Clear All
  • Edgy 2
    • Jan 2019

“Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
      Is that a belated April Fool, Edgy? Or genuinely serious? Really, the world as we once knew it gets more and more bizarre every day!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Is that a belated April Fool, Edgy? Or genuinely serious? Really, the world as we once knew it gets more and more bizarre every day!
        I think it’s a (quite funny ) joke . But what isn’t a joke are those ones where you have to select traffic lights which are American and you don’t recognise them !

Comment

• Edgy 2
          • Jan 2019

Yes a joke and I also struggle with those traffic lights
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
            Yes a joke and I also struggle with those traffic lights
            There should be one of sections of the score of 4’33” saying select the ones which have a note on them.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Paraphrasing Andy Zaltzman on 'The News Quiz' this evening: Given the present new health issues and it's effect on people's finances, Paul Lewis will host an edition of 'Monkeypox Live' on Radio 4.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Headline on today's BBC lunchtime news: "Tory MP groped men in private members club".

Who would have, er, spotted that? Not ones for puns, our friends at the Beeb?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Headline on today's BBC lunchtime news: "Tory MP groped men in private members club".

Who would have, er, spotted that? Not ones for puns, our friends at the Beeb?
                  I assume they serve bols cocktails in there, S_A.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

In a shock statement today, Mo Farage, the once media-courted and assumed political long distancer, has revealed that far from his place of birth being Kent, as was widely believed, he had in fact been born in Somalia and trafficked to the United Kingdom as a child. "The biggest challenge facing us was in persuading the people of South Thanet - a notorious entry point for illegal migrants - to let us through", he stated.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

In a shock statement today, Mo Farage, the once media-courted and assumed political long distancer, has revealed that far from his place of birth being Kent, as was widely believed, he had in fact been born in Somalia and trafficked to the United Kingdom as a child. "The biggest challenge facing us was in persuading the people of South Thanet - a notorious entry point for illegal migrants - to let us through", he stated.
                      They ran after him but couldn’t catch him!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        They ran after him but couldn’t catch him!

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

While looking through the table of charity fundraising books outside Tesco the other day I saw this blurb on the front cover of one; "However far you fall God can use you again".
                          Well I suppose re-use is preferable to recycle...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            While looking through the table of charity fundraising books outside Tesco the other day I saw this blurb on the front cover of one; "However far you fall God can use you again".
                            Well I suppose re-use is preferable to recycle...
                            I wonder how many people have noticed the number of individuals and organisations devoted to the promulgation of the idea of "'Im Upstairs" that seem to be proliferating just now. I suppose it's an alternative to the unacceptable one of advocating practicable political alternatives. Being something of a devotee to horror films, I spent the latter part of yesterday evening watching "The Conjuring", an American movie from 2013 about a nice middle class family becoming possessed by malevolent spirits in the house they have bought. There were some good effects - how does one manage to stage people being dragged out of bed by their ankles without using ropes? but most of this was about pretty young women and children - and one wonders as to the psychological impact of making such movies on them - being threatened and attacked mostly from behind from things lurking in shadows and the inevitable previously unknown about cellars. Really there was only one male who inevitably gets his eventual comeuppance for being the usual snide sceptic - up to which point the paranormal investigative team who take up residence have thankfully made few references to the One Great Evilness Challenger - but it is only in the closing credits that we are told in no uncertain terms that we all need to be on the constant lookout because There Really Are Evil Forces At Work Out There - and, if course, In Here - while all the time rekindling ideas of women, in particular, as on the one hand the special bearers of clairvoyance and on the other their own worst enemies for either being or making themselves so obvious, stereotyped and vulnerable. Yet we watch such stuff and still wonder what it is about America and Americans...

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

I wonder how many people have noticed the number of individuals and organisations devoted to the promulgation of the idea of "'Im Upstairs" that seem to be proliferating just now. I suppose it's an alternative to the unacceptable one of advocating practicable political alternatives. Being something of a devotee to horror films, I spent the latter part of yesterday evening watching "The Conjuring", an American movie from 2013 about a nice middle class family becoming possessed by malevolent spirits in the house they have bought. There were some good effects - how does one manage to stage people being dragged out of bed by their ankles without using ropes? but most of this was about pretty young women and children - and one wonders as to the psychological impact of making such movies on them - being threatened and attacked mostly from behind from things lurking in shadows and the inevitable previously unknown about cellars. Really there was only one male who inevitably gets his eventual comeuppance for being the usual snide sceptic - up to which point the paranormal investigative team who take up residence have thankfully made few references to the One Great Evilness Challenger - but it is only in the closing credits that we are told in no uncertain terms that we all need to be on the constant lookout because There Really Are Evil Forces At Work Out There - and, if course, In Here - while all the time rekindling ideas of women, in particular, as on the one hand the special bearers of clairvoyance and on the other their own worst enemies for either being or making themselves so obvious, stereotyped and vulnerable. Yet we watch such stuff and still wonder what it is about America and Americans...
                              Abdication of responsibility does have its appeal when life seems to be too overwhelming.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Abdication of responsibility does have its appeal when life seems to be too overwhelming.
                                Too true, unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                                X