X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

Free unabridged John le Carre audiobooks

There'll be one a day offered until the end of the week. You need to register on the seller's website, but don't need to enter credit card of bank details...

Seven free John le Carre audiobook downloads including Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Constant Gardener, The Spy who Came in from the Cold and Smiley's People

UK and ROI only
    Steve
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
    There'll be one a day offered until the end of the week. You need to register on the seller's website, but don't need to enter credit card of bank details...

Seven free John le Carre audiobook downloads including Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Constant Gardener, The Spy who Came in from the Cold and Smiley's People

UK and ROI only
    Great spot Mr Stunsworth!

I shall indulge...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

OH RATZ!!! I don't have a Pod ......... <sad faced smiley>

Comment

• Stunsworth
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        OH RATZ!!! I don't have a Pod ......... <sad faced smiley>
        You don't need an iPod, the files are MP3s, so you can play them on anything that has an MP3 player - such as a desktop or laptop computer.
        Steve

Comment

• Anna

Oh thanks Stunsworth, I didn't realise that <banned emoticon> I'll get the download!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Tried to log on and download - I'm just getting this message:

Over Quota

This Google App Engine application is temporarily over its serving quota. Please try again later.

Maybe oversubscribed at the moment... Anyone had the same thing? Anyone downloaded a book successfully using this offer?

Comment

• Anna

I downloaded just after I got Stunsworth's advice (which was 4 hours ago and I guess demand not high) I unzipped it but I've only just tried to open it now and was told I did not have permission to access!! Looking again when I went back to re-unzip it you have to enter the password you gave when you registered and requested download.

I did that and it's now happily playing

Comment

• Stunsworth
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Maybe oversubscribed at the moment... Anyone had the same thing? Anyone downloaded a book successfully using this offer?
                I suspect you may be correct. For what it's worth I downloaded all three books earlier today.

Someone on the Guardian website has reported getting the same message . I tried re-downloading one of the books and received the error you're getting. I suspect the offer was more popular than the seller was expecting.
                Steve

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

Philip French of The Observer (doyen critic of our times) gives a rave notice for TTSP:

Gary Oldman gives us a Smiley to equal Alec Guinness's in this triumphant adaptation of John le Carré's masterpiece, writes Philip French

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I downloaded just after I got Stunsworth's advice (which was 4 hours ago and I guess demand not high) I unzipped it but I've only just tried to open it now and was told I did not have permission to access!! Looking again when I went back to re-unzip it you have to enter the password you gave when you registered and requested download.

Lucky you! I've just tried, and things don't seem to have worked. Not sure how to get back to this and to get it operational. I've sent an email to the audio people asking for help.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Lucky you!

I forgot to look / ask - who's reading it?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        I forgot to look / ask - who's reading it?
                        Sorry, didn't see your query. It's read by Michael Jayston, I think he was in original TTSS, haven't checked.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                          • Nov 2010

I think he was in original TTSS, haven't checked.
                          He was, he played Peter Guillam.
                          Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Managed to get one just now, by re-registering and using a fast download link.

How do I get more? Do I have to go through the Guardian pallaver again, or is there a way I can get the extra files without having to resubmit and duplicate the data each day?

PS: Is there a catch that you can only download one per day, thus it'd only work for people who started on day 1 - without of course resorting to other techniques? I just tried another, and put the code in, but it still wanted me to pay.

Comment

• Anna

I find I have the following email from AudioGo

The extraordinary response to the promotion, and the consequent demand for these downloads has placed immense pressure on our servers and many people have been unable to complete their download first time. Please be assured that if you have successfully completed the checkout process and the download is showing in your download library on audiogo.co.uk then your downloads will be fulfilled. We will ensure that everyone who has completed the promotion sign-up and redeemed their chosen title will receive their audiobooks. Although the unique codes for these titles are only valid for a week, once added to your download library there is no time limit for accessing your downloads.

Dave, I assume go through the steps again as you need a different password for each book to claim

Comment

Working...
                              X