X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon
    • Jul 2024

The Red Flag's flagging a bit... Lol.

Oh dear. Excruciating! The commie anthem in its worst ever performance. And Ed doesn't know the words.

**** Beware: not suitable for music lovers ****

Having spent every hour since his speech trying to convince us that he's not lurching to the left, Ed didn't look too happy singing the Red Flag this

I didn't dare listen to them with Jerusalem!
  • amateur51

Not a patch on this ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Commie Anthem? I thought it was a German Christmas song about a tree. Hey ho.....Maybe they'll do better another day.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Ammy I knew that link was to Redwood! But I think the Labour fiasco shades it ! The flutes at the beginning of Jerusalem....
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Simon

I might have known that amateur would link to Redwood - the facile knee-jerk that one would expect.

But let us not forget that Land of my Fathers was being sung in a foreign language that few outside Wales have the chance to learn - and many in Wales don't know. Yes, Redwood should have been prepared for the anthem, but in reality no big deal. Better to have respectfully kept his mouth shut though, IMO.

But even I know the words to the Red Flag! And to the alternative version.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Simon View Post
            I might have known that amateur would link to Redwood - the facile knee-jerk that one would expect.

But let us not forget that Land of my Fathers was being sung in a foreign language that few outside Wales have the chance to learn - and many in Wales don't know. Yes, Redwood should have been prepared for the anthem, but in reality no big deal. Better to have respectfully kept his mouth shut though, IMO.

But even I know the words to the Red Flag! And to the alternative version.
            Welsh is not, of course, a foreign language but one of several languages spoken within the United Kingdom

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Take a chill pill Simon. Redwood makes just as big a knob of himself as Ed squared and their gang.

Amateur's clip is the perfect counterpoint - what the Labourists achieve in sheer cloth-eared lack of musicality, Redwood matches in head-wagging extraterrestrial creepiness
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by mercia; 30-09-11, 06:46.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Welsh is not, of course, a foreign language but one of several languages spoken within the United Kingdom
                  Oh but "Welsh" is, by etymology, foreign, is it not?

As to the Tory-lite rendition of The Red Flag (words, at least, originating on a train journey for London's Charing Cross to New Cross in 1899) to the wrong music (it was written to be sung to The White Cockade), it was pretty much par for the course.

Last edited by Bryn; 30-09-11, 06:46.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Oh but "Welsh" is, by etymology, foreign, is it not?
                    ah, Bryn - but for the Welsh, Welsh isn't "Welsh"...

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ah, Bryn - but for the Welsh, Welsh isn't "Welsh"...
                      Come to think of it, if 'Simon' is indeed a native of the Peak District, he may well be somewhat Wilisc himself, the "Peak" of "Peak District" relating to "Pict" rather than anything to do with the hilly topography of the area.

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Oh dear. Excruciating! The commie anthem in its worst ever performance. And Ed doesn't know the words.

**** Beware: not suitable for music lovers ****

Having spent every hour since his speech trying to convince us that he's not lurching to the left, Ed didn't look too happy singing the Red Flag this

I didn't dare listen to them with Jerusalem!
                        Definitely the best laugh I've had for ages - and if you look carefully, I am pretty sure that even the normally po-faced Harriet Harman is having difficulty stifling a laugh. Who in their right mind decided on these performers?

Comment

• Mandryka

That performance suggests the performers are taking some kind of personal revenge on the song/tune.

Surprised that they still drag this one out....Labour, as a Party, long ago distanced itself from the sentiments expressed in it.

I believe the Liberals sing a dreary dirge called 'The Land' at their conference, but the Tories don't have any kind of 'theme tune.'

Comment

• greenilex
                            • Nov 2010

But Ed knows the difference between "will" and "shall" and I respect him for it.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                              I believe the Liberals sing a dreary dirge called 'The Land' at their conference
                              A militant battle song, not a dirge, usually sung at the evening 'glee'. It's a call for a Land Value Tax: the land belongs to the people, so those who have use of it (temporary 'owners') should pay rent to the community for it. Good stuff (much harder for the wealthy to move it abroad) - it probably isn't sung any more musically though with a lot of raucous enthusiasm drowning out the quavery octogenarian cradle Liberals who've been singing it since birth and still come to conference
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X