X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Oct 2024

God forbid........the radio empires

We frequently consider the direction being taken by the BBC. There has been much discussion too recently of the Murdoch empire. It might then be worth spending a short while looking at the organisation of radio in this country. Frankly, it is just incredible, not only because of the sheer numbers of stations offering aural wallpaper, but in the constant, manic and largely unfathomable business-led changes. In fact, it would be the media equivalent to the Wild West if it were not for the fact that with the Government's full endorsement, the financial backing and the power are in the hands of a very small number of people.

The history - Let's set the scene. In the early 1970s, 19 identifiably local commercial stations were given permission to broadcast alongside BBC national and local radio. This number was added to significantly in the next decade. By the late 1980s, it had been agreed that different services could be broadcast on each station's FM and AM frequencies. Generally, old records were played on the AM frequencies, none of those halves sounded at all local, but at least conceptually it could be understood. In the early 1990s, three national commercial stations were permitted. These included CFM. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_Local_Radio. And from then onwards, local stations were bought by huge companies who frequently also owned further national stations, particularly with the advent of DAB. Finally, it all became completely mad. Split, merge, split, merge, build an empire or two.

The "brands" - Here is the Global Music "brand", including its radio stations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Radio. The scale of it is enough to make the mind boggle. According to media reports it was funded 75% by a consortium including John Magnier, JP McManus, Michael Tabor and Dermot Desmond. Debt from HBoS and Bank of Ireland comprised the remaining 25% of the 375 million pounds used to form the group. Here is the Canadian and North American styled Jack FM which owns 60 stations in Canada, the US, the UK and Russia, including in rural Oxfordshire and on the South Coast. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_FM. So then to the huge Bauer Radio and its list of stations. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauer_Radio. The Bauer Media Group has radio, tv and magazines and offices in 16 countries from Germany to here, the US and Nigeria . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauer_Media_Group.

And here an example - I do urge you to read this part because it is so involved I would be surprised if anyone could follow it in full - of what happened to little Radio Victory in organisational terms after it opened as one of the original 19 local commercial stations in the 1970s, ceased in 1986, and was then in a bewildering number of forms passed from pillar to post in the grip of very big business. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_South_Coast. Pity the auditors. Pity the locals trying to keep sense of locality. In respect of balance, it should perhaps be added that there are some other groups - the Guardian Media Group has a few stations and so of course does the Times - of India - and the Sun. I doubt this reassures much. There are also one or two stations of some size that are truly independent. Oh yes. All hail Isle of Wight Radio. I kid you not and can confirm that it sounds like all the others.

So, Murdoch is significant but what I think this all proves is that he is far from unique in the media world. There are other individuals who have greater media power than any Government. If this is what the BBC is competing with, and it is, it is not just striving, or not, to maintain a standard. It is at the axis of the battle between private enterprise and nations to govern us. Meanwhile those in the upper echelons are keen to give what remains of our national broadcasting and its values away. Scary.
    Last edited by Guest; 20-09-11, 04:42.
  • BetweenTheStaves

An occasional dip into Grant Goddard's blog and website always gives an interesting perspective.

Edit: link removed: See GT's post below

Agree, nothing wrong with the site usually - it must have a temporary problem. ff
    Last edited by french frank; 20-09-11, 10:48. Reason: Malware alert on link

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
      An occasional dip into Grant Goddard's blog and website always gives an interesting perspective.

url removed/
      I got a browser alert as follows by clicking through on this link

Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
      url posted in previous post contains content from [another site - url removed], a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
      Google has found that malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed. Why not try again tomorrow or go somewhere else?
      We have already notified [url removed] that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on [url removed], visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.
      Last edited by Globaltruth; 20-09-11, 09:26.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
        • Nov 2010

And let's hear it for the utterly useless Radio Authority which presided over much of this profiteering which was allowed to destroy what was a rich, radio culture.

Remember, for example, the days when LBC would occasionally come ahead of Radio 4 in the London area and the likes of Capitol FM would actually produce radio documentaries.

Of course, the listening public would have to share some of the blame, as they'd almost completely desert radio stations in the evening hours.

I sometimes think we are extremely lucky, given those circumstances, to have Radios 4 & 3 in their current form.

PS: Just heard from a friend that the World Service is about to finally quit Bush House after eight years there. I was fortunate enough to work there between 1990-93 in studios still equipped with ribbon mikes and large dial faders. Marvellous it was.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Re #3 and #4, yes, I got that message too.

There is a follow-up point to my earlier piece. A few weeks ago, one Canadian contributor to Platform 3 said that he sympathised with many of the views expressed here because radio in Canada had become dire. That comment takes on a new meaning for me now.

There was slightly old-fashioned me, still thinking of the world in terms of countries. Canada though is already here. It is Jack FM in Middle England - a station that doesn't even make the effort to sound anything other than North American in its name. Or more precisely perhaps, it is a North American business view of what an English station might be called.

You can see it now. In five years time, Gove is demoted to DCMS. Radio 3 is suddenly rebranded by Thompson into something like "Eugenie" while R1 becomes "Wayne".

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post

PS: Just heard from a friend that the World Service is about to finally quit Bush House after eight years there. I was fortunate enough to work there between 1990-93 in studios still equipped with ribbon mikes and large dial faders. Marvellous it was.
            My daughter worked for the World Service in Bush House for a while - and yes, an excellent place, a real sense of radio history.
            And extremely valuable work - she was specifically working on a series of broadcasts to India on the topic of Aids, information disseminated by way of a detective story (if I remember correctly).

But, of course, most of the real work was done in the nearby Indian and Thai restaurants...

[apologies Lat for diverting the thread, that's my daily nostalgia allowance used up]

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves
              Apologies for that. Safari was quite happy with the link. Looks like it is not Grant's website per se but a link on his page to a Canadian site. So provided you don't click on the link to the Canadian site then you'll be OK. Of course, you could always buy a Mac and click away to your hearts content....sorry, could not resist.
              Grant has removed the link to the dodgy website and so it's safe to check out his website.

Comment

Working...
              X