'Dick Barton' parodied by 'Take It From Here'...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Norfolk Born
    • Sep 2024

'Dick Barton' parodied by 'Take It From Here'...

Repeated last night on Radio 4, and now on the iPlayer: 'Dick Barton: A Very Special Agent' - a fascinating account of contemporary reactions to the BBC Light Programme serial that regularly attracted 15 million listeners. It includes a parody by the cast of TIFH, in the manner of a public information broadcast, and also a priceless clip of 'Dan Archer:Special Farmer' (no, I didn't make that up). It's narrated by the peerless Alexander Armstrong.
    Last edited by Guest; 30-08-11, 09:56. Reason: Corrected spelling mistake
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Wasn't it the case that it was axed to make way for The Archers.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Indeed. Apparently the farming community just didn't listen to the programmes which the BBC were providing for them in the late 1940s/early 1950s. 'What we want', somebody is alleged to have said, 'is a Dick Barton for farmers'...and that's what they got.
      Two little titbits from yesterday's repeat: (1) The hero was originally going to be called Bill Barton; (2) Thora Hird (who contributed a reminiscence) was in at least one of the earlier episodes.
      A propos of radio programmes from that era...I recently listened to the first-ever 'Hancock', courtesy of Radio 4 Extra. It wasn't that funny, truth to tell, but it was interesting to hear Moira Lister as the 'female lead'.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
        Indeed. Apparently the farming community just didn't listen to the programmes which the BBC were providing for them in the late 1940s/early 1950s. 'What we want', somebody is alleged to have said, 'is a Dick Barton for farmers'...and that's what they got.
        Two little titbits from yesterday's repeat: (1) The hero was originally going to be called Bill Barton; (2) Thora Hird (who contributed a reminiscence) was in at least one of the earlier episodes.
        A propos of radio programmes from that era...I recently listened to the first-ever 'Hancock', courtesy of Radio 4 Extra. It wasn't that funny, truth to tell, but it was interesting to hear Moira Lister as the 'female lead'.
        Alzheimer's Alert!! I saw Moira Lister in Move Over Mrs Markham at the Vaudeville Theatre with two maiden aunts in the early '70s.

What did I have for breakfast yesterday?

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
          Wasn't it the case that it was axed to make way for The Archers.
          And how long did that last? I suppose longer than a Norman Painting.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
            And how long did that last? I suppose longer than a Norman Painting.

Comment

• tsuji-giri

As an enthusiast for nostrums for the current state of the country from yesteryear, I rather liked the idea that the crime wave of the time was due to Dick Barton. Apparently this was seriously thought to be the case in some quarters.

Comment

• Segilla
                • Nov 2010

In a way, Dick Barton was also parodied in a TV film of more than 30 years ago about a couple of youngsters who accidentally discovered some of the D-Day code words - Mulberry etc.

Eventually they were arraigned before a magistrate who castigated them for being influenced by the Dick Barton model.

Noel Johnson played the part of the the magistrate and he was the original Dick Barton.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Segilla View Post
                  [....] Noel Johnson played the part of the the magistrate and he was the original Dick Barton.
                  There was another radio series in which Noel Johnson played a private detective. I think his wife was played by Mary Wimbush. The theme tune was (I think) called Royal Scot.

(Or is this all of the above incipient dementia?)

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    There was another radio series in which Noel Johnson played a private detective. I think his wife was played by Mary Wimbush. The theme tune was (I think) called Royal Scot.

(Or is this all of the above incipient dementia?)
                    The theme tune was Coronation Scot (Vivian Ellis) and the detective was, I think, Paul Temple.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                      The theme tune was Coronation Scot (Vivian Ellis) and the detective was, I think, Paul Temple.
                      Coronation Scot was certainly the theme music for Paul Temple, but he was never played by Noel Johnson. I remember the Paul Temple radio series from the time that Peter Coke played the part (with Marjorie Westbury as 'Steve').
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Coronation Scot was certainly the theme music for Paul Temple, but he was never played by Noel Johnson. I remember the Paul Temple radio series from the time that Peter Coke played the part (with Marjorie Westbury as 'Steve').
                        Thank you both.

Nurse, could my visitors have a cup of tea too please?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

It was Paul Temple, and the Beeb revived one of the old series on R4 a few years ago. we all loved them, but they sound terribly creaky today. The music was Coronation Scot, but the first series used the opening of the second movement of Scheherezade. Marjorie Westbury played Paul Temple's wife Steve, and a certain Sir Graham Forbes was Commissioner at Scotland Yard, I can't remember the actor's name.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

enjoy ....[the screens nurse, the screens!]
                            According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• mercia
                              • Nov 2010

currently on Radio 4, Wednesdays 11.30am "A case for Paul Temple" with Crawford Logan as Temple and using Scheherezade rather than Coronation Scot.

Comment

Working...
                              X