Nuisance, scam phone calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka

I get a lot of automated calls these days. Very annoying, as I now have to 'screen' all my calls.

How does one go about getting 'number display', or whatever it is?

Comment

• Andrew Slater
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
      I have been told that so long as they are connected to me, they cannot then connect to anyone else. ....... Does anyone know if this is correct and such an action does in fact jam up the caller at the other end?
      I think it's actually the other way round: the calling party controls the line, so that the called party cannot clear the line.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
        How does one go about getting 'number display', or whatever it is?
        It's Caller Display with BT. If you're with BT you ring their customer services to arrange for the service to be supplied (it's quite cheap). You then have to buy a handset with the appropriate display to show the information.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
          I am signed up to the Telephone Protection Service (details on Page 6 in the front of my phone book) and that seems to filter out most of the rubbish.
          TPS only filters calls emanating from UK. I have had a number of calls recently from an outfit calling themselves "British Consumers". You can google them. On tghe last occasion the male caller, an Indian sounding individual, asked for me by name. I did not say who I was, but asked who he was and what he wanted. He again asked for me by name. When I did not confirm who I was, he called me a "f...... c..." and quickly disconnected. The number, of course, was withheld.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
            TPS only filters calls emanating from UK. I have had a number of calls recently from an outfit calling themselves "British Consumers". You can google them. On tghe last occasion the male caller, an Indian sounding individual, asked for me by name. I did not say who I was, but asked who he was and what he wanted. He again asked for me by name. When I did not confirm who I was, he called me a "f...... c..." and quickly disconnected. The number, of course, was withheld.
            I had them , when I asked where they were calling from they said Eastbourne so I asked what the code was from there so could check. The number they gave was a discontinued one for the island of Eigg !!! Very lovely place
            I usually try to engage them with an increasingly surreal conversation and also then ask why they think that it ok to try and scam me , which sometimes does make them more than a little agitated but I also have played the opening of Black Angels at phone scammers

Comment

• Segilla
              • Nov 2010

Telephone Protection Service seems not to bar calls from abroad. Occasionally when engaging in conversation with people who do not have a foreign accent I mention TPS and the call is usually rapidly terminated at their end.

Of late I've been bothered by more calls than ever, by people who make a brave but hopeless attempt to pronounce my real name.
              If in a good mood or my music is not interrupted, I ask them to hang on ..... or politely decline their invitation.

if in a bad one I can resort to crude language and jokes which they probably don't understand. It's demeaning - but it does make me feel better.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

I clicked on "Nuisance, scam phone calls" because I thought this was going to be another thread about the breakfast show silly me

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  It's Caller Display with BT. If you're with BT you ring their customer services to arrange for the service to be supplied (it's quite cheap). You then have to buy a handset with the appropriate display to show the information.
                  And than simply don't pick up calls starting with the numbers 0843.. or 0844... (these ring normally 5 or 6 times), or pick up and disconnect immediately.
                  Unfortunately "Withheld" numbers can be "real" calls very well.
                  As it is a legal requirement in Wales for firms to provide Welsh spoken information, I do ask (in Welsh) for it: disconnection follows suit....

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Another one a few minutes ago.

Where can I get a cheap sports/school whistle. I want to say "times up!" ... Whistle.

Amazon?

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

PS: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_5syt0ud4vp_b

The first on this list - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...l_5syt0ud4vp_b - though marked as a toy, seems to get high approval ratings!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

You beat me to it. I came up with this one:

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          You beat me to it. I came up with this one:
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acme-Thunder...6251071&sr=8-1
                          Acme? As used by Wile E Coyote, presumably.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Alsi had an increasing number of these calls. One ploy of mine is to put the phone down very quietly bit the other day I came up with a better one: I kept the caller talking while silently turning on R3. I then held the phone to one of my speakers and quickly turned the volume up to maximum.

Better still, for those who possess that CD of 1812 Overture with the cannon demonstation just give the caller an earful of that!
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Yes but they will start complaining about the compression

Comment

• BetweenTheStaves

Caller display isn't always that useful particularly as many incoming calls are flagged Unknown. Which is fine except that many legitimate organisations and individuals in the UK also withhold their numbers and so you have no way of knowing. The trouble is that the phone has already rung and interrupted whatever you were doing. So I am afraid that if I get a cold caller then they are not-so-politely told to **** ***.

I am similarly plagued by these calls on my mobile but have at least come up with one elegant solution that works, at least, for the calls that have a number. You set up a contact - Junk - in your phone address book and save all these numbers as they come in. My phone has about 10 slots for numbers per contact. It doesn't matter which slot you use (work, home, mobile, mobile-work, fax etc) for each incoming number. Just allocate a slot and then when that contact is full, create a new one - Junk2 and so on. Now here is the clever bit. Record 30 seconds of silence on your phone. Then assign this 'silence' to be the ring tone associated with Junk, Junk2 etc. That way whenever any of these vermin call you, you are simply unaware and can carry on with your daily business.

Comment

Working...
                                X