Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Serves England right. Lazily arrogant, old-fashioned, ill-equipped for the modern game, playing 1990's rugby, and utterly without ideas or athleticisim. How Tuilagi did not get sent off remains a mystery to me.
    I must have missed that as well re Tuilagi, I thought he was one of the few England players who had some flashes of brilliance? There weren't any disputes I thought.

Reading the post-match reports I came across this opinion:- "The All Blacks, France, Wales and Ireland play an evolved form of rugby: all players can run, all players can pass, and all players can think, England's style of play is stuck in the past", a bit harsh maybe. However, just come back from town and the verdict seemed to be that England were more than a bit of an embarrassment, to Johnson and of course the fans.

Edit: Oops! cross posted with Draco

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

First head high tackle midfield - penalty.
      Second near decapitation of DuSautoir [ I think] at the start of the second half, obviously not seen by the ref but seen on camera.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Thought I'd chanced on news coverage from Sirte and then realised that there was a ball in the middle of it all - not that anyone seemed too interested in the ball - totally brutal - I found myself wincing at every marginal high tackle, at every removal of any offending body, and ball possession seemed secondary to the goings-on. Loved the Aussie forward at the end who said to the ITV guys pitchside that he was just happy to have got out of it alive. Anywhere else that would not have been allowed on before the kids were in bed - 18 certificate. The other remaining teams in the tournament must be glad they weren't in there. I feel slightly ashamed to say that it was the first time I've been gripped by a game in this Rugby World Cup.
        Last edited by johncorrigan; 09-10-11, 11:25. Reason: it was a war out there!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

it was highly competitive johncorrigan ... gripping and amazed that the Aussies won ... not amazed that NZ beat Argentina, but that was also a highly competitive game with the Pumas giving a great account of themselves [not reflected in the final score] ... the Puma's gave England a lesson in how to lose a quarter final ... we [England did not just lose the match, we lost the game in practically every match if you follow my drift ... a very poor showing]
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Anywhere else that would not have been allowed on before the kids were in bed - 18 certificate.
            If any sport deserves an 18 certificate - surely Rooney's viciously petulant kick should be included?
            I'm afraid 5.30am start yesterday + late night = missing SA v Oz match, only seen highlights. Before the Cup started I had money on SA being in semi finals, twas not to be. Watched the NZ v Argentina match and NZ, certainly in first half and beginning of second certainly didn't look invincible, certainly looked beatable, if it were not for Piri Weepu ......... so could Australia be in the Final? Nothing seems certain anymore, and which French team will turn up to play against The Choirboys ...
            Edit: Crossed with Calum, yes, Argentina were great. Good that they are now to be in the expanded Tri-Nations

Comment

• aeolium
              • Nov 2010

The Wallabies just burgled that game - how could they have done it with just 20% of possession and territory? Astonishing powers of defence especially at the ruck and some unimaginative running by the Springboks.

Wales very impressive yesterday - hard to single out anyone as it was such a fine team performance. Bonnaire was phenomenal for France, but England were desperate and shambolic (why did they start with Wilkinson at fly-half and not Flood?)

Here's hoping for a Wales v Oz final...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Reading the online sports headlines this morning you'd think England were the only team playing tomorrow, what with 'Jonny and me are the dream team' and Jonny this and Jonny that

One of several reasons that sadly it's generally a relief when England leave an international tournament. Talk about counter-productive on the part of the hacks - the desperate saturation coverage not only puts anyone sensible right off, but contributes to the pressure on the players and is partly responsible I'm sure for the toxic mixture of inflated ego plus on-pitch psychological fragility. Same goes for football, tennis...

Anyway I am delighted the French got it together: now, Anna and Ams - bring it on Saturday morning
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  [COLOR="#0000FF"]
                  One of several reasons that sadly it's generally a relief when England leave an international tournament.
                  Given the tub thumping that goes on when England do go further, I feel exactly the same way. To hear the ridiculous outpourings of the English media about who's to blame when in fact the English Team were never good enough in the first place and no amount of dwarf toss banning would have made a hoot of a difference. For example, if Scotland had only to beat England rather than beat them by at least 8 points I think they would have.

I believe that England Footie team have qualified for Euro 2012 though you would never know as all people can talk about is Rooney and how he won't be able to play in the opening game or two of the tournament and how it's disgraceful that he behaves etc etc ad infinitum.

England are at a stage that Scotland reached about 20 years ago when we realised qualifying and getting to later stages of tournaments should be measured as success. Anything else is a bonus - indeed for us to get a chance at a play-off would be a great bonus. Be thankful...enjoy the moment....the tournament goes on and is as you say Caliban usually better for it.

Comment

• Anna

England getting knocked out, particularly by the French was the best thing that could happen to them, time to take stock of how they played and prepare for the Six Nations (which begins in February and England v Wales is on 25th February at Twickers!) As to the press coverage, here in Wales we were getting a little bit fed up with the constant headlines and the very late awakening that Wales in fact were playing some of the best rugby around and, of course, now are the only remaining home team representing the UK. Unfortunately England went into the WC assuming they had a guaranteed place in the final. I was sorry, the way the Pools were, that Ireland had to go out, after a shaky start they really played well.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Anna - Wales were triffic: England were rubbesh (as we say in these parts...)

howsomdiver - altho' in principle I ought to like France, they were so wretched against Tonga that I scarcely thought they ought to go further...

My wish wd be a Wales - NZ finale - and then I can summon up my Gruffydd ancestry and get enthusiastic all over again...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                        Here's hoping for a Wales v Oz final...
                        Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        My wish wd be a Wales - NZ finale
                        Oh, we really don't care who it is!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Naughty image of (I assume) a children's book cover on the Facebook page of one of the French squad

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Naughty image of (I assume) a children's book cover on the Facebook page of one of the French squad

Wonderful - who says the French don't have a sense of humour?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
                              who says the French don't have a sense of humour?
                              The Germans?

... I'll get my tin hat.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

hear hear

it is wide open still [i can not get over my adolescent years watching Wales win everything again and again but two cheers for Wales any way ... oh that was hard] but the All Blacks have two advantages: 1 they are really good; 2 they are playing at home ....
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X