• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

It's My Story TOM ROBINSON - Getting Bi

8pm on R4 on the 19th [Monday]

Well not name dropping but not my fault that I worked alongside some interesting people.
    I knew Tom as a work colleague when he was about 20, I about 40 and he had just 'come out' and was wearing a 'Glad to be Gay' top that attracted a bit of attention in those far off days.

This is his story in his own words which I won't and can't attempt to summarize. There seem to be quite a lot of men on these MBs who have changed sexual direction one way or another so thought I would give the prog a little heads up, that's all. Live and let live that's my motto.

He's turned into a pretty useful broadcaster on most of the BBC channels though.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by salymap View Post
    He's turned into a pretty useful broadcaster on most of the BBC channels though.
    I wrote a good review of one of his R3 programmes and they pinched it, word for word, for their production website
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I wrote a good review of one of his R3 programmes and they pinched it, word for word, for their production website
      Oh dear, FF, typical.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Thanks saly - I'd never have noticed.

We all admired Tom Robinson in the late 70s. "Glad to ber Gay" became a hit, even being sung by macho football supporters in plubs and on the stands, and was treated as though one of the anthems of the Anti-Nazi League, at that time formed to campaign against the racist and homophobic National Front (NF) then standing in elections, and I see still going. I remember one day someone saying, "If the NF ever came to power, we'd be forced to listen to Elgar all day!" - a sentiment I ferociously agreed with at the time until someone kindly pointed out that Elgar had become rather ambivalent about the use made of P & CM No 1 in later years. Badges sporting "Elgarians against the Nazis" were even seen on later ANL demos - dunno what Tom would have made of that - at that particular time!

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for sharing, Salymap. I will listen to that with interest.

SA, I can remember rushing home from my school to write a furious letter to our headmaster (hotheaded 14 year old me!)
          protesting against the fact that ANL flyers were being passed out in the playground.

I wasn't against the ANL, on the contrary, but I felt furious that politics of that nature were coming into the school playground.

In retrospect, I'd say that I had a point, however my parent's advise that I slept on the impassioned letter I'd written probably saved me a lot of embarassment, as re-reading it the following morning I realised what a sanctimonious and pompous little prick I was.

Nowadays, I'd probably pay to have such flyers made available to school kids. Anything to try and re-engage the proletariat with politics.
          Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 20-09-11, 15:24.

Comment

• Anna

Not about Tom Robinson but on Sunday on R3 7.45pm Richard Coles (ex-Communards now a Vicar) presented the first in a four parter about the global history of gays starting with the Egyptians.

I have a friend who still loves TR's song about a Cortina.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I really hoped at one point that Tom would,at least partly, fill the void left by the death of John Peel. I am not and was never keen on all of John's choices but have cousins who visited him at Peel Acres [??] and he had the sort of broadcasting persona where I could listen to him discussing almost anything. He had a programme on R4 on Saturday mornings that I always listened to. Tom has not been so lucky and, as someone has said, has now been shunted into the middle of the night.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Not about Tom Robinson but - on Sunday on R3 7.45pm Richard Coles (ex-Communards now a Vicar) presented the first in a four parter about the global history of gays starting with the Egyptians.

Yes - part one was certainly interesting: and good on R3 for giving us a serious four-parter documentary on this - and Fr Coles is a good communicator

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  I really hoped at one point that Tom would,at least partly, fill the void left by the death of John Peel. ... the sort of broadcasting persona where I could listen to him discussing almost anything. He had a programme on R4 on Saturday mornings that I always listened to.
                  Ah yes; the much-missed "Home Truths" (which I think Tom Robinson used to present occasionally when JP was on holiday). I totally agree Sals; TR shares that quiet passion for all things human that JP had. TR has also presented some excellent programmes for R3, and I fondly remember his late '80s series on R4, The Men's Room which I always thought suffered by the Network's promotion as "a sort of Woman's Hour for men".

And a damn fine Musician, too: the TRB was the band I wanted to be in as a teenager, and War Baby is a superb song: one of the best singles ever.

The very title of his new series bodes well: I shall hunt it out on the i-Player. Thanks for the pointer.

Best Wishes.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

FHG 'A quiet passion for all things human'. Yes, spot on, agreed. bws sal

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Ah yes; the much-missed "Home Truths"
                      Not by me ! Dreadful programme - what is much missed was Sport on 4 with Cliff Morgan !

Comment

• antongould
                        • Nov 2010

Was there ever a better song for night time motorway driving than 2 4 6 8 Motorway?

Comment

Working...
                        X