Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... the old joke : the Welshman who was stranded on a desert island. When, many years later, he was finally rescued, the landing party was surprized to find that he had built a little village for himself on the desert island. He showed them around his house and other points of interest. When his rescuers asked him why he had built two chapels, the Welshman said 'That there is the chapel I go to ... and that is the chapel I don't go to.'

When I recounted this to an American Jewish friend he jumped up and said - 'but you've stolen our joke!'

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... the old joke : the Welshman who was stranded on a desert island. When, many years later, he was finally rescued, the landing party was surprized to find that he had built a little village for himself on the desert island. He showed them around his house and other points of interest. When his rescuers asked him why he had built two chapels, the Welshman said 'That there is the chapel I go to ... and that is the chapel I don't go to.'

When I recounted this to an American Jewish friend he jumped up and said - 'but you've stolen our joke!'

I have a suspicion Dylan Thomas would have appreciated that exchange!

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Great joke! Love it!

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Can somebody please explain this joke, which a friend recently told me:
          For a bet - well, actually to raise some much-needed beer money - a trio of Scottish students announced that they would carry an oven to the top of Britain's highest mountain. In order to prove they'd achieved this unlikely feat, they left the oven at the summit, clearly labelled 'Benrayburn' (?)
          (I think I get the 'Ben' bit - probably the name of one of the students).

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            Can somebody please explain this joke, which a friend recently told me:
            For a bet - well, actually to raise some much-needed beer money - a trio of Scottish students announced that they would carry an oven to the top of Britain's highest mountain. In order to prove they'd achieved this unlikely feat, they left the oven at the summit, clearly labelled 'Benrayburn' (?)
            (I think I get the 'Ben' bit - probably the name of one of the students).
            Are you really in need of explanation?
            Ben as in mountain (Ben Nevis)
            Rayburn as in oven (AGA)
            For 75 years, Rayburn by AGA has led the field in central heating cast iron range cookers. With a choice of cooker only models, cooking and hot water or cooking, hot water and central heating models, a Rayburn can provide a solution for all your heating and cooking needs in one.

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Rayburn as in oven (AGA)
              https://www.agaliving.com/products/r...st-iron-ranges
              It’s just not, perhaps, a very funny joke! Rayburns are not AGAs, but may be made by the same company.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Rayburn as in oven (AGA)
                If you don’t relish the climb you can always Hawk a fridge around Ireland!

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  This is just the sort of thing that happens in a mountain range.

The people responsible probably needed to wear hobnail boots.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

I enjoyed that book - a happy charity shop punt.
                    Someone I knew got into the extreme ironing thing for raising charity money - and also because he was something of an eccentric.
                    And isn't there an annual event to get a car up Ben Nevis?

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Rayburn as in oven (AGA)
                      Oh, I see .... when you get to the top of that mountain, the OVEN is still there! (Silly me)

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        I enjoyed that book - a happy charity shop punt.
                        Someone I knew got into the extreme ironing thing for raising charity money - and also because he was something of an eccentric.
                        And isn't there an annual event to get a car up Ben Nevis?
                        I liked Tony H’s ‘Piano in the Pyrennes’, very much also.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

I liked Tony H’s Piano in the Pyrennes very much also.
                          Apparently he's been offered the job of following the PM round with a fridge - probably the same one - in case BJ wants to walk into it to avoid any more awkward questions.
                          I enjoyed TH's book about tennis. He's also very good on 'Just A Minute'.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                            Apparently he's been offered the job of following the PM round with a fridge - probably the same one - in case BJ wants to walk into it to avoid any more awkward questions.
                            I enjoyed TH's book about tennis. He's also very good on 'Just A Minute'.
                            I sometimes think BJ is sponsored by Fyffes.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Q: Current favourite joke?
                              A: The Archers

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                Q: Current favourite joke?
                                A: The Archers
                                An easy target (boom! boom!). Isn't the pub in Ambridge called The Bull?

Comment

Working...
                                X