X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Is that a rose of gratitude and tribute, bbm, or a rose upon the coffin???
    Something of a thorny question, Caliban.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Listening to ClassicFM-Lite this morning, I was of two minds about these early morning programmes. Do I continue to listen and so hear for the first time that delightful Finzi this morning or do I switch off. Seems to me that it comes down to three elements.

First is the presenter and here everyone has a personal preference.

It seems to me that the choice or preference for presenter is pertinent throughout the day. Personally I don't take any issue with Petroc Trelawney nor SMP. In fact as far as SMP goes, quite the opposite as I like her voice and style. I reserve my bile and opprobrium for the likes of Susie Klein, Chi-Chi whatever (who thankfully seems to have disappeared) and the ever-ebullient, nauseatingly bouncy Headmistressy tone of Ms Derham. In the latter case, I simply cannot get out of my head the vision of her, while the music is playing, sitting reading OK magazine while waiting for her fingernails to dry. But, personal preference is what it's all about.

Second is whether or not snippets have any place. I'm trying to remember but I do have a sense that before ClassicFM-Lite got into it's stride that the early morning programmes had more cohesion. Less snippets from symphonies. But again I guess I could live with that.... maybe ...if it wasn't for the third point.

Third is what really really gets me and has me swearing at the radio. Yup...."Eyema Pratt has just emailed to tell me that he thinks that the weather today is perfect for the Blue Danube. Thank you, Eyema, for sharing that with us". Actually, no, Eyema. We don't thank you. Your email was pointless. Empty of content. Vacuous. I get more valid classical information from the posters on this forum then I ever will from those interminable texts.

Actually after this morning, Rob, and you reading out that banal email about Sibelius, the decision has been made for me. My wife has finally banned me from listening to Radio 3 in the mornings. My string of expletives is frightening the cattle and the chickens have stopped laying.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Radio 3 is only worth hearing from lunchtime onwards these days. I have come to this conclusion.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Radio 3 (1946-2011) you are sadly missed.

Comment

• austin

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            Radio 3 (1946-2011) you are sadly missed.
            RIPR3

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Radio 3 is only worth hearing from lunchtime onwards these days. I have come to this conclusion.
              That's a fair assessment. Radio 3 might just as well shut down until 12.00 noon and leave Classic FM to do the rest.

But I think the name "Radio 2.7" is more appropriate at present. The decimal figure can be adjusted from time to time - hopefully upwards, but I'm far from optimistic.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                That's a fair assessment. Radio 3 might just as well shut down until 12.00 noon and leave Classic FM to do the rest.

After all, there's no difference.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                  After all, there's no difference.
                  you mean you can't tell coke from pepsi - all that salary spent on the director seems totally wasted -his career pre BBC was convincing people there was a difference!
                  Last edited by Frances_iom; 25-09-11, 16:30.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

Perhaps we should rename it diet radio 3 (may contain nuts!)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      Perhaps we should rename it diet radio 3 (may contain nuts!)
                      There's nothing wrong with nuts.

Comment

• Panjandrum

First is the presenter and here everyone has a personal preference.

Personally I don't take any issue with Petroc Trelawney nor SMP. In fact as far as SMP goes, quite the opposite as I like her voice and style. I reserve my bile and opprobrium for the likes of Susie Klein, Chi-Chi whatever (who thankfully seems to have disappeared) and the ever-ebullient, nauseatingly bouncy Headmistressy tone of Ms Derham.
                        I'm afraid SMP has been touting for more listener experiences again.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                          I'm afraid SMP has been touting for more listener experiences again.
                          Oh Lord...I don't normally do Twitter but had to follow your link to see what it's all about. Please, pass me the sick bucket, someone. There is something about the shallowness of Twitter that I find profoundly depressing within the human experience.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

She's clearly worryingly addicted. No wonder she sounds flustered on air, spending most of her time obvious tweeting instead of paying attention ot what is going on round her.

Poor lass. Lost in Tweetland which she now thinks of as a real place.

Comment

• Don Petter

Oh Lord...I don't normally do Twitter but had to follow your link to see what it's all about. Please, pass me the sick bucket, someone. There is something about the shallowness of Twitter that I find profoundly depressing within the human experience.
                              I have just done likewise, my first look at Twitter, following my first look at Facebook (see other thread). Ugh! How depressing both are. I suppose the medium is not to blame for the triteness of the content, so other tweets might not be as cringe-making as SMP's, but I'm not encouraged to find out.

[Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells mode/off]

Comment

• Russ

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                She's clearly worryingly addicted.
                                It's a good rule of thumb that BBC types don't tweet unless they're natural media sluts or encouraged to do so for a specific purpose. SMP and PT are in the latter camp I suspect, although PT seems more at home in the medium than SMP is. Most of their followers are professional media types. Despite many of their tweets being reinforced by retweeting by the far larger reach (4.8k followers) of the official R3 tweet source, this won't be operating during Breakfast programme hours. Whether SMP or PT have enough Breakfast-listening punter followers by themselves to sustain the type of campaign that the R3 hierarchy is desiring for the programme is unknown, but it only takes a few (there were 10 or so tweets to SMP during this morning's show) to reinforce the 'new programme style' and a claim of success to be made.

Russ

Comment

Working...
                                X