X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    Anna - I am faffing about - unsuccessfully - to find a quote from Jonathan Swift: finding that his boots had not been cleaned, he remonstrated with his servant - who replied, "Ah, sir, but they'll only need cleaning again tomorrow." The next day, said servant found that there was no food on the table for him, Dean Swift pointing out, "Well, you'll only need feeding again tomorrow... "

But, curses, I can't find the original so as to quote it more exactly...
    Try Voltaire?

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

As I get older I am expert at pottering into another room for something, then forgetting the original purpose of the potter. I pick up a book or tidy a shelf and return to point A to find that what I wanted to fetch is still in point B. Then I return to this keyboard for a bit and start again. I need more exercise so am not too hard on myself. Nothing much gets done on some days. Other days are more organised but so what.........I'm retired.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        It's not that I'm lazy when it comes to housework but I am of the opinion that it is taken to the extreme these days and over indulgence in it results in lack of resistance to germs. My theory and I'm sticking to it!
        My mother approved of Quentin Crisp's dictum that you should leave the dust undisturbed. "I have a message of hope for the housewives of England," he had said. "After four years it doesn't get any worse."

And I was delighted to learn recently that the National Trust has finally decided that the recommended policy for books is not to dust them - more damage is caused by the dusting than by leaving them undisturbed.

Hallelujah!

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Try Voltaire?
          Dave2002 - are you sure? I was convinced it was Swift. If you know that it's Voltaire - could you throw out a hint??

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
            I'm certainly of the opinion that a great deal of the housework that people find to do is unnecessary. It makes them feel they aren't wasting time, I suppose, but I think they are. I'm very critical of the cult of constant definable activity that prevails at present - as if it is in some way a virtue to be busy. It may be unavoidable - in much of my life that's been the case - but I don't see it as a virtue.

And this is in a nutshell what Kierkegaard was getting at - 'people believe that by steady work and by keeping busy they can alleviate boredom; however, through too much zeal and enthusiasm these people overlook the main motivation for their diligence, namely, their own fear of boredom.' And that is what has to be grappled with if one is to lead a Full Life...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              And this is in a nutshell what Kierkegaard was getting at - 'people believe that by steady work and by keeping busy they can alleviate boredom; however, through too much zeal and enthusiasm these people overlook the main motivation for their diligence, namely, their own fear of boredom.' And that is what has to be grappled with if one is to lead a Full Life...
              Yes, very true. Also, fits in with my theory about iPods. Why are people constantly plugged into them, because not only do they have a fear of boredom they have a fear of silence because in silence they can hear their own thoughts.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Hopefully when I retire or win the lottery I will have time to potter.

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                  I was always a past master at pottering, but the arrival of the internet and sites like this one has elevated my talents to even further heights.
                  Yes, yes, how very true, Micky.

A quick check of e mails or indeed Forum messages seems the perfect excuse not to do something
                  more active.

Well I did manage a visit to the local garage to pick up diesel, paper and a basket of groceries.

Unfortunately the day of pottering now makes turning out for a barn dance a singularly daunting
                  prospect. Lots of time to think how much I don't really like dancing.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Yes, very true. Also, fits in with my theory about iPods. Why are people constantly plugged into them, because not only do they have a fear of boredom they have a fear of silence because in silence they can hear their own thoughts.
                    I would tend to look at this another way. i suspect that the powers that be love lots of people being plugged in for the reason you suggest.
                    They really don't want people with time on their hands to think about the insanity going on around us, (endless pointless wars, people being forced to work to age 70 when 25% od under 25's are unemployed, kids leaving uni with 50 k of debt etc.)
                    musical soma.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

I remember my son Louis pottering about as a child....a big bucket of 'sticky-gooey' [mud, water and anthing else handy], and couple of sticks and a trowel....he would spend hours 'doobing about' as we called it, often with all the other kids in the street leaning over the wall watching in awe [they were not allowed to get dirty]....mud everwhere all over him, egged on by the wall hangers....Louis has always [except for deafness] been incredibly healthy never gets ill, or collywobbles....

....NOT a trace of Detol in our house....most of my furniture and carpets are second-hand....I'm living with 50 years of someone elses dust [and mites know doubt]....and I never get ill....(that is one the joys of being anti-social....no germs....)
                      bong ching

Comment

• Segilla
                        • Nov 2010

I like to mentally potter at times - about harmless and inconsequential things.

Having just been to the Lake District for a few days I wondered if Beatrix Potter had sold more books than Harry Potter.

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I do think a lot of the "guilt" felt comes from your upbringing - my parents were more than over-zealous in making sure the house was clean and unfortunately that mania rubbed off on me and stayed for years. At 52, I am glad to say that I am now steadily shaking off those feelings and housework finally takes second place to pottering. Yet a little twinge of guilt can still rear its head whenever I over-potter!

Comment

• greenilex
                            • Nov 2010

I don't think "over-pottering" is possible....

but maybe I'm a bit potty.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                              • Nov 2010

Comment

• Anna

That is very good ShB, you should market it as a fridge magnet! I'd buy one.

It's serious pottering for me today, I completely overdosed on rugby this morning, lunch is in the oven and smelling good, it's still raining steadily and I don't think I can be asked to do a single constructive thing this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X