• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    Molly on the Shore? The Crew of the Long Serpent? Just don't go there

Further research shows that PG's 'problem' may not have been, as suggested above, restricted to London. One of those versions is called 'County Derriere'

And I fear the innocence of 'Walking Tune' must now be considered rather suspect
    I've often wondered why he entitled one of his pieces Irish Tune from County Derry; after all, such a tune could hardly be a French one, could it?...

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      I've often wondered why he entitled one of his pieces Irish Tune from County Derry; after all, such a tune could hardly be a French one, could it?...
      In all the years I've loved that arrangement (strings, wind band, choir or piano; or whatever) that had never once occurred to me. But you're right...

There's a mystery surrounding the tune. It was collected by Jane Ross of Limavady, who passed it to George Petrie for his influential collection of 1855. But no other collector recorded a version of the tune. It does now seem that there was a tune that might have spawned it:

However, there is a strong suspicion that what Jane Ross collected (a woman, mark you) was largely her own composition, perhaps influenced by another old tune that she (unlike others) just happened to know.
      Last edited by Pabmusic; 23-04-14, 07:15.

Comment

• Ant

Hello all,

How do you distinguish between legitimate jelly babies and illegitimate jelly babies? You turn the bag upside-down and the bastards fall out...

Regards Ant, just caught up on a sudden surge of jokes!
        Last edited by Guest; 23-04-14, 14:43. Reason: Reason for lateness...

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

In answer to the Why?, I suggest that it is a kind of a sign of authenticity to acknowledge where tunes come from eg 'Here is a tune I learned from Mickey O'Hara in Sligo'. In Ireland you don't have to say it's Irish, but elsewhere you might. The place is important.

I'm quite happy to go along with the herd and accept that the tune is as it claims to be. But, if it turns out that it is indeed a French tune, or whatever, my ear will not be totally dismayed. Don't ask me for details, but the tune does not fit into my sense of Irishness in music.

Whatever the truth of it, it's a great tune, isn't it? Vive La France!

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
            In answer to the Why?, I suggest that it is a kind of a sign of authenticity to acknowledge where tunes come from eg 'Here is a tune I learned from Mickey O'Hara in Sligo'. In Ireland you don't have to say it's Irish, but elsewhere you might. The place is important.

I'm quite happy to go along with the herd and accept that the tune is as it claims to be. But, if it turns out that it is indeed a French tune, or whatever, my ear will not be totally dismayed. Don't ask me for details, but the tune does not fit into my sense of Irishness in music.

Whatever the truth of it, it's a great tune, isn't it? Vive La France!
            !!!

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

!!!
              May I have an explanation for the exclamation?

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                May I have an explanation for the exclamation?
                Indeed you may, if you must! I simply found the Vive la France exhortation amusing in the context of my having written of the subject not being a French tune and all that...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                  • Apr 2007

By way of belated explanation/ excuse for my original posting about PG and derrieres, I was listening with half an ear to Breakfast with Petroc Trelawney on Tues. He certainly mentioned the Derry- or Londonderry-Air with no break/ luftpause. I sat up with a jolt with alarm bells ringing following unconscious mental pick-up of this as 'derriere'
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• clive heath

heading from a weekend agony column,

" We've found our son dressing up in his sister's ballet clothes, is he hiding something from us?"

A nutcracker?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

two-two?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

have we had this ?

Woman walks past a pet shop and sees a lovely parrot in the window. She goes in and asks how much the parrot is. It's only £4 but its cheap cos it used to live in a brothel and its language is a bit ripe. That's OK she says, I'm broad minded, and takes it home in a cage under a sheet. In the living room she takes the cover off and the parrot says
                        "Bugger me what a lovely room"
                        Her daughter walks in and the parrot says
                        "Bugger me what a lovely girl."
                        Her husband walks in and the parrot says
                        "Hello Kevin."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          have we had this ?

Woman walks past a pet shop and sees a lovely parrot in the window. She goes in and asks how much the parrot is. It's only £4 but its cheap cos it used to live in a brothel and its language is a bit ripe. That's OK she says, I'm broad minded, and takes it home in a cage under a sheet. In the living room she takes the cover off and the parrot says
                          "Bugger me what a lovely room"
                          Her daughter walks in and the parrot says
                          "Bugger me what a lovely girl."
                          Her husband walks in and the parrot says
                          "Hello Kevin."
                          I'm afraid so, GG.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Q. How many poets does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. Dunno - but they always rage against the dying of the light.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                              Late Member
                              • Sep 2012

Two Welsh wedding guests at a young girl's marriage ceremony.

"When's the baby due, then?"

"No - she isn't expecting."

"Ooh. There's posh for you!"

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

HS - I don't know if you are Welsh, but your post prompted me to look up the details of another Welsh horn player - Ifor James. I found the following in this page - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ifor_James:

"He was known among his students for sending them on curious errands such as paying hotel bills. He also had a puckish sense of humour. One former student recalls an incident where the two of them were at traffic lights in James' open-topped Morris Minor when a pretty girl walked alongside. James encouraged the younger man to "pinch her bottom as the lights go green, and I'll drive off". Needless to say when the young man did as bidden, James stayed put and turned to grin at the girl.

Welsh to the core, he famously averred that he only played the horn because he could not sing."

Wouldn't get away with that sort of behaviour in these politically correct days I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X