Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PatrickOD

That final debate can be found here:

Watch all your favourite TV shows Live or On Demand on your PC, smartphone or tablet for free.

21.40 this evening.

Comment

• PatrickOD

I watched the debate. It was good television, imo. The infamous art of the ambush was once again deployed, instigated by one of the candidates. Questions from the audience were quite sidelined, judging from the next day's headlines. The big story was the passing, or not, of an indeterminately coloured envelope to a person who might have been significantly involved with a certain Party in government at a delicate time. It could have been a story about the differences, if any, between murder and collateral damage - but it wasn't. It was hard to be attentively fair to what all the candidates were trying to put across on their own behalf in the light of the more sensational moments - but that's show business.

Here is the story; the debate can also be found on the link in 'Related Stories'.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by PatrickOD View Post
        I watched the debate. It was good television, imo. The infamous art of the ambush was once again deployed, instigated by one of the candidates. Questions from the audience were quite sidelined, judging from the next day's headlines. The big story was the passing, or not, of an indeterminately coloured envelope to a person who might have been significantly involved with a certain Party in government at a delicate time. It could have been a story about the differences, if any, between murder and collateral damage - but it wasn't. It was hard to be attentively fair to what all the candidates were trying to put across on their own behalf in the light of the more sensational moments - but that's show business.

Here is the story; the debate can also be found on the link in 'Related Stories'.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1025/president.htm
        "Sorry - the page you are looking for cannot be found"

Comment

• PatrickOD

I'll try this one Bryn.

Get all of the latest breaking local and international news stories as they happen, with up to the minute updates and analysis, from Ireland's National Broadcaster

Yes, it works for me. The story, and the debate are there.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by PatrickOD View Post
            I'll try this one Bryn.

Get all of the latest breaking local and international news stories as they happen, with up to the minute updates and analysis, from Ireland's National Broadcaster

Yes, it works for me. The story, and the debate are there.
            This is all very dramatic, Patrick - now 20 mins into the debate and wheels are falling off all over - fascinating

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Yep. That link works for me too. Thanks.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                • Nov 2010

Only getting to see it now. Dem Dublin floods wurss a soign I'm tellin' ya!! Jaysus, peopulll of Ireland - tink verrrryyy carefully now!!!!

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

Well, out of a relatively small number of presidential campaigns, this being the ninth, Ireland has never seen anything like it.

Seven individuals who have lined themselves up to say everything that is asked of them, from issues of litter to nuclear proliferation; and all in a bid, to seek election to an office in which they will be expected, nay required, to say NOTHING. Truly remarkable. Perhaps, one might even say, wonderfully, quirkily Irish.

So, having watched this final debate, it occurs to me that the toughest question facing Ireland's voters on Thursday will be, not, who to vote for, but who not to vote for. For, all seven candidates have come across as very credible and they have also stayed the course in equal measure.

Tonight's debate was deftly handled by Pat Kenny. Indeed, he ran the best conducted of the debates. Helped by his relaxed hosting (with a not a remote sign of nerves) he brought a calm and conisdered sense of final reckoning into the room. Really, the one controversy of the night was Martin McGuinness who, realising he was more likely to win as a Euro Lottery billionaire, lashed up from the canvass with a fierce body blow to 'the man most likely to ... ', almost as if say to say 'it may not be me, but it certainly isn't going to be you, Gallagher'. How all unifying of him.

And yet perhaps, history might record that McGuinness was in the right place, at the right time. It was was a strong and verifiable call, making an accusation of Gallagher personally soliciting Fianna Fail party donations and even going so far, it was alleged, as to pop round to the donor's house to get the cheque, in person. None of this criminal behaviour, except very indicative of the kind of dealings that Gallagher has tired throughout the campaign to distance himself from.

Really, Gallagher is the lest unknown and traceable of the candidates. If he is is to be believed, he can sleep in a bed for weeks without a change of the sheets. Well, nobody's that clean no matter how many washes with Daz blue whitener.

I'm not saying he has anything to hide, but his apologies for a past political youth come out in the wash as clear as Martin McGuinness's 'Me a terrorist? ... No, nay, never no moree!!!!!' t-shirts. Still with a grey hue.

Over the last 48 hours, this issue has not abated, and the lead candidate has taken a direct hit. Whether it is below the waterline or not, we do not have long to wait to find out.

Otherwise, the debate was entirely genial and all the participants plausibly presidential.

David Norris gets the court jester award for the night and proved most amusing to the studio audience. Michael Higgins also amused while Mitchell and the lady that aspired to be 'Mary in the Park III' appeared merely bemused, not to say disappeared, while Dana remained mostlly confused. She still thinks the campaign's alive and that the nation may give her the vote yet.

Tomorrow, Ireland decides and the spotlight now turns on the Irish people. How will THEY conduct themselves in this presidential race. They have declared themselves thoroughly sick of the politicians, but how successfully will they rise above the fray and leave behind their past displays of partisanship and clientilism.

I will watch with eager anticipation.

SHB
                  Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 26-10-11, 10:59.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                    • Nov 2010

The Irish Independent has this take on Gallagher's Gaffe >>>>

Comment

• PatrickOD

Reporting on the campaign has now closed. Although I don't have a vote I hope Michael D wins. Having said that I have to recognise that all the candidates have their core support throughout the country, and all supporters are hoping for their own candidate. Each will have to have not only all of his/her own supporters' votes, but enough of the others' second (or over) preferences to reach the required majority of 50% plus 1. It seems to me to be the only fair way of arriving at a decision, otherwise we could have a winner who commands only 40% or less of the electorate. Whatever the result, I think a real election is preferable by far than the old system of unopposed nomination and makes the title of Democratic Republic mean something, and, of course, makes the President a President of the people by definition, and not by their having to claim so.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                        • Nov 2010

I'm glad Patrick you explained the aspect of a reporting shutdown, because I was looking for last minute reportage and finding nuttin' thinking the media had forgotten about the race at all.

I don't altogether share your concern about the extent of a victor's majority, or lack of it. Second preferences, which in the wake of the week's 'storm in a teacup' revelations, look like they will have a significant role to play and I think they should have a measure and a weight as much as a first preference for any other particular candidate.

In any event, the President's mandate is enshrined in the constitution such as it is. A president who makes it to the 'Aras' by just a single vote is every bit the the president of the millions.

Essentially, what this has all been about is finding a new figurehead to grace the bow of the nation's vessel. Whether she, or he, be red, green, or blue, just, honest and true, a one legged muslim, or jew/Let him-she be pure, constant and steady, a turra a loo!
                        Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 27-10-11, 09:14.

Comment

• PatrickOD

Encouraging news for some.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                            • Nov 2010

Yes, it's early days but the signs are encouraging. However, the turnout has disappointed somewhat. The presidential election aside, there were two constiutional reform proposals being put before the people.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                              Yes, it's early days but the signs are encouraging. However, the turnout has disappointed somewhat. The presidential election aside, there were two constiutional reform proposals being put before the people.
                              If those early results are right, Ireland can heqave a great sigh of relief. Envelope man would be a disaster for 7 years and Gay Mitchell is the worst example of a grey politician it's been my misfortune to witness for a while.

Another development sincerely to be wished for is a greater audience for David Norris on UK's airwaves - his witty asides in the last debate had me creased and while he may be politically naive, his heart's in the right place.

I trust that these comments don't contravene any election instructions - I don't want giving me the Eye of the Tiger again

Comment

Working...
                              X