• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edashtav
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

An outskirt!
    To retain its shape, perhaps, one should use a skirt in board .

Comment

• edashtav
      • Jul 2012

Bruno Walter was interviewed about Opera whilst visiting London by the Daily News during May, 1930.

Herr [Bruno] Walter. who is not an anti-modernist, finds that most modern operas which have been produced In Europe in the last decade show a great deal of technical cleverness and wit but little that shows promise of enduring. " Jonny spielt auf," [Ernst Krenek] for example, which
      " went up like a rocket, and came down like a stick”.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Except, Jonathan does not "do" Rachmaninov, (or Rachmaninoff, come to that) as he makes clear on Facebook. The venue mentioned, St Hilda's, Oxford, lent plausibility but It just ain't Jonathan's bag; The source of the image? The BBC's "The Following Events Are Based On A Pack Of Lies​". How apposite.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

"Lyndhurst in Hampshire has the greatest crime rates in the country - and Sherlock Holmes is buried there, would you believe?!"

Slebrity millionaire Lizzy Cundy, unchecked and in all seriousness, a moment ago on Storm Huntley, Channel 5, during discussion "Would more bobbies on the beat cut crime?"

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

This rather amused me.
            “It is totally outrageous and makes Johnson look like a chump”,
            From a story about one of Johnson's resignation honours plants not sticking to the rules(stuffing HOL with Tories)

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Q. What's red and bad for your teeth?

A. A brick.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to post a joke; but it needs a spot of info. I don't have the linguistic, geographic or piscine/gastronomical skills to fully understand the set up, but I loved the punchline so much. In other words, I think I get it and some here might enjoy.
                So here goes:

A woman lands at Logan Airport in Boston. She jumps into a taxi and says to the cabbie, 'Take me to a place where I can get scrod.'
                The cabbie turns round and says, 'That's the first time I've heard that requested in the pluperfect subjunctive.'

Scrod is a kind of fish from that region apparently.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post

Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to post a joke; but it needs a spot of info. I don't have the linguistic, geographic or piscine/gastronomical skills to fully understand the set up, but I loved the punchline so much. In other words, I think I get it and some here might enjoy.
                  So here goes:

A woman lands at Logan Airport in Boston. She jumps into a taxi and says to the cabbie, 'Take me to a place where I can get scrod.'
                  The cabbie turns round and says, 'That's the first time I've heard that requested in the pluperfect subjunctive.'

But to be pedantic, isn't "piscine" actually the French for "swimming pool"?

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

So here goes:

I get it too John. That 'pluperfect subjunctive' has me wobbling, but it must be OK, otherwise S_A would have told us.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

"One reason why many children are not potty trained by the time they go to school might be because their parents can't be arsed" - comment on telly this morning. Of six people who heard this remark - the TV host, his two guests, two camera persons, and me - unless they were being deliberately po-faced - only one heard anything funny in it. Which only goes to show that, yet again, I was the odd man out.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        "One reason why many children are not potty trained by the time they go to school might be because their parents can't be arsed" - comment on telly this morning. Of six people who heard this remark - the TV host, his two guests, two camera persons, and me - unless they were being deliberately po-faced - only one heard anything funny in it. Which only goes to show that, yet again, I was the odd man out.
                        Hahahaha!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

I enjoyed this in an article in today's Guardian about interpreters:

I am reminded of a cartoon I saw in a German newspaper, showing a man in a boiling rage throttling another man who, despite the violence being visited on him, is completely calm; the caption read, “He is waiting for the verb.”

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

I enjoyed Joe Wilkinson's joke a day or so back:'I was raised by wolves! After I was born, my parents abandoned me on the steps at Molineux.'

Comment

• Pulcinella
                              Host
                              • Feb 2014

I enjoyed Joe Wilkinson's joke a day or so back:'I was raised by wolves! After I was born, my parents abandoned me on the steps at Molineux.'

Did he get his spurs along the way?
                              Wolves certainly showed them a thing (or three) at the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X