• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Is all Art erotic?

Germaine Greer, whose views are for the most part admirable, has just now on the tele-vision claimed that "All Art is Erotic." But we wonder whether she is right. Would not the first step in an investigation of the question be to pin down the nature of what is not erotic, so that we could decide whether something of that kind could ever possibly be Art?
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

I see what she means

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

I recall Germaine Greer claming that all British men are gay, so she's obviously fond of broad-sweeping statements

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
      Is all Art erotic?
      No. I have a great interest in art . Much is exceedingly cerebral.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Did she explain what she meant by erotic....??

http://dwkuan.blogspot.com/2010/04/r...whiteread.html....this might be a bit bi-erotic

....ignore prose....
        bong ching

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
          Germaine Greer, whose views are for the most part admirable, has just now on the tele-vision claimed that "All Art is Erotic."
          ... well, of course, she is a notorious paedophile...

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
            • Nov 2010

That second one is like a riff on a theme of a Pears soap bar.

Comment

• Simon

I'm finnding it hard to believe that anyone would take any of the nauseating self-promoter Greer's ideas seriously.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                I'm finnding it hard to believe that anyone would take any of the nauseating self-promoter Greer's ideas seriously.
                Do you know, Simon? - I have more respect for Germaine Greer, her insight and her scholarship, than I have yet had reason to accord to any of your views...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

No but eroticism is generally artful in its narrowing of the scope for artistic interpretation.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    Germaine Greer, her insight and her scholarship
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      Do you know, Simon? - I have more respect for Germaine Greer, her insight and her scholarship, than I have yet had reason to accord to any of your views...
                      Now, why doesn't that surprise me?

I have to say that, with the exception of your occasional briefings about wine, Vinteuil, it's rare that any of your comments give me any reason to accord them much validity.

But I do tend to read them: at least you can put a paragraph together logically, even if the rationale underpinning it may leave a fair bit to be desired. I suppose that's only to be expected after a career in FCOAdmin. Or was it Exec?

Comment

• handsomefortune

as there's no accompanying source material regarding greer's idea, sydney grew, i mean in support of her alleged statement ..it's difficult to judge.

maybe she'd have been referring to the act of creativity? rather than a specific end result.

however, surely the comment wouldn't necessarily be restricted to the visual arts .... ?

i guess there is definitely something erotic, or sensual, about the act of creativity. once analysis starts following along this line of thought, perhaps it brings into question the perrenial fave 'what is 'art', and who decides this'?

even if the end result relates more to eg symmetry, and looks suspiciously like maths (as in the dotted image, posted upthread). arguably, maths, itself, might be termed an 'art', and the act of working out mathematical answers, might be described as 'erotic', bringing pleasure to the senses. creating a new sense of order, in using symbols, and codes are peculiar to both disciplines - and there is something exciting about this imo....(possibly verging on the erotic) since both suggest alternative, albeit encoded languages with which we might communicate.

i think too, if you look at people who definitely are not in a position to 'be creative', due to circumstances (eg physical, or mental confinement) we may well be able to understand more fully, that all creativity might fittingly be described as 'erotic'.

however, without much more to go on, other than the brief statement greer made ....it's difficult to imagine what she might mean.

(there's also the possibility, that the polar opposite of creativity, that of destruction ...is also 'erotic' - evidently, ask any arsonist) but that's for a different thread perhaps!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          I see what she means

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

I recall Germaine Greer claming that all British men are gay, so she's obviously fond of broad-sweeping statements
                          Well wide of the mark in my experience.

You're lucky to get half a smile like a pre-winded babe

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                            Now, why doesn't that surprise me?

I have to say that, with the exception of your occasional briefings about wine, Vinteuil, it's rare that any of your comments give me any reason to accord them much validity.

But I do tend to read them: at least you can put a paragraph together logically, even if the rationale underpinning it may leave a fair bit to be desired. I suppose that's only to be expected after a career in FCOAdmin. Or was it Exec?
                            Why is very personal attack on an esteemed member allowed? Seems to me that Simon is cocking a snook at the very rule that he was promoting a wee while back, thus making mock of Akela

Comment

• handsomefortune

> like a pre-winded babe <

and how welcome is that funny idea, amongst the personal jibes .... !

have some still not realised that unless you're on a utube thread, or twitting, on twitter - that genuine 'conversation' relies on responding to 'the post - not the poster'?

> No but eroticism is generally artful in its narrowing of the scope for artistic interpretation. <

lateral - do you mean 'those who employ 'eroticism' ....(as eroticism can't do anything at all autonomously, other than exist as a word in a dictionary, all by itself).

if i've understood your point correctly - that is?

Comment

Working...
                              X