Nuisance, scam phone calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Underdown

You don't even need to record silence. Just set the ringtone to silent for that profile, and make sure vibrate is off too

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
      You don't even need to record silence. Just set the ringtone to silent for that profile, and make sure vibrate is off too
      If by profile you mean the profile that you set the phone to such as general, meeting etc then that certainly is not what I was explaining and won't work...because a profile setting is global and applies to all calls. If by profile you mean a specific contact address then unfortunately not all phones let you assign Silence. Mine is one and so was why I had to resort to recording silence.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        Alsi had an increasing number of these calls. One ploy of mine is to put the phone down very quietly bit the other day I came up with a better one: I kept the caller talking while silently turning on R3. I then held the phone to one of my speakers and quickly turned the volume up to maximum.

Better still, for those who possess that CD of 1812 Overture with the cannon demonstation just give the caller an earful of that!

And if you don't own it - it happens to be 'Sarah's Essential Choice' sometime after 11.00 a.m.
        I used to get calls advising me that I'd won a holiday in Florida. When invited to 'press 9' for more details, I would press, say 5; if they repeated the invitation, I then pressed another number, say 6. They haven't called for a while.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
          I am similarly plagued by these calls on my mobile but have at least come up with one elegant solution that works, at least, for the calls that have a number.
          BTS, thank you. I shall attend to that this evening.

Comment

• David Underdown

SHB, on Nokia's (or at least the models I had) you could associate a specific profile with any number of contacts

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Another one a few minutes ago.

Where can I get a cheap sports/school whistle. I want to say "times up!" ... Whistle.

Amazon?
              Whistle now arrived, and tested - pretty good and deafening.

Not used for real yet, though!

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Re ringtones, one technique which can be used is to set ringtones for different people. It just could be that I used the submarine alert tone on one set of phones for some numbers I particularly didn't want to pick up. Other numbers, such as friends and family have fairly easily recognisable tunes. Obviously a call from someone you don't know will fall into the "Other category", which you may decide not to rush to pick up. It's not a perfect method, but might help. You could programme the "Other category" with something just slightly different, to remind you to be cautions when answering.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I have had a number of INTERNATIONAL calls recently - which I never answer. They were always the automated messages about Timeshare or similar.

I did get caught yesterday by 01252 670000 which launched into an automated message about loft insulation http://phonenotes.org/01252670000
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

I've actually refined my "silence' response. The original silence I recorded was on the mobile and so had assorted clicks, whispers and noise as the auto-gain control amplified my own 'silence' as I hit the control to stop recording. Result? WEll, if I was in a relatively quiet environment then I was aware of the 'noise' when the silent ring was playing. Not good enough! So I downloaded a small program intended to record this and that....so I set it to record the built-in mic but made sure that the gain was turned to minimum. Result? Nothing. Nary a whisper or a dedicated Prommer's cough. Looked at my phone this evening to see I'd had five calls ...all junk..and me none the wiser. Bliss.

Comment

Working...
                    X