Aimez-vous Housman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born

Having owned up to mis-spelling Housman, I hope you won't mind my pointing out that you've deprived Mr Bennett of his second 't''

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Ofcachap
      Sorry about that, but I can claim to have given him a T ( the liquid variety ! )

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        Ofcachap
        Sorry about that, but I can claim to have given him a T ( the liquid variety ! )
        Was Dame Thora there - and were you offered a Gypsy Cream?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
          Was Dame Thora there - and were you offered a Gypsy Cream?
          Not quite, Ofcachap, the Beeb didn't run to those, and there wasn't a soggy sugar cube in the saucer either!

Comment

• Mary Chambers
            • Nov 2010

I found these fascinating examples of both the Butterworth and RVW versions of 'Is my team ploughing?' on Youtube, the RVW sung by Gervaise Elwes in 1917, the Butterworth sung by Peter Pears in 1955. I haven't heard either of these recordings before. In fact I don't think I've ever heard Gervaise Elwes's voice at all before, though I know the name. They both sound dated to our ears, but they are of their time. I still prefer the Vaughan Williams setting, but I find I like the Butterworth more than I thought I did. I still think Schubert would have done a better job than either!

'Is My Team Ploughing?' from 'A Shropshire Lad' (1896) by A.E. Housman, in two musical settings-- the first, by Rafe [Ralph] Vaughan Williams (1872-1958; fir...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Thanks for those clips, Mary. Old-fashioned the VW recording may sound, but it is terribly poignant, isn't it! The words are more audible on many a modern CD. Have to say I can't agree that Schubert would have done a better setting: the combination of lyrics and folk-influenced idiom fit in the landscape of our imagination (and VW's, since he'd never been to Wenlock Edge) better than even the greatest from other lands could ever have achieved, imv.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Thanks for those clips, Mary. Old-fashioned the VW recording may sound, but it is terribly poignant, isn't it! The words are more audible on many a modern CD. Have to say I can't agree that Schubert would have done a better setting: the combination of lyrics and folk-influenced idiom fit in the landscape of our imagination (and VW's, since he'd never been to Wenlock Edge) better than even the greatest from other lands could ever have achieved, imv.
                Yes, I suppose one does have to take nationality into account, but I think Schubert would have reached to the heart of the bitter-sweetness, combining beauty and sadness as Housman does.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I recently bought the Roderick Williams/Iain Burnside CD of Butterworth's settings of Housman and Sussex folk songs, on Naxos. I think they compare very favourably with other recordings. I've just listened to the Pears and found it a bit 'mannered'.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

On top of editions of Juvenal and Lucan, Housman produced a five-volume edition of the Astronomicon of Manilius , a writer so obscure that he "is neither quoted nor mentioned by any ancient writer" and whose very name is uncertain. Housman's edition is a work of impeccable scholarship. Details courtesy of Wikipedia, but I remember my English teacher talking about this curious misdirection of effort at school some 45 years ago.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I love Butterworth's settings of Housman and am much moved by Ireland. I wish Somervell had written more. Personally I find RVW tries too hard and occasionally misses subtleties of the poetry that Butterworth makes sound natural.

I remember getting a very chilly reply from my old English Teacher when I suggested that I thought Housman was homosexual. It was the only time he appeared angry with me which was strange because he was gay himself. I sensed Housman's nature quickly with all the talk of muscular lads "in their hundreds" and the plea for Terence "to look your last at me". Maybe it was unease with this that made RVW alter and edit lines.

I imagine Schubert would have done remarkable things with Housman's verse though I can imagine greater things if he had got his hands on RLStevenson's "Songs of Travel". Just imagine those walking piano accompaniments.

Comment

Working...
                      X