X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

You haven't responded to the specific points I made, specifically, in answer to yours.

This is no debate: I keep answering your points in detail, you quote them in full, and then go waffling off on more points of your own.

End of discussion.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      As for yourself, you now seem to be saying that AV is indeed a poor system so why castigate anyone else for daring to say so?
      So which system of proportional representation would you prefer?

Comment

• handsomefortune

What's to debate about rubbish?

a twice a week collection in this weather, as it absolutely stinks?

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post

I thought we were supposed to be saving money ?
          People throw away far too much as it is
          we have recycling one week and landfill rubbish the next , perfect

this total waste of money trying to buy votes by getting weekly bin collections when there are many vulnerable people in need of more support stinks !

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            I thought we were supposed to be saving money ?
            People throw away far too much as it is
            we have recycling one week and landfill rubbish the next , perfect

this total waste of money trying to buy votes by getting weekly bin collections when there are many vulnerable people in need of more support stinks !
            the answer to rubbish and landfill is to consume a lot less. Every ton of refuse that we create has produced 70 tons of waste in the manufacturing process..apparently.

of course consuming less means a different kind of economics, and lower incomes.. in the short term at least.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

What do you put in your rubbish that stinks? Do you not have a separate kitchen waste collection? In Bristol we have a weekly collection of recycling box, garden and kitchen waste and a fortnightly wheelie bin (landfill) collection. I certainly hope they won't go back to weekly wheelie bin collections.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                So which system of proportional representation would you prefer?
                Floss, I was not under the impression that I have ever expressed a great desire to replace our current system with any form of PR?

But there you go ... 'wad some Pow'r the gift tae gie us', eh ... ?

Comment

• handsomefortune

just to continue the debate about rubbish (a bit longer) .....

perhaps get more wheely bins off the streets; and/or be a bit more imaginative about tying landfill bin bags up; this weather, perhaps bury really smelly things int back garden.

buy votes by getting weekly bin collections

shhhhh it's instead of an economic policy mrgonggong. for 'growth' ....look in your green wheely bin!

(but seriously - just moaning a bit, as i had a hot & smelly cycle ride today, should've taken a clothes peg, or face mask)!

on the issue of 'consuming less' teamsaint - it's difficult, and perhaps 'we' can't? consumerism is the only 'industry' we have had in the uk for the last 15yrs. having large wheely bins over flowing with rubbish is a status symbol, of sorts: it proves that you both spend money on pointless things and eat food=doing well.

although perhaps you/one become more conscious of this equation, as outlined, when you opt for small size landfill/recycle bin, and people have the cheek to look smug, as your consumption levels are obviously small!

Comment

• handsomefortune

What do you put in your rubbish that stinks?

i'm not referring to my own landfill bin tbh frenchfrank ....

but now you come to mention it, meat absolutely stinks to those who don't eat it.

rancid meat 'cooking' in a bin on a day as hot as this is really gross ...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Nothing. We have the same system here. Weekly garden/food waste, bottles & cans, paper (which includes tetrapacks, cereal packets etc), heavy duty cardboard goes in with garden waste. Everything is recycled, garden/food waste & card goes to the worm farm, which produces compost for resale. Food waste (inc. bones) is put in starch sacks and then into container which locks via the handle. No stinks and no vermin. Simples. The only thing that should be in your fortnightly rubbish bin collection is the occasional polystyrene packaging and shrinkwrap. Most people here without a large family find a normal bin collection is really only necessary once a month now.

I really don't see why people get in such a flap about rubbish collection, sometimes the Daily Mail gets positively hysterical (but they are very anti-recycling and not very green I think)

edit: In other words, having food waste collected every week is no different as regards odours as when bin collections were weekly. In fact, as it's sealed and separate it's obviously less whiffy.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

We have the luxury in Hammersmith of two bin collections every week, and they both pick up both recyclable 'smart sack' bags and non-recyclable stuff.

I think the only stuff that smells in what I chuck out is if there has been crushed garlic....

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          Nothing. We have the same system here. Weekly garden/food waste, bottles & cans, paper (which includes tetrapacks, cereal packets etc), heavy duty cardboard goes in with garden waste. Everything is recycled, garden/food waste & card goes to the worm farm, which produces compost for resale. Food waste (inc. bones) is put in starch sacks and then into container which locks via the handle. No stinks and no vermin. Simples. The only thing that should be in your fortnightly rubbish bin collection is the occasional polystyrene packaging and shrinkwrap. Most people here without a large family find a normal bin collection is really only necessary once a month now.

I really don't see why people get in such a flap about rubbish collection, sometimes the Daily Mail gets positively hysterical (but they are very anti-recycling and not very green I think)

edit: In other words, having food waste collected every week is no different as regards odours as when bin collections were weekly. In fact, as it's sealed and separate it's obviously less whiffy.
                          The reason they get in a flap is that they pay a lot of council tax to have an often poor quality and inappropriate service that they see as being "imposed " on them by seriously over paid council executives.
                          Recycling is really only part of a problem of over consumption.
                          Still , at least round my way I can get some free entertainment every thursday watching the over 80's over the road struggle up the path with wheelie bins that weigh more than they do. Its a great laugh !!
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Anna

frenchie will know better than I but our Council (and therefor all Councils I imagine) have been set targets to meet as regards landfill reduction and recycling. I know our Council has won some awards for achieving or beating the targets. Also, here in Wales free carrier bags in supermarkets have been abolished, you are expected to use your own longlife ones or be charged for the plastic ones. Very sensible.
                            Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            I can get some free entertainment every thursday watching the over 80's over the road struggle up the path with wheelie bins that weigh more than they do. Its a great laugh !!
                            If an elderly or infirm person struggles with a bin the Council collect from the back door.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

i'm not referring to my own landfill bin tbh frenchfrank ....

but now you come to mention it, meat absolutely stinks to those who don't eat it.

rancid meat 'cooking' in a bin on a day as hot as this is really gross ...
                              handsomefortune, if you are quoting another person's message in yours, could you use the 'reply with quote' option, (like I did for this message) instead of simply putting the words in bold? then we could at least understand that you are responding to another message, & not going of on some route of your own.

Ta (mate).

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

We changed this week. Food waste to be separated for the first time. I think this will help me to save money on food. If you have to faff around on disposal, you might as well do the same for consumption. Divide the baked beans in a big can by two etc.

We have been given 50 biodegradable bags. Then it's newspaper or buying our own. That's a bit stingy.

We were all putting out the box with paper and the box with tins and glass on the same fortnight. Now it's one week for one and the other week for the other. The latter has no top so tonight it is exposed to the elements and the wildlife while the one with paper is at the front for collection.

We now have to wash dessert pots and plastic containers as well as glass and tins. It is ok but the washing up takes much longer. I find it difficult to believe that most people are actually doing it.

There is a lot of "what do we do with these then?" - toothpaste tubes, crisp packets, shiny chocolate bar wrappers, fat, cellophane, wet kitchen roll. All still going in the main dustbin now collected fortnightly.

London Borough of Croydon had their last green collection of the year before the end of September. Ludicrous. The leaves haven't yet fallen. And what are we supposed to do in the next six months with pot plants that have died?

Comment

Working...
                                X