X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Mendelssohn & Elbow

I know that we should switch from Radio 4 to 3 at 9am, but perhaps we should switch from 3 to 2 at 11pm to find out (from Charles Hazlewood) the connection between Mendelssohn and Elbow's Lippy Kids

Charles Hazlewood explores the links between seemingly unconnected pieces of music.
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The Radio Times says CH 'has managed to bring classical music to the masses without the use of low-cut tops,medieval costume or silly hairstyles'. Watch this space, that may give him more idea

However, I confess to enjoying his Mendn MND, done in that old City building. If he would only forego some of his gimmicks.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      The Radio Times says CH 'has managed to bring classical music to the masses without the use of low-cut tops,medieval costume or silly hairstyles'. Watch this space, that may give him more idea
      CH has been known to have one more button undone on his flowery shirt than is strictly necessary, revealing some rather off-putting chest hair

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
        some rather off-putting chest hair
        Speak for yourself. I've never found chest hair off-putting.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          Speak for yourself. I've never found chest hair off-putting.
          All things in moderation!

Comment

• mercia
            • Nov 2010

thought I ought to listen to this, having started the thread. A sort of "Discovering Music" for Radio2, basically disc-spinning interspersed with not-too-heavy musical analysis (the first time "ground bass" has been said on R2?) that managed to take in, amongst others Schnittke, Mendelssohn, Kenny Rogers, Joy Division, Purcell and Rachmaninov. Not sure I'll be tuning in for the other five in the series but quite interesting. I think the best thing for me was hearing again the traditional song Greenland's Coast (Over the hills & far away).

Comment

Working...
            X