X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hmvman
    • Mar 2007

Warrington's Cavaille-Coll Organ

I've just seen this rather worrying blog by Stephen Hough on the Telegraph site http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...plendid-organ/

I heard this organ a few years ago and it was magnificent. I can hardly believe that a splendid and historic instrument like this can be under threat in the 21st Century but then I'm probably just naive! I'm not sure whether e-petitions are the way forward but I'll probably sign this one to register concern.
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

the catch is that Warrington, home of the famous academy where Priestly taught,, like radio 3 has dumbed down - the hall which even pre WW2 was used mostly for dances (my parents knew it well) but no longer fits modern uses - I have only one recording from it (Peter Collins I think) playing an all French programme - there is I think another recording by Murray Stewart again a French programme (all Lois Verne)

Comment

• hmvman
      • Mar 2007

Yes, Frances, I get the impression that the 'authorities' in Warrington have no care for this instrument. The move to the church does on the face of it seem a solution. I spoke to an organist friend of mine who knows this organ well and he said that he'd wanted to bring it to York. Apparently it was supposed to be going to Sheffield Cathedral but that scheme fell through a few weeks ago.
      Last edited by hmvman; 26-09-11, 12:16. Reason: typo

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

putting it in St Mary's would be good - not quite the oldest RC church in Warrington (that is St Albans almost next door to Parr Hall) but probably the most appropraite place - I think possibly the last of the Benedictine run churches in Warrington but certainly seen as the main RC church in the town - however moving organs costs a lot of money!

Comment

Working...
        X