Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Sweet shot by your compadre, Padraig.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Well, the Sky coverage of the NatWest T20 Blast is IMO a disgrace.
      The 'commentators' are making it all about them and the ludicrous crowd. The cricket is increasingly incidental.
      Flintoff is way, way OTT and being encouraged by Keogh.
      I thought Atherton / Hussain / Lloyd etc had more integrity than this. Their coverage of the Tests has been immaculate. but...........
      .....yes, it's a fantastic cricketing occasion, but that Sky team has hi-jacked it. And made into a series of self-promos.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Well, the Sky coverage of the NatWest T20 Blast is IMO a disgrace.
        The 'commentators' are making it all about them and the ludicrous crowd. The cricket is increasingly incidental.
        Flintoff is way, way OTT and being encouraged by Key
        I thought Atherton / Hussain / Lloyd etc had more integrity than this. Their coverage of the Tests has been immaculate. but...........
        .....yes, it's a fantastic cricketing occasion, but that Sky team has hi-jacked it. And made into a series of self-promos.
        With the T 20 Blast format I can see the TV companies wanting mixed male and female teams of an equal number in the future and I don't think too far away either.
        Last edited by DracoM; 20-07-19, 22:57.

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Draco and Stan, hijacking the only golf thread for your own nefarious purposes is, if I may appropriate a phrase, just not cricket.

I wanted to mention the current Open Championship at Royal Portrush, in particular the failed attempts by Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods to make the cut for the final two rounds. What a shame. However, there is still room for drama in tomorrow's finish; can Shane Lowry (Ireland), hold off the challenge from Tommy Fleetwood (England); or are there another challengers to make a bid? What happened to Rory could happen to anybody - but will it? Tune in for for a performance as exciting as the First Night of the Proms.

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Yes, no and no.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Maybe the thread ought to be named the 'VERY small white ball game'?
              Apologies for gate-crashing - if that's what it was.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

Great News! Europe has won the Solheim Cup.(That's us, at the moment)

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Comment

• un barbu
                    • Jun 2017

I last played seriously as an undergraduate at St Andrews but gave up on moving to London (cost). I now find that the park/woodland opposite my new flat has a 9 hole par 3 course so I intend to get back out there next year. A mashie niblick and a putter should be all I need.
                    Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by un barbu View Post
                      I last played seriously as an undergraduate at St Andrews but gave up on moving to London (cost). I now find that the park/woodland opposite my new flat has a 9 hole par 3 course so I intend to get back out there next year. A mashie niblick and a putter should be all I need.
                      In my experience you could also use a ball or two, un barbu.

Comment

• un barbu
                        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        In my experience you could also use a ball or two, un barbu.
                        The way I used to play I shall need several.
                        Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by un barbu View Post
                          The way I used to play I shall need several.
                          Now you're talking!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                            Now you're talking!
                            Talking of which, I played Strathtay the other week, Padraig, a quirky wee nine-holer just outside of Aberfeldy. A couple of holes I could have used a pair of crampons to scale the mountains they put between you and the cup. Lost a pile of balls in the process, and as happens in such circumstances, found a pile of balls, mostly better than the old totties I lost and that I am accustomed to firing off into the wild green yonder. By the time we got to the ninth the lightning appeared - exciting, and rather drookit wee day out.

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              Talking of which, I played Strathtay the other week, Padraig, a quirky wee nine-holer just outside of Aberfeldy. A couple of holes I could have used a pair of crampons to scale the mountains they put between you and the cup. Lost a pile of balls in the process, and as happens in such circumstances, found a pile of balls, mostly better than the old totties I lost and that I am accustomed to firing off into the wild green yonder. By the time we got to the ninth the lightning appeared - exciting, and rather drookit wee day out.
                              Thank God for lightning, John. It's the perfect excuse for cutting short a game. Otherwise a body might be tempted to fling bag, clubs, balls and all into the nearest ditch (and who know what's in there).

You say, 'a drookit wee day'.
                              I say, 'I was drooked.'

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                                Thank God for lightning, John. It's the perfect excuse for cutting short a game. Otherwise a body might be tempted to fling bag, clubs, balls and all into the nearest ditch (and who know what's in there).

You say, 'a drookit wee day'.
                                I say, 'I was drooked.'

Comment

Working...
                                X