X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

It was a 2002 Charlie Sheen... Delicious.

If only 20:02 had been the time, but it was more like 02:02...

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      The utterly hideous trailing of forthcoming items on Breakfast with bleeding gobbets of music brutally hacked from the score continues at both 0659 and 0759.

Which wasn't done at 07:59 this morning.

Interesting.
      Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 23-09-11, 09:27.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Well I'm pretty sure that the butchery did not take place yesterday, Thursday, at 0659 but definitely did at 0759; and it definitely did at 0659 today, Friday, whereas I was out of the room at 0759 today and defer to SHB.

Sapristi! They're playing with us!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          It was a 2002 Charlie Sheen... Delicious.
          You should have tweeted that in to Petroc, he was going on about wine the other day and a really expensive, £8.99, bottle of Algerian wasn't he?

There are some theories behind the château's unusual name: firstly, that, when Lord Byron visited the estate in 1821, he remarked `Quel remède pour chasser le spleen`. Alternatively, that it is named after Baudelaire’s poem, Spleen (which is of course the most terribly gloomy poem) Did you feel gloomy after drinking it or do you subscribe to the Byron theory?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            You should have tweeted that in to Petroc, he was going on about wine the other day and a really expensive, £8.99, bottle of Algerian wasn't he?

There are some theories behind the château's unusual name: firstly, that, when Lord Byron visited the estate in 1821, he remarked `Quel remède pour chasser le spleen`. Alternatively, that it is named after Baudelaire’s poem, Spleen (which is of course the most terribly gloomy poem) Did you feel gloomy after drinking it or do you subscribe to the Byron theory?

It certainly banished any gloomy 'spleen' Anna.

The 2002 has a quote on the label, from a poem by Jules LAFORGUE (1860-1887) called "Solo de lune" -

"... Nous nous aimions comme deux fous,
            On s'est quitté sans en parler,
            Un spleen me tenait exilé,
            Et ce spleen me venait de tout. Bon."

(That's yer akshul French...)

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

chasse - spleen .... that's yer actual moolies, me darling...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                Indeed it is, and a bit special to imbibe on a school-night ...... but Caliban has neglected the most important part, which dish did it accompany? I think we should be told.

And as he was on the label did you discuss whether Laforgue’s nihilism was just that of a late 19th-century flaneur?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Mon cher vindebordeaux, I knew this would draw you in.

Maybe even yer actual moolies, meduck?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Indeed it is, and a bit special to imbibe on a school-night ...... but Caliban has neglected the most important part, which dish did it accompany? I think we should be told.

And as he was on the label did you discuss whether Laforgue’s nihilism was just that of a late 19th-century flaneur?
                    No, medoc... sorry, me duck - it was consumed outside in the back garden (on a very balmy evening here), without food, accompanied only by conversation and a cigarette or 3...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      No, medoc... sorry, me duck - it was consumed outside in the back garden (on a very balmy evening here), without food, accompanied only by conversation and a cigarette or 3...
                      Sounds very nice Caliban - I'm sure that the convo was very profonde

Years ago I was visiting a friend who was having chemotherapy at St Barts for lung cancer and I discovered that Oddbins had a shedload of Chateau l'Hopital bordeaux, how appropriate, so I'd toddle along with sundry bags of olives, figs, salamis, prosciutto, pates,cheeses, good bread etc from Lina Stores in Brewer St and a bottle of said vino & we'd while away the hours making red rings on the wooden block floors, yarning away, welcoming all-comers. The nurses were delightful and delighted to score an olive or two while he & I popped outside for him to have a fag or two in the garden.

Poor ol' bugga (early 40s) popped his clogs in the end but the memory of that Summer & Ch. l'Hopital still brings a smile

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Years ago I was visiting a friend who was having chemotherapy at St Barts for lung cancer and I discovered that Oddbins had a shedload of Chateau l'Hopital bordeaux, how appropriate, so I'd toddle along with sundry bags of olives, figs, salamis, prosciutto, pates,cheeses, good bread etc from Lina Stores in Brewer St and a bottle of said vino & we'd while away the hours making red rings on the wooden block floors, yarning away, welcoming all-comers. The nurses were delightful and delighted to score an olive or two while he & I popped outside for him to have a fag or two in the garden.

Poor ol' bugga (early 40s) popped his clogs in the end but the memory of that Summer & Ch. l'Hopital still brings a smile
                        Nice one

I wonder if you'd be allowed to sit around in any hospital nowadays quaffing, be the Chateau eponymous or not...

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

am - that is so good. I think I can rely on my friends to be equally civilized if and when I find myself in a terminal hospital condition like that - one has to hope that hospital staff will be equally understanding.

But - good on you

Comment

• amateur51

am - that is so good. I think I can rely on my friends to be equally civilized if and when I find myself in a terminal hospital condition like that - one has to hope that hospital staff will be equally understanding.

But - good on you
                            Well I asked permish from the nurse who appeared to be in charge & he was all for it provided we didn't get too noisy and provided that no-one else objected, which was entirely fine by us. It generated a gentle party atmosphere, some patients & rellos joining in and others just watching. As to the smoking, the nurse said something like 'well I can't see what additional harm can be done at this stage' which gave us both pause for thought, but we decided to press on & have as good a time as poss in the time that we had available together.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

BBC Radio 3
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                                BBC Radio 3
                                Is that a rose of gratitude and tribute, bbm, or a rose upon the coffin???

Comment

Working...
                                X