Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Reading the online sports headlines this morning you'd think England were the only team playing tomorrow, what with 'Jonny and me are the dream team' and Jonny this and Jonny that and speculation about the fragile psyche of Les Bleus and the warning that it'll be brutal. Surely the only important match, the one to watch, (everyone knows boring England will get through) is Ireland v Wales? I want to read about these teams, not England. I did however like this about the Welsh squad "The new breed are modest but conduct themselves like Olympic athletes and when you combine that with native Welsh genius ....
    I had a sign yesterday Anna, a portent - Cliff Morgan's autobiography in the local charity shop

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      Lievremont claims [according to the Rothermere Rag] that the whole world wants France to beat England .... it sure feels that way ...
      ... in le Monde they give a list of what the French rugbymen are looking to seek revenge for this weekend - "Crécy, Poitiers, Azincourt, Waterloo, Fachoda, le quart de 91, la demie de 2003, celle de 2007, les "Good Game" de Will Carling… "

Comment

• Anna

Calum, I don't think it's a case of everyone wanting England to lose more a case of wanting them to get out and play some decent rugby from the start of the first half. Their matches against Georgia and Romania were just training exercises, they had a pretty underwhelming match against Argentina and were sorely stretched by the Scots. If you're going to go on to the Final then at least prove you're worthy - I think that's the reason for the disillusionment with the England squad at the moment. I'll have fingers crossed for the French that they put up a decent show to make up for Tonga and go down fighting.

Ams, did you buy the Cliff Morgan, would be interesting to see what he says about Carwyn. As for Ireland v Wales. Although the Welsh have youth and fitness on their side (8 are 23 or younger), Ireland have the experience, it could go either way but it'll make the next stage even more interesting.

Comment

• amateur51

Ams, did you buy the Cliff Morgan, would be interesting to see what he says about Carwyn. As for Ireland v Wales. Although the Welsh have youth and fitness on their side (8 are 23 or younger), Ireland have the experience, it could go either way but it'll make the next stage even more interesting.
          I didn't buy it, Anna but might do if it's still there tomorrow. I checked out Carwyn in the index - just 3-4 refs to him as a player plus a mention of the '71 Lions. Nothing remarkable, hence my leaving it, but ...

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            I didn't buy it, Anna but might do if it's still there tomorrow. I checked out Carwyn in the index - just 3-4 refs to him as a player plus a mention of the '71 Lions. Nothing remarkable, hence my leaving it, but ...
            I'll tell you what Ams, if I'd been a gay man in the 60s I think I'd have had a serious crush on Carwyn, cheekbones to die for and such a beautiful speaking voice, and so educated. Sorry for being off-topic!!

Comment

• amateur51

I'll tell you what Ams, if I'd been a gay man in the 60s I think I'd have had a serious crush on Carwyn, cheekbones to die for and such a beautiful speaking voice, and so educated. Sorry for being off-topic!!
              And those wiggling hips, Anna, and that wonderful dummy

And all that pent-up emotion .... mind you, the fag smoke
              Last edited by Guest; 07-10-11, 11:11. Reason: trypo

Comment

• Anna

Phew!! <checks to see if any fingernails are left> A game you daren't take your eyes off to go and put the kettle on. First semi for Wales since 1987 !! Still could have gone either way I think until that last try but Welsh defence too good. Now let's see what England v France will be like

Comment

• amateur51

Phew!! <checks to see if any fingernails are left> A game you daren't take your eyes off to go and put the kettle on. First semi for Wales since 1987 !! Still could have gone either way I think until that last try but Welsh defence too good. Now let's see what England v France will be like
                  Thrilling game, I agree Anna - to see a Welsh line-out that actually worked was a joy! And good to see the old head of Mike Phillips bringing some experience to the young 'uns was good too.

Allez les Bleus! Come on England! - we don't care who we get
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-10-11, 09:16. Reason: trypos

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Allez les Bleus! Come on England! - we don't care who we get
                    Well, Les Bleus certainly seem to be Allezing vite at the mo!!

Comment

• amateur51

Well, Les Bleus certainly seem to be Allezing vite at the mo!!
                      Too true, Anna - they've certainly turned up for this one - haven't seen much, still recovering from my early start

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

< My guess is that France might do more than give them a fright >

Ahem.

Comment

• Anna

Well, France came out fighting but what happened to England in the first half? That was a disaster, did they think they could just turn up and it'd be all over? It seemed they didn't really wake up until around 60 mins. So, Wales v France next, what will happen there?

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Serves England right. Lazily arrogant, old-fashioned, ill-equipped for the modern game, playing 1990's rugby, and utterly without ideas or athleticisim. How Tuilagi did not get sent off remains a mystery to me.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              How Tuilagi did not get sent off remains a mystery to me.
                              I missed that, what happened? He seemed to be one of the few England players playing with any passion.
                              Steve

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

well played Wales an excellent and thrilling game

and Les Bleus pulled the cat out of the bag ....England are not unskilled, nor lacking in athleticism rather they lack maturity and leadership ... they went to pitiful pieces in the first half and barely managed a decent reply in the second, too little and too late if Wales and France maintain this standard of play when they meet in the Semi it should be a wonderful game ...

my impression is that Johnson has been badly let down by his players ... any sign of real opposition in the first half and they crumpled .. scaredy cats more like
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X