X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ventilhorn
    • Sep 2024

Semantics

A thread where discussion can take place regarding correct spelling, grammar, pronounciation and word usage; together with the history of language development.

Nothing at all to do with performance of music, where threads are becoming more and more cluttered up with this sort of discussion, but is very interesting in its own right.

With the gradual erosion of the English language and its changing vocabulary ("a big ask" is an excellent example, "for sure" rather than "certainly" is another) there is plenty of scope for views on this subject.

Ventilhorn
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

'For Free' is the expression up with which I cannot put. [As Churchill very nearly said]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Indubitably, sir.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ventilhorn View Post
        A thread where discussion can take place regarding correct spelling, grammar, pronounciation and word usage; together with the history of language development.

Nothing at all to do with performance of music, where threads are becoming more and more cluttered up with this sort of discussion, but is very interesting in its own right.

With the gradual erosion of the English language and its changing vocabulary ("a big ask" is an excellent example, "for sure" rather than "certainly" is another) there is plenty of scope for views on this subject.

Ventilhorn
        I enjoyed this book very much

and it's pronunciation ( I'm certain that was a typo, VH - before salymap gives me a good ear-bashing )

Comment

• Simon

OK - can someone suggest a sensible and easy way to remember the differing correct usages of continually and continuously, please?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Simon View Post
            OK - can someone suggest a sensible and easy way to remember the differing correct usages of continually and continuously, please?

Thanks in advance.
            In pronunciation, the marked difference in the sssss sound.

Continuously means unceasingly, two sssss sounds.

Continually means time-after-time, regularly or frequently

I hope that helps

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              In pronunciation, the marked difference in the sssss sound.

Continuously means unceasingly, two sssss sounds.

Continually means time-after-time, regularly or frequently

I hope that helps

Indeed Ammy And yes, Hitchings's book is well worth a purchase!

The idiotic grammatical thing which makes me fume these days is the repetition of the verb when people highlight something e.g.,

"The thing is, is that it was raining"

I heard even an even worse variant yesterday: "The problem was, is that we couldn't find the key"

It's as if "the thing is" or "the problem was" is regarded as a sort of composite noun, requiring a verb

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ventilhorn View Post
                A thread where discussion can take place regarding correct spelling, grammar, pronounciation [sic] and word usage; together with the history of language development.

Ventilhorn
                ... well, for a start, you might wish to change the title of this thread, perhaps to 'Language' - because 'semantics' is restricted to that particular domain of linguistics concerned with meaning (as opposed to other grammatical issues such as syntax, stylistics, register, sociolinguistics, pronunciation, spelling, etymology &c)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... well, for a start, you might wish to change the title of this thread, perhaps to 'Language' - because 'semantics' is restricted to that particular domain of linguistics concerned with meaning (as opposed to other grammatical issues such as syntax, stylistics, register, sociolinguistics, pronunciation, spelling, etymology &c)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics
                  Oh bravo, vints!

I started trying to express these thoughts and gave up in the heat.

You, however, are made of sterner stuff and we are all in your debt

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Indeed Ammy And yes, Hitchings's book is well worth a purchase!

The idiotic grammatical thing which makes me fume these days is the repetition of the verb when people highlight something e.g.,

"The thing is, is that it was raining"

I heard even an even worse variant yesterday: "The problem was, is that we couldn't find the key"

It's as if "the thing is" or "the problem was" is regarded as a sort of composite noun, requiring a verb

Excellent points, Caliban!

But 'I am loving' your devilish new forehead slapper - Egad it moves!!

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

way to go , this thread.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                        • Nov 2010

"your devilish new forehead slapper - Egad it moves!!"
                        Agreed, thanks, Amateur51, it's MUCH more fun than the old ( now 'banned') 'doh'!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Ammy and Wald:

Go here: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php

Click on the [2] next to "Basic smileys"

The *Doh* is third up on the bottom right of the page.

Copy the "Forum code" in the box under the picture and simply paste into your message...

So easy....!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            I enjoyed this book very much

and it's pronunciation ( I'm certain that was a typo, VH - before salymap gives me a good ear-bashing )
                            It was a deliberate typo AM. I wanted to see how many people would pick me up on it.

Regarding "continually" and "continuously", I would define the first as being constant (and usually annoying) repetition and the second as being non-stop (like a nagging headache, or next door's pop music)

Looks like some worthwhile discussion coming up from some of the wordsmiths on these message boards.

VH

Comment

• amateur51

Ahm luvvin' it Caliban!!

Comment

Working...
                              X