X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born
    • Jun 2024

Mahler's Final Adagio

Musicians of the National Youth Orchestra describe the challenges of performing the piece and Edward Seckerson discusses how a personal crisis in Mahler's life is etched into the score
    Radio 4, 1.30-2.00 p.m. 20th September.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Thanks for drawing this to our attention, Ofchap. That huge atonal chord in the first movement of Mahler 10 - repeated in the finale - doesn't exactly reach forward - Schoenberg (whom I am listening to at the moment on 3) - had got there first; but it's always fascinated me.

S-A

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Thanks for drawing this to our attention, Ofchap. That huge atonal chord in the first movement of Mahler 10 - repeated in the finale - doesn't exactly reach forward - Schoenberg (whom I am listening to at the moment on 3) - had got there first; but it's always fascinated me.
      S-A
      AND that chord in the first movement is an afterthought.
      The four stave continuity draft of the Adagio doesn't contain these bars: they were inserted after Mahler received the letter (addressed to him, consciously or otherwise) confirming Alma's infidelity.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        AND that chord in the first movement is an afterthought.
        The four stave continuity draft of the Adagio doesn't contain these bars: they were inserted after Mahler received the letter (addressed to him, consciously or otherwise) confirming Alma's infidelity.
        Never knew that...

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Didnt she have an affair with the artist Kandinsky?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Didnt she have an affair with the artist Kandinsky?
            During her marriage with Mahler she had an affair with Walter Gropius, whom she married in 1915.
            But in the mean time she started to see Oskar Kokoschka, who expressed his love for Alma in his painting Die Windsbraut (1914 !). Alma left Kokoschka as well, and though still married with Gropius, she started an affair with Franz Werfel, whom she eventually married in 1929.

Tumultuous lady, she was

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

"the most beautiful girl in Vienna" according to Bruno Walter. Music and lyrics by professor Tom Lehrer via linkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH4J8CIBc7Q&...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Perhaps she'd heard of Alma Mater, and decided she had to go one better!

Comment

• Roehre

Her husbands are shown at 1'14 and 2'05

Comment

• scottycelt

Gropius ... ... the poor chap might have found himself rather more at home in Up Pompeii than Down Vienna?

Comment

Working...
                    X