X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Education, Education, Education

Some food for thought here I'm sure.... from the horses as...ars...arz....mouth

The Department for Education is responsible for children’s services and education, including early years, schools, higher and further education policy, apprenticeships and wider skills in England. DfE is a ministerial department, supported by 18 agencies and public bodies .
    bong ching
  • Simon

I've often wondered why the left and right extremes in general are opposed to the concept of free schools.

Is it because they gravitate instinctively towards "state control" and centralisation, and feel that anything less than this is a threat to their social engineering or to their attempts to create uniformity and "equality"?

Is it because they are frightened of allowing differences and individuality to flourish? - a history of all the more extreme left and right wing regimes in the 20thC would certainly appear to bear this out.

Are there other philoosophical reasons for the opposition?

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Simon View Post
      I've often wondered why the left and right extremes in general are opposed to the concept of free schools.

Is it because they gravitate instinctively towards "state control" and centralisation, and feel that anything less than this is a threat to their social engineering or to their attempts to create uniformity and "equality"?

Is it because they are frightened of allowing differences and individuality to flourish? - a history of all the more extreme left and right wing regimes in the 20thC would certainly appear to bear this out.

Yes.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I'm absolutely gobsmacked by the Tories talking about giving schools more freedom. They were the ones who created the straightjacket called the National Curriculum, with all its we-know-better-than-you rules and demands that "all children shall learn...(whatever)". Yet here they are proclaiming the opposite. Are they so utterly and completely stupid, that they really think we've all forgotten all that?

Comment

• amateur51

Have you not been keeping up with all the criticisms of this cunning removal of chunks of funding from state schools in order to pay extra to the free schools, Simon?

It's not philosophical - as our American friends would say: 'do the math!'

Off-topic, may I say how much I'm enjoying your neologisms, Simon. First you gave us the verb 'to afll' and today it's 'philoosophical! How blessed we are to have such a fertile and creative imagination in our midst

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I'm absolutely gobsmacked by the Tories talking about giving schools more freedom. They were the ones who created the straightjacket called the National Curriculum, with all its we-know-better-than-you rules and demands that "all children shall learn...(whatever)". Yet here they are proclaiming the opposite. Are they so utterly and completely stupid, that they really think we've all forgotten all that?
            But in line with the new Tory doctrine of us all being individuals, and there being no such overarching objective of loyalty as society, EA!

I see nothing other than the de-professionalisation of education being used as an erodent of social solidity/solidarity. If a sector of society is endowed with the readies to promote educating its young to its implicit values, it gets the go-ahead ahead of others, it seems.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Have you not been keeping up with all the criticisms of this cunning removal of chunks of funding from state schools in order to pay extra to the free schools, Simon?

It's not philosophical - as our American friends would say: 'do the math!'

Off-topic, may I say how much I'm enjoying your neologisms, Simon. First you gave us the verb 'to afll' and today it's 'philoosophical! How blessed we are to have such a fertile and creative imagination in our midst
              Philoosophical - the philosophy of the cistern?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Well it's well known the Baccalaureate will save us all....Latin will add starch to our va va voom....

Well Mr Gove, obscurum per obscurius, lucus a non lucendo....you are giving tax back handers [I believe it is £220 million] to the Free Schools via Charity status....

....Whereas, the very well run Primary school near me, cannot afford supply teachers if another teacher or teachers is ill....
                bong ching

Comment

• Al R Gando

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post

....Whereas, the very well run Primary school near me, cannot afford supply teachers if another teacher or teachers is ill....
                  And yet we can afford to invade Libya. With tax-payer's money. Funny old world, innit?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

Well, perhaps we are studying the Libyan Education System....very many of them seem to be very articulate in several languages, and have high aspirations....
                    bong ching

Comment

• Chris Newman
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I think the idea of opening schools where green philosophy and the arts are put in the vanguard of the curriculum should be encouraged. I have nothing against the principle of free schools but after 30 years of teaching I shall fight against them if they are paid for by stealing money from cash-strapped state schools.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

I want Sustainability in the curriculum Chris....it must be the new economy and will teach children in a practical hands on way....

....put some of this hand-eye coordination to creative use....
                        bong ching

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Well it's well known the Baccalaureate will save us all....Latin will add starch to our va va voom....

though it might spell the end for music in many schools
                          some interesting comments by music teachers here

Comment

• Chris Newman
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

I want Sustainability in the curriculum Chris....it must be the new economy and will teach children in a practical hands on way....

....put some of this hand-eye coordination to creative use....
                            You are a man after my own heart. This is the CORE of a real curriculum.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              though it might spell the end for music in many schools
                              some interesting comments by music teachers here

http://jsavage.org.uk/
                              Yes, that looks intersting GG, I read it properly tomorrow....

....It's a real shame pilamenon does not post much these days....
                              bong ching

Comment

Working...
                              X