Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barber olly

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
    My memory tells me that it was Edward Greenfield, but I might be wrong.
    Correct

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Radio 2.5? Might that be a suitable channel on which to broadcast Cage's 3'44"? Or Berlioz's Petite Messe des Morts? Bernstein's On the Village? Elgar's The Apostle? Shostakovich's The Nostril? Rakhmaninov's The Bell? Mendelssohn's Song without Word? Henze's The Bassarid? Alkan's Les Trois Ages? Or maybe it should manifest its economies by amalgamating the composers whose work it broadcasts, such as Lionel Bartók, Judith von Bingen, Ernest Chaupin et al? A reductio waiting for an absurdum to happen, mayhap? Ah, how government cutbacks focus the attention!...

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Email to Breakfast producer, sent today:

Please will you desist from the practice of running as trailers brief snippets of works to be broadcast in the last hour? I have become tolerant of individual movements from multi-movement works being broadcast. But broadcasting these severed fragments of much-loved works is an insult to the composer, to the artists and to the intelligence and taste of the Radio Three audience.

Comment

• tony yyy

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
          Personally, i would advise all disaffected posters to express their displeasure on the Facebook wall.
          Judging from the number of negative comments there were when I looked at it last night, I'd be surprised if they keep it going for long. There were only a very few posts defending the programmes.

Comment

• Anna

I did join FaceBook but can only see my comment when I'm logged in, it doesn't show up otherwise, is it like the old BBC R3 MB and I am therefore in pre-mod?? (I've never joined FaceBook before but don't think I messed up the settings)

Comment

• tony yyy

I don't know, Anna. I only joined to exchange some photos with members of my family and hardly ever use the wretched thing. I think I've only got five friends.

Comment

• burning dog
                • Dec 2010

Dumbing down is a left wing conspiracy. CFM stands for Communist FM.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  It is many years since I have risked my health by listening to R3 in the mornings - and everything I have read here confirms the wisdom of my decision. However, reading about news headlines every 15 minutes reminded me of a previous "dumbing down" of this slot. Wasn't it around the time that Classic FM launched and R3 really got in a panic? (early 90s?) And who was the senior and much-respected music critic who sometimes introduced the music and sounded so out of his comfort zone in reading the latest news? My memory tells me that it was Edward Greenfield, but I might be wrong. It was abandoned after a few months, I remember. I don't suppose any notice will be taken of criticisms this time!!
                  I think news headlines were read every 20 minutes - mercifully, the experiment was short-lived.

Comment

• austin

Is there a more conservative subdivision of Middle England than listeners to BBC Radio 3? They make Archers fans look like dangerous radicals who loot shoe shops.

Some of them have been listening to the station for so long that they fall asleep humming Mozart’s Requiem. They have names like Leonard, Gloria and Cedric, which went out of fashion years ago.

The corporation should maintain its commitment to serious classical music.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I have duly posted my displeasure on R3's wall on facebook!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by austin View Post
                        Is there a more conservative subdivision of Middle England than listeners to BBC Radio 3? They make Archers fans look like dangerous radicals who loot shoe shops.

Some of them have been listening to the station for so long that they fall asleep humming Mozart’s Requiem. They have names like Leonard, Gloria and Cedric, which went out of fashion years ago.

http://tinyurl.com/3eqk3l4
                        You're doing a great job here, austin - thanks
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• austin

Comment

• austin

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            I have duly posted my displeasure on R3's wall on facebook!
                            And I posted (pasted?) a link to the 'The Telegraph" article.
                            Last edited by Guest; 22-09-11, 10:49. Reason: No longer applies

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by austin View Post
                              And I posted (pasted?) a link to the 'Telegraph" article on R3's wall but it was taken off!!

Still there when I just looked!
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                Email to Breakfast producer, sent today:

Please will you desist from the practice of running as trailers brief snippets of works to be broadcast in the last hour? I have become tolerant of individual movements from multi-movement works being broadcast. But broadcasting these severed fragments of much-loved works is an insult to the composer, to the artists and to the intelligence and taste of the Radio Three audience.
                                Bravo, kernelbogey - as soon as I heard this ghastly practice earlier on this week, I flagged it up onThe Eternal Breakfast thread, but you have gone directly to the source. I just hope they take notice.

Comment

Working...
                                X