X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

...it was a gripping final and the ref was biased i thought, McCaw was late with his knee into Parra's head and should have seen a card red or yellow ......

NZ won every game they played in the tournament so a just result in that sense but not based on the final game alone ...

missed kicks were a significant feature of this tournament .... they cost Wales dearly
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Anna

It wasn't the prettiest of matches and I honestly think that, given another five minutes, France could have taken it, they really did play with passion and NZ looked vulnerable. The reffing throughout the tournament has been inconsistent and as to the balls, have there ever been so many missed kicks (or does it just seem like that?)

Lewis Moody has retired as England Captain, now that poses a problem I imagine, Tindall is rather too tarnished to take over, Wilkinson's probably not the man for the job, also Shaun Edwards is leaving as coach for Wasps and has no contract (now the WC is over) with Wales. Hmm ...... will England beckon? Six Nations starts in February...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        It wasn't the prettiest of matches and I honestly think that, given another five minutes, France could have taken it, they really did play with passion and NZ looked vulnerable. The reffing throughout the tournament has been inconsistent and as to the balls, have there ever been so many missed kicks (or does it just seem like that?)

Lewis Moody has retired as England Captain, now that poses a problem I imagine, Tindall is rather too tarnished to take over, Wilkinson's probably not the man for the job, also Shaun Edwards is leaving as coach for Wasps and has no contract (now the WC is over) with Wales. Hmm ...... will England beckon? Six Nations starts in February...
        An exciting game certainly in the second half but as you say, Anna, some 'inconsistent' referee-ing. looking back, the whole competition went on far too long but there again you do have to allow a decent amount of time off for teams to recover from injury (as the Samoan captain kept saying in aggrieved fashion). I don't know what the answer is but thanks goodness there's another four years before we have to go through that again.

Was the % of handling errors/game slightly down on previous years? Certainly the kicking was decidedly dodgy. Is Shaun definitely going then, Anna?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          Is Shaun definitely going then, Anna?
          Hang on Ams, I'll just text him .......... His contract with Wales is finished, but he's being rather coy, he is reported as having said "My future is up in the air, there is no doubt about it. I like coaching rugby, and I will have an open mind to anything, really." There are strong rumours that England approached him, informally, immediately after the team's poor performance.

Edit: And I think Robin McBryde's contract is also finishing!

Comment

• amateur51

Hang on Ams, I'll just text him .......... His contract with Wales is finished, but he's being rather coy, he is reported as having said "My future is up in the air, there is no doubt about it. I like coaching rugby, and I will have an open mind to anything, really." There are strong rumours that England approached him, informally, immediately after the team's poor performance.
            But being part of the England set up is a bit like trying to turn a Rover P4 into a performance car by fiddling with the ashtrays, surely? He'd be a prince in Wales and surely he knows that by now

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

I hope that if nothing else comes out of this world cup, a rigorous course of instruction for elite referees on what constitutes illegal play takes place with numerous clips from the excellent TV coverage.

In the final alone, we had illegal high tackles not even penalised let alone carded, and we had serial and evidently carefully organised impeding of the ball at the break down particularly by NZ, a number of players were tackled in the air catching the high ball, and on three separate occasions lineout jumpers taken out in the air and no whistle. The TV editor even kindly focused on one such for us by re-running the incidents to show the infringement - which went unpunished as well.

Frankly, Joubert's refereeing was deeply untrustworthy verging on the partial.

Comment

• Anna

But being part of the England set up is a bit like trying to turn a Rover P4 into a performance car by fiddling with the ashtrays
                I don't know, it's not just the England team/coaches is it? The whole of the England RFU seems to have pushed the self-destruct button and now, there are calls for Clive Woodwood to come back and get a more hands-on mentality and kick the Twickers men in suits out of touch. I feel really sorry for England (and no sarky comments please!)

Edit: Agree with Draco. Let it be decided what is, and what isn't, illegal, and inform the players/coaches so we don't have spectators cursing one ref's partiality.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Pretty dégoûté here chez Caliban, I can tell you.

The ref:

Anyone know of a good tumbril hire firm??
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Caliban, it's only a game ............ Calm Down Dear

You been overdosing on the animated again? Just listen to the Liszt and be soothed ......

Comment

• LHC
                      • Jan 2011

But being part of the England set up is a bit like trying to turn a Rover P4 into a performance car
                      Since 2003, the England coaching set up seems to have been mainly focused on turning performance cars into Rover P4s.
                      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Just listen to the Liszt and be soothed ......
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

i see that Tindall has been fined £25k, half his fee, and dropped from the elite squad for his conduct unbecoming in New Zealand
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Edit: And I think Robin McBryde's contract is also finishing!
                            Good news that Shaun Edwards has re-signed for Wales, Anna. Any news of Robin McBryde doing similarly?

Comment

• Anna

Good news that Shaun Edwards has re-signed for Wales, Anna. Any news of Robin McBryde doing similarly?
                              No news about McBryde at all Ams, not even a rumour, but what now for England as Martin Johnson has resigned? The only name I've heard mentioned is Nick Mallet and with Six Nations around the corner the RFU had better get their act together.

Edit: It seems England assistant coach Graham Rowntree has been approached by Wales, perhaps that explains the silence re McBryde?
                              Last edited by Guest; 16-11-11, 15:14.

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Fallout continues with Johnson's resignation. 'Fraid I will not be mourning. It's been an unlovely and barren period of dour charmlessness on and off the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X