X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Land's End to John O’Groats

Have you ever been tempted to make this epic walk, or do you know anyone who's done it?

It's a long time since I heard of anyone doing it. I supose it's not so inviting in these days of heavier motor traffic.

A delightful TV play by Michael Frayn some years ago ('First and Last' starring Joss Ackland) put it in context with the concepts of life-long ambition, declining health, etc.

Is there an equivelent in other countries? Do the French long to walk from st - Jean-de Luz to Bray Dunes, or do New Zealanders plan a walk from Invercargill to North Cape? Or is it just ridiculous British obsession?
  • mopsus
    • Nov 2010

Not really an answer to your question, but a friend is attempting a 'virtual' walk from Land's End to John O'Groats this year. The distance they actually walk, wherever they are, is measured against that route, and they get told where they would be if they'd walked the same cumulative distance on it. When I last heard they were still in Cornwall but close to Devon. What this shows is how canonical (in the original sense of 'canon' as a measuring stick!) the journey from Land's End to John O'Groats is in Britain.

Comment

• kuligin
      • Nov 2010

The French cycle, amongst other routes, the Diagonals of France, the main one is Brest to Menton. You choose your own route, have a form stamped by the police at each end, and if you do it within the set time you are awarded a Brevet. There is a web site dedicated to achieving this feat.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
        The French cycle, amongst other routes, the Diagonals of France, the main one is Brest to Menton. You choose your own route, have a form stamped by the police at each end, and if you do it within the set time you are awarded a Brevet. There is a web site dedicated to achieving this feat.
        ... I have in idle moments traced on a French map the watershed between the Mediterranean and the Atlantic, which might make an attractive long-range walk for such as are interested...

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          Have you ever been tempted to make this epic walk, or do you know anyone who's done it?
          I asked my neurophysio whether - given that physical improvement depends on constant repetition of movements - if I walked from Land's End to John o' Groats I would be back to normal when I finished. She said, "... Shouldn't think so", so I haven't bothered
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
            • Dec 2022

Have walked parts of the Thames path and Cornish coastal walk, cherry picking bits and not doing the whole thing seem best. Read a book on someone walking ancient paths and sea routes recently, reminded me it best to just walk for the day and return home to a nice bath rather than camping out.
            Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

Thanks for these. I was interested to hear France has an 'offical ' route.

What about Chile, I wonder, top to toe.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

The John O’Groats to Lands End concept is somewhat flawed. We’re I to attempt such a walk, I would probably do the more appropriate alternative: Dunnet Head to Lizard Point - from the most northerly point on the UK mainland to the most southerly point. J O’G to LE is neither. Another option would be from Ardnamurchan Point to Lowestoft Ness - the most westerly point to the most easterly.

However, there are more interesting long distance walks to consider, such as the Coast to Coast, Offa’s Dyke or the Cleveland Way. The South West Coastal Path is tempting, but perhaps it’s not for me.

The dullest of all national trails has to be the Wolds Way, which happens to be my local one.

Comment

• JasonPalmer
                  • Dec 2022

Remember seeing signs about the coast to coast walk in the Lake District, maybe one day...

Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I asked my neurophysio whether - given that physical improvement depends on constant repetition of movements - if I walked from Land's End to John o' Groats I would be back to normal when I finished. She said, "... Shouldn't think so", so I haven't bothered
                    Have you read the Raynor Winn books: ‘The Salt Path’, ‘The Wild Silence’ and ‘Landlines’? The effect the long-distance walking had on Moth’s health defied the predictions of doctors (though statistically doctors are usually right).

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Have you read the Raynor Winn books: ‘The Salt Path’, ‘The Wild Silence’ and ‘Landlines’? The effect the long-distance walking had on Moth’s health defied the predictions of doctors (though statistically doctors are usually right).
                      Will check those, thank you. In my case I have no problem with distances: it's just the time it takes. In the case of L'sE to Jo'G I'd estimate about 3-4 years
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                      X