Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
    If it was marriage you were after
    I'm not.

wouldn't that be a proposal?

A proposition is something rather different. (I can assure you of this, having been in receipt of both.)
    Did you turn either of them down? (not that it's any of my business, of course)...

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Must you pollute every thread with this silly pedantry? It gets really tedious.
      Faute de mieux, je crois; I did write "Not sure if a more appropriate place for this might be the Pedants' Paradise thread" in #1630...

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        See #1620...
        That was Richard's joke.

The post of mine he's commenting on was just an aside, an answer to what I assumed was a serious question, thus:

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        ...ABdPJ...
        Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        ABdP ??
        Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.
        (Sorry to have offended Beefy, but that's something it's very difficult to avoid doing.)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

All the same, this thread (which aside from the very occasional sexist lapses, is a very good one) is being hijacked for other purposes. Could people please desist or develop some emotional intelligence, or both. And I don't even care if there should be a soddin' question mark in there somewhere, so don't say.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

I don't even care if there should be a soddin' question mark in there somewhere, so don't say.
            Just out of a complete lack of interest, is a soddin' one any different to any other kind?

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

One is forced to the conclusion that ahinton, jean and Beef Oven! don't actually know any jokes.

What's so great about Switzerland? Well, their flag is a big plus.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                One is forced to the conclusion that ahinton, jean and Beef Oven! don't actually know any jokes.

I know millions of jokes. May I take this opportunity to say that your 'Last Supper' joke was one of the funniest jokes I've ever come across - I was even laughing out loud days later!

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

One is forced to the conclusion that ahinton, jean and Beef Oven! don't actually know any jokes
                  The one to whom I'm responding, perhaps! - although I cannot speak for jean or Beef Oven! on this.

Nice one - but don't get me started on a serious answr to that question; I'll merely mention the Paul Sacher Stiftung in Basel and leave it at that.

As you were (or "as one was", perhaps)...

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

I know millions of jokes. May I take this opportunity to say that your 'Last Supper' joke was one of the funniest jokes I've ever come across - I was even laughing out loud days later!
                    Moi aussi (or am I not supposed to write anything in French?).

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      Moi aussi (or am I not supposed to write anything in French?).
                      Of Franco/Australian heritage, AH?
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Of Franco/Australian heritage, AH?
                        No - just Scots; pedantry determines that I'd have required an upper case "A" at the beginning and an additional "e" at the end had that been the case (yawn)...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

A couple of drawings from the New Yorker to lighten the mood (the New Yorker seems to have an editorial line on banjos)

©The New Yorker

"I'm trapped in an elevator - wait, it gets worse." © The New Yorker

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

I've had a lot of fun with that one. Whoever thought it up is a genius.

The recording studio cartoon reminds me of a story with a similar venue. A failed rock musician rents a studio to record his own suicide, and makes arrangements for the resulting disc to be produced and sent to an extensive list of promoters and critics. In the studio he reads a long statement - "This is for all you philistines out there who never gave my music a chance, who care only about the bottom line and couldn't give a flying damn about the creative musicians who slog their guts out all their lives just so you can sip cocktails on a beach in the Caribbean... (etc. etc.) well I've had enough, you ignored me, then you cheated me and finally you forgot about me, you ruined my life and I want you to know it's YOU who are responsible for what I'm about to do - " and he takes out a gun and shoots himself in the head. From the control room, the engineer says "Good level - shall we go for a take?"
                            Last edited by Richard Barrett; 18-05-16, 20:22.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                              • Dec 2010

Since RT has mentioned the New Yorker's banjo jokes, I shall risk repeating this:

Q: what is the difference between the banjo and the ukulele?
                              A: the ukulele makes the more satisfying sound...when sat on.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                                Ex-member
                                • Sep 2013

I've had a lot of fun with that one. Whoever thought it up is a genius.

The recording studio cartoon reminds me of a story with a similar venue. A failed rock musician rents a studio to record his own suicide, and makes arrangements for the resulting disc to be produced and sent to an extensive list of promoters and critics. In the studio he reads a long statement - "This is for all you philistines out there who never gave my music a chance, who care only about the bottom line and couldn't give a flying damn about the creative musicians who slog their guts out all their lives just so you can sip cocktails on a beach in the Caribbean... (etc. etc.) well I've had enough, you ignored me, then you cheated me and finally you forgot about me, you ruined my life and I want you to know it's YOU who are responsible for what I'm about to do - " and he takes out a gun and shoots himself in the head. From the control room, the engineer says "Good level - shall we go for a take?"

Comment

Working...
                                X