X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bert Coules
    • Nov 2010

Do 78s have any collectible value?

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but here goes anyway...

I've acquired a hefty boxful of Wagner 78s (for younger readers, they were a bit like giant double-sided fragile compact discs in less imaginative packaging) mostly HMV. Things like the Coates Ring opera highlights, the Walter Walküre Act 1, that sort of territory. I haven't checked but I imagine that everything in the box is currently available on CD, remastered and generally cleaned up and probably at bargain price. And the discs weigh if not a ton then something not far off, so even if anyone wanted to buy them the postage would be horrendous.

So (within polite limits) what do I do with them? I hate the thought of throwing them away, but really they're just taking up space at the moment.

Bert
    Last edited by Bert Coules; 01-10-11, 11:53.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I am in a similar situation, having inherited a hefty converted commode full of 78s, 12", 10", classical and 1940s wartime hits, and would also be grateful for some advice on this matter.

S-A

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

try looking on ebay - some titles have a high 2nd hand value others zilch - depends on condition, condition + condition (of both vinyl + cover for LPs ) + genre (early classical LPs + jazz + some original pop albums of the 1960's ) ebay might give a guide but then try a reputable dealer - obviously in a mixed lot they will give a price based on recouping outlay + profit on the few valuable items

Comment

• Bert Coules
        • Nov 2010

I didn't know that there were any dealers in 78s. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Bert

Comment

• salymap
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Bert Coules, I asked about this sometime ago as I apparently have some good LPs, trios with Cortot, Thibaud,Casals, etc but I decided to buy a better LP Player and occasionally do give them a spin. It all seemed too much trouble to try and sell them.
          There are always charity shops of course

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Bert Coules View Post
            I didn't know that there were any dealers in 78s. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Bert
            It might be worth contacting Ray Glaspole, known to many as the manager of the CD Department at Blackwells Music shop in Oxford until a few years ago:

Glaspole Records - LONG-PLAYING AND 78rpm CLASSICAL RECORDS - We aim to offer unusual and interesting records of classical music on 78s and LPs not only in the mainstream of collecting but in all genres and on all labels where the record is of outstanding musical, interpretative or historical interest.

Comment

• hmvman
              • Mar 2007

There are many dealers in 78s, Bert. I collect 78s but I'm not an expert on values. All I would say is that they will have some value to somebody and I think complete album sets are attractive to collectors. As you say, they are expensive to post because of the weight and also the need to over-package because of the fragility of the shellac discs. You could try contacting the City of London Phonograph & Gramophone Society (CLPGS) to see if there's a known dealer in your area. Here's the contacts page of their site http://www.clpgs.org.uk/contacts_page.htm
              I belong to the Northern Group of the society and if you're based in the North I may be able to help you to find someone who would interested in the records.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                There are many dealers in 78s, Bert. I collect 78s but I'm not an expert on values. All I would say is that they will have some value to somebody and I think complete album sets are attractive to collectors. As you say, they are expensive to post because of the weight and also the need to over-package because of the fragility of the shellac discs. You could try contacting the City of London Phonograph & Gramophone Society (CLPGS) to see if there's a known dealer in your area. Here's the contacts page of their site http://www.clpgs.org.uk/contacts_page.htm
                I belong to the Northern Group of the society and if you're based in the North I may be able to help you to find someone who would interested in the records.
                Many thanks!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

My impression is that standard-UK-label post-WWII 78s are very unlikely to be worth anything. The rarer the label and the further you go back before 1939 the better your chances. But years ago I picked up a nice little album of 10" and 12" single-sided acoustic Gramophone & Typewriters in VGC, but was very disappointed with valuations! I still have them all.

Another factor is condition. Many 78s got badly worn by hard needles and mega tracking weights. In my experience the condition of 78s is even harder to judge by eye than LPs.
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                  X