• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Diane Abbot's seemingly mathematical incompetence
    Her spelling and grammar are usually spot on.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
      Her spelling and grammar are usually spot on.
      No they aren't, she's worse than me! And I've always been bad at mathematics.

Anyway, wait and see how the hosts swoop on this joke about an Amish woman and delete it, they are very consistent on these matters.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

I find that I'm quite upset by the way James Watson is being treated. Complicated matters. No joke.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
          I find that I'm quite upset by the way James Watson is being treated. Complicated matters. No joke.
          Yes, it's quite sad - there is a better way of dealing with situations like this.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Wait and see how the hosts swoop on this joke about an Amish woman and delete it, they are very consistent on these matters.
            Surely a pun is only objectionable if the answer brings down scorn on, promotes anger against, a particular human grouping? IMVHO, this one didn't.
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
              Surely a pun is only objectionable if the answer brings down scorn on, promotes anger against, a particular human grouping? IMVHO, this one didn't.
              But nor did the Diane Abbot joke. It's up to the hosts as to where they set the bar. The Diane Abbot joke had to go, so this one will. They must maintain the reputation of the forum and if they were seen to allow jokes focusing on a women from a wholly or mainly white religious group, but deleting jokes about a Shadow Home Secretary who happened to be a black female, the the reputation of the forum would be harmed.

Comment

• Vox Humana
                • Dec 2012

I agree. It's just a play on words. Nothing more.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
                  I agree. It's just a play on words. Nothing more.
                  But that's not how the hosts view it.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

But that's not how the hosts view it.

I can still see the posting.
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

I can still see the posting.
                      Give the hosts some time, the Diane Abbot post was up for a few hours before it was taken down.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Give the hosts some time, the Diane Abbot post was up for a few hours before it was taken down.
                        Did you not post it (I hesitate to call it a joke), perhaps mistakenly, on the Ancestry thread?
                        I think you might have done.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

To clarify matters if anyone is interested. The Forum is run by a group of six Hosts, with me as overall caretaker. All Hosts can remove posts that they believe might cause offense either generally or in a specific context; the alternative is that a single Host should be responsible for "policing" the Forum all the time - not a role that anyone currently giving their time to perform Hostily duties is willing or prepared to do, least of all me. I support the other Hosts, and they support me - any contentious material is judged by Hosts, and all complaints discussed (even if only briefly) amongst us, and our decisions are, as they say, final as made clear in the T&Cs. I think that our combined judgements we have come to have been fair and reasonable - and has resulted in the Forum outlasting Roger Wright, the Radio 3 Messageboards, and other similar Blogs/Fora/Chatrooms.

There will be times, of course, when our decisions will be unwelcome to individual members and even to groups of members (just as some Host decisions are not always unanimous) and I am/we are sorry about that. But that is the way the cookie crumbles - to the general satisfaction of members, we hope - and that isn't going to alter for as long as I am "CEO", crusty old leftie that I am.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            T All Hosts can remove posts that they believe might cause offense ...
                            ... "cause offense"!!!

Well, that'll soitenly koize offence in some quarters...

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

To clarify matters if anyone is interested. The Forum is run by a group of six Hosts, with me as overall caretaker. All Hosts can remove posts that they believe might cause offense either generally or in a specific context; the alternative is that a single Host should be responsible for "policing" the Forum all the time - not a role that anyone currently giving their time to perform Hostily duties is willing or prepared to do, least of all me. I support the other Hosts, and they support me - any contentious material is judged by Hosts, and all complaints discussed (even if only briefly) amongst us, and our decisions are, as they say, final as made clear in the T&Cs. I think that our combined judgements we have come to have been fair and reasonable - and has resulted in the Forum outlasting Roger Wright, the Radio 3 Messageboards, and other similar Blogs/Fora/Chatrooms.

There will be times, of course, when our decisions will be unwelcome to individual members and even to groups of members (just as some Host decisions are not always unanimous) and I am/we are sorry about that. But that is the way the cookie crumbles - to the general satisfaction of members, we hope - and that isn't going to alter for as long as I am "CEO", crusty old leftie that I am.
                              Unavailable, for comment.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

Don't have a problem with that, but if I'm being accused of posting racist and misogynist posts, I should be called out publicly, not with a PM. And secondly, there needs to be consistency of handling when it comes to posts that refer to religious groups, race gender etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X