X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

this is a thread on paranoia matey .... they have it in for you too Simon .... you can not trust ideas or reputations ... they are there to ensnare you with diversions while the sleight of hand continues ...

the very idea of 'policy' is opium .... smoke .... sentence structure is tyranny .... paragraphs are a tool of repression ... get with it Simon it is not Monday .... Monday is an idea ..... there is even a club eh ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      this is a thread on paranoia matey .... they have it in for you too Simon .... you can not trust ideas or reputations ... they are there to ensnare you with diversions while the sleight of hand continues ...

the very idea of 'policy' is opium .... smoke .... sentence structure is tyranny .... paragraphs are a tool of repression ... get with it Simon it is not Monday .... Monday is an idea ..... there is even a club eh ...
      That's better!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

In any so-called system, a percentage will smoke. It is that which calms their fire.

The flames of the riots were a response from those who in another era would have just bought 20 B & H.

One more turn of the wheel on the international nicotine clampdown.

Neo-liberalism will be burning.

It is no coincidence that Clegg the pivot has arguably a history of pyromania.

As the major card holder, the one who enabled the reversal, the symbol of what holds it all together, he is the glass man in a greenhouse throwing stones.

The prize cacti around him think that they at least are tended. But matches will be lit in drunken hazes.

And shoulders will shrug the entire length and breadth of whatever might remain of the garden.
        Last edited by Guest; 13-09-11, 15:34.

Comment

• Rowan Tree

Once, long ago in the dear old 60s, Henry Fairlie wrote that were a fascist state one day to establish itself in Britain its seed-bed would be the Liberal Party. I thought he was mad. Well, you have to admit it's been along wait Henry but....

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Rowan Tree View Post
            Once, long ago in the dear old 60s, Henry Fairlie wrote that were a fascist state one day to establish itself in Britain its seed-bed would be the Liberal Party. I thought he was mad...
            Well, you had a point...

Originally posted by Rowan Tree View Post
            Well, you have to admit it's been along wait Henry but....
            ...but then you go and spoil it. Do you really believe that the UK is a fascist state? Do you understand what a fascist state means?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

The current didn't take one side of the coin or the other but abandoned the old coin completely. How even thirty and forty years ago those on opposite sides of the first coin knew the alienating composition of the second currency.

That, the new capitalism, might have already been "where it is at" but it was not where it should have been. In fact, it was the point on the map where traditional conservatism met with the revolutionary movements and each found to some astonishment that they shared an antipathy that for once was not toward each other.

Fairlie - "the King and the People against the barons and the capitalists"

"The nation cannot be brought to you as if it were Masterpiece Theatre by a grant from Mobil Oil"

Scott-Heron - "only promise me a battle for your soul and mine".

"The revolution will not be brought to you by Xerox in four parts without commercial interruptions"

Both were right. The family home and its members are not mainly brought to you by the makers of the corn flakes on your breakfast table. If the heads of a household promoted the idea that they were, any teenagers in the house would not be in adolescent rebellion against their parents. Rather, they would be chucking the box of cereal through the nearest window to restore a sense of order while conversely also grabbing a McDonalds on the basis of the strange values that had informed them.
              Last edited by Guest; 13-09-11, 21:29.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

thoughtful piece on blue labour ... Glasman's new book revied by david Runciman ....
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• handsomefortune

i am sorry calum da jazbo, but i can't read your interesting looking link on centre-ist current politics, since i
                  'can not trust ideas or reputations ... they are there to ensnare me with diversions while the sleight of hand continues ...'

yesterday, i broke my paranoia (v briefly) in order to absorb a criticism of 'think tanks', and recognition of the ideological desert we find ourselves in politically (linked below).

'radio caroline' at sea footage is quite something imo; as is the last still illustration in the link, of 'real' pirates, (but with rupes hovering above the bucaneers)!?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

absolutely ... i was being diverted, normal paranoia has resumed ... weird the Tudors surface in both links ....

i wonder if Reg knew Eddie

Comment

• handsomefortune

> weird the Tudors surface in both links ....< i didn't know they did, it's sheer coincidence as i haven't read your #37 (as yet) calum da jazbo. but since bucaneers sum up entrepreneurial theft, i mean 'spirit' - as a metaphore 'the tudors' will possibly crop up occasionally. as will pirates, (as long as they're not somalian).

as per your #39 - too paranoid to watch just now, even though it's old footage, it may contain traces of new ideas.

i'm really scared that ideas might i find the adage about 'little acorns' more and more horrifying!

Comment

• handsomefortune

'topshop' apparently commodify domestic violence and sexism ..... because we all know the kids love both, deep down.

what to commodify next eh! (perhaps requires dada-esq illustrations) it's 'nice' that the old ideas get commodified, as then we don't have to have any frightening new ones.

Comment

• handsomefortune

"Surely, no government can be expected to foster its own subversion, but in a democracy such a right is vested in the people (i.e. in the majority of the people). This means that the ways should not be blocked on which a subversive majority could develop, and if they are blocked by organized repression and indoctrination, their reopening may require apparently undemocratic means. They would include the withdrawal of toleration of speech and assembly from groups and movements which promote aggressive policies, armament, chauvinism, discrimination on the grounds of race and religion, or which oppose the extension of public services, social security, medical care, etc"[3] <

"promote aggressive policies" ............for cash - sounds like 'topshop'.

"Marcuse’s analysis of capitalism derives partially from one of Karl Marx’s main concepts: Objectification.,[4] which under capitalism becomes Alienation. Marx believed that capitalism was exploiting humans; that the objects produced by laborers became alienated and thus ultimately dehumanized them to functional objects. Marcuse took this belief and expanded it. He argued that capitalism and industrialization pushed laborers so hard that they began to see themselves as extensions of the objects they were producing. At the beginning of One-Dimensional Man Marcuse writes, “The people recognize themselves in their commodities; they find their soul in their automobile, hi-fi set, split-level home, kitchen equipment,”[5] meaning that under capitalism (in consumer society) humans become extensions of the commodities that they create, thus making commodities extensions of people's minds and bodies and calling into question the notion of alienation."

"they find their soul in their automobile, hi-fi set, split-level home, kitchen equipment,' ....or stupid t shirt, whch costs £16.oo, one pretending it's handwritten by the wearer. (at least the other t shirt about 'breeding' - is obviously mass produced).

so, all of marcuse's predictions spot on imv.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

nah not exactly an accurate portrait ... very One Dimensional if yer get it .... and demeaning of the ordinary joe and joanna ...

marcuse was however a commodity himself ... tenure to get books to sell big man status ......................... the left, predicated on failure as it is, is as hooked on success as liberal neocon merchant bankers only more ruthless when in power ... if however we were to understand finally their, Marcuse's, dream of an unaliented classless subject we find the individual as hero just as with the liberal dream ..... a free person ... a free society ....all their arguments mask other purposes ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                              nah not exactly an accurate portrait ... very One Dimensional if yer get it .... and demeaning of the ordinary joe and joanna ...

marcuse was however a commodity himself ... tenure to get books to sell big man status ......................... the left, predicated on failure as it is, is as hooked on success as liberal neocon merchant bankers only more ruthless when in power ... if however we were to understand finally their, Marcuse's, dream of an unaliented classless subject we find the individual as hero just as with the liberal dream ..... a free person ... a free society ....all their arguments mask other purposes ...
                              Whereas I go peddling my book, gig to gig. Still a commodity, albeit a downscale example; it's written into the system, innit; we're ineluctably complicit little "men"...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

like my favourite zen master said when asked why he was digging the garden ..."no work no food"

in our case it's no work = no£ = no food ...and that little bit in the middle is just full of opportunity innit

Comment

Working...
                                X