don't they mean susceptible? Doesn't anyone at BT CARE?

Comment

Working...
                                X