X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    I don't think I'd ever really discovered chamber music at all until I started listening to R3. Now I much prefer it to orchestral/symphonic works.
    My very own experience too, FF: although it was mainly my father who introduced me to classical music, his view was always that chamber music was written for self-indulgent people who preferred playing for their own pleasure than for an audience!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Al R Gando View Post
      Do you really call Sibelius 2 "trivial"? In a rare recording which is inaccessible to many? Methinks thou dost protest too much!
      These straw-man arguments seem strangely familiar.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        These straw-man arguments seem strangely familiar.
        They do indeed Panjandrum!

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          written for self-indulgent people who preferred playing for their own pleasure than for an audience!
          And, after all, is that such a very bad reason for composing music?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            And, after all, is that such a very bad reason for composing music?
            If you heard the manner in which my dad put that view accross, you wouldn't ask!!!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Now we're getting somewhere - what an interesting thread...

... I may have to turn off my "background wallpaper" so I can concentrate on the words.

I was going to put the argument that full length works (and in depth analysis) will still be available on R3 - there are also, as has been elequently pointed out in post #35, numerous other sources of such material. FF's concern about not being able to sit comfortably downstairs and listen to them would be easily solved by wireless broadband and a good internet radio.

Edit: and at least the music/chat doesn't have to vie with the cricket for airtime any more!

OG
              Last edited by Old Grumpy; 10-09-11, 15:48. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                FFs concern about not being able to sit comfortably downstairs and listen to them would be easily solved by wireless broadband and a good internet radio.
                But - I hope my logic is not at fault (I have been reading the Fauré thread) - isn't that just a polite way of saying, 'Shove off. Why should the BBC/Radio 3 provide anything for you?".

By 'you', I mean anyone who shares the same feelings as me, not just me as an individual, since to that question there might be a customised answer.

I was going to put the argument that full length works (and in depth analysis) will still be available on R3
                There are 168 hours in the week. Where and what is this in-depth analysis?

And what about all this chatter about holidays, what music you like to relax to, what music makes you feel good to be alive &c &c?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  PS: For those interested (Anton ...), on this occasion I am "listening" to CD Review on my iPad in a hotel room as I type this. Normally I don't think I multi-task this way, and often type without any background noise/music. The choral piece now - around 10.10 am is striking. - I might try to listen to it again - Florent Schmitt - serendipitous find.
                  Dave
                  A superb CD - If you are unfamiliar with Tragedie de Salome you have a treat in store!

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Al R Gando View Post
                    You're wasting your time, Barber-Olly. It's already been decided that this is dumbing-down, ahead of the actual broadcasts.
                    Yes I know, but RC's choices are not random ones and there will be much to enjoy in the dd process! As for breakfast - I'll starve!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                      If you are unfamiliar with Tragedie de Salome you have a treat in store!
                      Debussy & Ravel on steroids would be my description of T de S

Comment

• Roehre

Debussy & Ravel on steroids would be my description of T de S

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

[QUOTE=french frank;82590]But - I hope my logic is not at fault (I have been reading the Fauré thread) - isn't that just a polite way of saying, 'Shove off. Why should the BBC/Radio 3 provide anything for you?".

1) Not at all - just to point out that there are other sources as well as Radio 3

2) No more than (it might be interpreted as) you (plural) saying "shove off - I want Radio 3 all for myself (plural)"!

OG

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            1) Not at all - just to point out that there are other sources as well as Radio 3
                            But no classical music on the BBC, hence my comment.
                            2) No more than (it might be interpreted as) you (plural) saying "shove off - I want Radio 3 all for myself (plural)"!
                            But the objection is that I, and others like me, haven't got anything, any morning except a Saturday, with CD Review.

It isn't a question of 'me' excluding 'you'. Did you not like, say, Morning on 3 (no, contrary to earlier claims, it had no long symphonies at all: it was a breakfast drivetime programme)? Did you not enjoy Morning Performance as the mid morning programme? How did they exclude you? How was that saying 'I want Radio 3 all for myself'?

Even the people (at least, many people) who actually like Breakfast share a dislike of the same features. The CB for Essential Classics suggests it may be having the audience joining in (phone-lines still open?) there too.

Comment

• johnb
                              • Mar 2007

My very own experience too, FF: although it was mainly my father who introduced me to classical music, his view was always that chamber music was written for self-indulgent people who preferred playing for their own pleasure than for an audience!
                              Well, your father does have a point - much C19 chamber music was written for such people, whether or not they were self indulgent.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

The Essential Classics Questionnaire

1 - What was the first piece of classical music you can remember hearing?
                                Enter Sandman by Metallica

2 - What piece first stimulated your interest in classical music

Zappas G spot tornado

3 - What was the first classical record/CD you bought yourself?

Portsmouth Sinfonia Live at the Albert Hall

4 - Do you have a favourite performer, and what piece would you choose to hear him/her/them play?

Son of Dave : the Lark Ascending

5 - If you could choose to be a virtuoso on any instrument, what would it be, and what piece would you like to play?

Ondes Martenot: Panic (Either The Smiths of Harrys Version !)

6 - Is there a piece you can play, or would like to play yourself?

Music for Bondage Performance by Merzbow

7 - Do you have a favourite composer – and a favourite piece by him/her?

La Monte Young : Conposition 1960 #7

8 - What piece of music do you use to relax to?

George Crumb : Black Angels

9 - What piece of music makes you glad to be alive?

Gloomy Sunday (Diamanda Galas version)

10 - What piece of music would you listen to on a journey (car/train/plane)?

Alvin Lucier : Music on a long thin wire

11 - Is there a piece that you find particularly moving?

Music for the Clangers Series 1: Vernon Elliot

12 - Is there a piece that reminds you of a particular place?

Christopher DeLaurenti : Favourite Intermissions

13 - Is there a piece that makes you laugh?

The Dream of Gerontius (so preposterous)

14 - Can you work while listening to music, and what piece would you choose, and why?

NO : So it has to be 4:33"

15 - If you are entertaining friends, is there a particular piece you would put on?

Sunn O))) : Monoliths and Dimensions

16 - Is there a piece that you think should be more widely known – a hidden gem?

George Crumb : Black angels

17 - Is there a piece of film or TV music that has particularly affected you?
                                NO TV is Evil

18 - If you could step back in time to hear a great performer who’s no longer with us, who would it be, and what piece would you choose to hear?
                                Luigi Russolo : Awakening of Capital.

19 - If we gave you an orchestra/choir/soloists, what piece would you choose to conduct?

The Great Learning

20 - What piece of music do you want played at your funeral/to be remembered by?

Tamuke (a piece of Shakuhachi music)

Trivial ??? Moi

Comment

Working...
                                X