X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Thais - Meditation

I heard a bit of Massenet's Thais on TTN this morning. (It went across the usual 0300 break - that's new).

Does anyone know when the Meditation began to be performed as a stand-alone piece in concerts?

It was shown as such in the 2004 film Ladies in Lavender set in 1930s Cornwall. I was struck when seeing the film that this was an anachronism, as I'm aware of it as a concert item appearing in only the last 20-30 years.
  • Ariosto

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    I heard a bit of Massenet's Thais on TTN this morning. (It went across the usual 0300 break - that's new).

Does anyone know when the Meditation began to be performed as a stand-alone piece in concerts?

It was shown as such in the 2004 film Ladies in Lavender set in 1930s Cornwall. I was struck when seeing the film that this was an anachronism, as I'm aware of it as a concert item appearing in only the last 20-30 years.
    As far as I remember its been in the repertoir for at least 50+ years as a violin piece as I remember palying through it in the late 1950's.

Comment

• tony yyy

The usual piano arrangement is by M P Marsick who, I assume, is the same as this one (1847-1924), giving a terminus ante quem well before 1930.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

A bit of a worry if Meditation is appearing on TTN. I'd expect to hear that on Radio3 when it's in Classic FM mode- i.e. any weekday morning and all day on Sunday.........
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by tony yyy View Post
          The usual piano arrangement is by M P Marsick who, I assume, is the same as this one (1847-1924), giving a terminus ante quem well before 1930.
          I'm quite sure you are right, tony, as I also seem to remember that there were old 78's of people like Kreisler, Heifetz, Menuhin et al, who must have recorded it in the 1930's/40's.

Just a bit more edited info, of course the Marsick Stradavarius is now played on by James Ehenes (who can't afford to buy it, it's on loan). I wonder if James has recorded the Thais Meditation on it? Would be fitting as Mr Marsick must have done so (played it on that fiddle) when he wrote it. IF I meet JE next year at his Wigmore recital I might ask him, although he will probably think me a dickhead for asking!! I don't think I'll dare ask him for a go on his Marsick Strad either!!
          Last edited by Guest; 08-09-11, 09:17.

Comment

• barber olly

I think i first heard it on NSOL Agoult album of shorter softer pieces (Clair de Lune), RCA then later on Decca World of. The recording I think is Late 50s but I guess it would been picked off the opera at a fairly early date. CFM and Breakfast do not have a monopoly on playing a good tune to death they just have more exposure potential.

Comment

• Ariosto

There is nothing wrong with this piece of course (Thais meditation) and I'm thinking of doing it myself for a laugh or two. "We" have just started a little arrangement of the "Jeeves and Wooster" credits music which on TV features a fiddle and clarinet etc in a little jazzy band. I'm going to affront my quartet tonight by playing a few bars of it and see what reaction I get ... (Probably "don't ring us, we'll ring you ...")

Some of this 1920's/30's music is good fun and I love the style.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by tony yyy View Post
                Thanks Tony and others. The piece hadn't crossed my radar until the last 20-30 years. The use of it in the film (Director, Charles Dance) has niggled at me every time I've heard it recently (which is quite often).

Mr Pee - TTN broadcast the whole opera last night.

Comment

Working...
                X