X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... it was for this [tweetie pies] that they closed the old MB for ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Russ View Post
      Most of their followers are professional media types.
      Even from R3, like Peter Meanwell who seems to pop up regularly. Is he the only one at R3 with a Twitter account other than SMP and Petroc?

"Morning early risers! Delicious Faure coming up in a moment, and stormy Vivaldi from Fabio Biondi. Breakfast on @BBCRadio3 - on now till 9am."

"Listening to some fab new CDs I might play on @BBCRadio3 Breakfast this week. Up bright & early tomorrow - tune in from 6.30am!"

Let's be honest - this is just a desperate form of advertising, isn't it?

"This above all: to thine own self be true,
      And it must follow, as the night the day,
      Thou canst not then be false to any man
      ."

Words of wisdom from William Shakespeare (1564-1616), an old UK playwright.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        William Shakespeare (1564-1616), an old UK playwright.
        Does he have a Twitter account?

Comment

• Russ

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Let's be honest - this is just a desperate form of advertising, isn't it?
          Oh yes, desparate, shameless and dumb, as we have noted before.

Russ
          Last edited by Guest; 26-09-11, 15:14. Reason: Added 'and dumb'

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            She's clearly worryingly addicted. No wonder she sounds flustered on air, spending most of her time obvious tweeting instead of paying attention ot what is going on round her.

Poor lass. Lost in Tweetland which she now thinks of as a real place.
            Yes, I have often wondered how folk manage to spare the time to engage in all of this. My work is nothing like as exciting as presenting a radio programme for a national radio channel, but even so I still can't spare time to Tweet, in fact I would actually begrudge doing so.

Comment

• Russ

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              Yes, I have often wondered how folk manage to spare the time to engage in all of this.
              When the programme is on air, the Producer and Studio Managers will do most of the work.

Russ

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Which begs the question, Russ, what did the likes of Petroc and SMP do BEFORE the arrival of Twitter?

Comment

• Frances_iom
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                  Which begs the question, Russ, what did the likes of Petroc and SMP do BEFORE the arrival of Twitter?
                  answers on a postcard please

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                    answers on a postcard please
                    Hey...don't give the Radio 3 programmers ideas! They'll incorporate it as another VoxPop question for listener's to answer.

Comment

• Russ

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                      Hey...don't give the Radio 3 programmers ideas!
                      Postcards? Narr, far too modern. I think Monty Python had that one sorted a long, long time ago.

Russ

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

serious question, when did anyone learn anything valuable from a tweet , that they wouldn't have learned better and in more depth just very slightly later?

It really is a lowest common denominator form of communication.

I would despair, but I don't have time right now.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Russ

teamsaint - tweets can be valuable if used as a news aggregator, and I've found it useful for that purpose. In many instances, I would not have 'learned better and in more depth very slightly later'. I know what you mean about it being a lowest common denominator, but one could say that about any string of letters that make up a sentence or a paragraph or a page or a book - it's comes down to where an imperfect line is drawn, and we all draw that line differently according to different individual purposes.

Russ

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Radio 3's tweets are just advertisements. That has its use, but beyond that they're singularly unenlightening. Not worth reading other than to marvel at the banality in which intelligent people can be persuaded to wallow.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              serious question, when did anyone learn anything valuable from a tweet , that they wouldn't have learned better and in more depth just very slightly later?

It really is a lowest common denominator form of communication.

I would despair, but I don't have time right now.
                              This may have been the case, and still the case in some instances but it really depends on the tweeter. you can follow twitterers who post links to other webpages or other media which you would not otherwise find. For example, I follow some architectural and musical types that post links to extremely interesting and informative articles. It is what you make of it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                                This may have been the case, and still the case in some instances but it really depends on the tweeter. you can follow twitterers who post links to other webpages or other media which you would not otherwise find. For example, I follow some architectural and musical types that post links to extremely interesting and informative articles. It is what you make of it.
                                ok, well I posed it as a serious question, and your response is helpful.

if you could supply a link to a decent musical twitterer I will give it a go !!
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X