• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Jun 2024

N.F. Simpson: Dead

The long-lived English avant-gardeist has finally made his exit:

Playwright who mixed a comic brew of weird suburban characters and absurd situations
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for the obituary link, Mandryka.

I seem to recall a feature on N F Simpson on R3 (or R4?) some years back. I wish R3 would mount one of his radio plays on Do3 - his work has been unjustly neglected, imo (in fact the whole genre of absurdist drama has been sadly neglected over the last decade or so).

RIP.

Comment

• Chris Newman
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

N. F. Simpson's brand of humour is much in need of revival as aeolium rightly says.
      The links with the Cambridge Footlights is proof enough of his worthiness.

RIP

Comment

• Al R Gando

"5,000 red indians – optional"

One-Way Pendulum is one of the strangest plays I've ever read. A unique voice in British theatre.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Another link with my past. I was once involved in a production of a Simpson play, the one with the Hallelujah chorus, and the speak your weight machines. Can't for the life of me remember what it was all about. I assisted with some of the sound effects. I think we had a cuckoo clock amongst other things. Seemed fun at the time.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

We greatly enjoyed the Donmar revival of NF Simpson's one acters a few years ago with Peter Capaldi (Malcolm - Thick of It - Tucker). I also went to Emanuel School - before it went fee-paying in the 70s (btw, in Wandsworth, not in Battersea, as stated in the Grauniad obit). We had the legendary Jack Cuddon for English O level and to great hilarity he got us to act out some of Simpson's stuff during lessons.

Comment

Working...
            X