'They have yet to do a classical music edition of "Snog, Marry, Avoid"' says cavatina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

'They have yet to do a classical music edition of "Snog, Marry, Avoid"' says cavatina

So let's...

Which classical music artists come into the above categories for forum members?

I can start the ball rolling. I would marry Miah Persson.

Any more for any more?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Anna

Oh dear, is this going to be a thread about middle-aged geezers lusting over young blonde trumpet players? Miah Persson - personally I'd rather have Anna Netrebko anytime

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

I've never seen the programme so don't know exactly what's involved, but from the sound of it, if we're dealing with living people here the 'avoid' category would be a bit mean, wouldn't it? I can think of several, though. In fact, quite a lot.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

I'm not allowed to get married.

I'd 'avoid', in the way it's used here, anybody female.

Snog? - that'd be telling & a gentleman never tells.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Oh dear, is this going to be a thread about middle-aged geezers lusting over young blonde trumpet players? Miah Persson - personally I'd rather have Anna Netrebko anytime
          Nothing in the rules to preclude ladies of a certain, or any, age lusting over virile young gentlemen, whatever their instrument. Don't fancy a spot of Juan Diego Flores with your Weetabix, Anna me duck??

PS For the record, I'd never heard of the programme either, but I quite like the concept... and I think one can 'avoid' without being too nasty. For instance, I'd 'avoid' Valery Gergiev... I don't imagine he cares much!
          Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 23-08-11, 17:34.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I always liked and got on with older men, which makes my choice rather limited now. Think I'll watch from the sidelines

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Nothing in the rules to preclude ladies of a certain, or any, age lusting over virile young gentlemen, whatever their instrument. Don't fancy a spot of Juan Diego Flores with your Weetabix, Anna me duck??

PS For the record, I'd never heard of the programme either, but I quite like the concept... and I think one can 'avoid' without being too nasty. For instance, I'd 'avoid' Valery Gergiev...
              Juan Diego Flores? Ooh, No, not at all, looks far too clean cut and wholesome! Can we indulge in necrophilia? If so, then it'd be a young Puccini, he looks really sultry, dirty and dangerous in his porkpie hat with his sleepy eyes and moustache and fag hanging out of his mouth! Ooh, what am I saying?

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                So let's...
                It's just an anagram of "Gray moron divas", n'est-ce pas?

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  Oh dear, is this going to be a thread about middle-aged geezers lusting over young blonde trumpet players?
                  Probably - but why? And who are the other young blonde trumpet players anyway?(!). And why do they necessarily have to be blonde and why trumpet players and not - er - violinists?

And why don't I just shut up and stop asking inane questions?

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

One of the great joys of working with musicians was that their talent seemed to bear no relation to their comeliness. It was a repeated delight to be faced with apparently very ordinary-looking, sometimes downright dowdy, people - whom one wdn't give a second glance at on the tube - and then, when they started performing - to be totally transported by the magic of what they had inside them and were able to produce.

Yes, of course some are cuter than others - say Carole Cerasi, or Joshua Bell - but somehow it doesn't matter a jot when they're playing. It's not like one's admiration for tennis players, or actors, or dancers - where the physical attractiveness is certainly part of the appeal.

So, nah, I'm not playing this game...

Comment

• Mandryka

I thought about starting a thread like this once, but didn't quite dare.....

Italian soprano Barbara Frittoli (who seems to have vanished from the radar, at least in the UK) is definitely up my street, though I fear she'd put horns on me....

Regine Crespin had something....she was no great looker but I always found her singing and interpretative skills very persuasive, as - apparently - did many of the men who were fortunate enough to work with her. I'll admit that her Sieglinde really turns me on (she certainly doesn't sound like anyone's over-ripe Auntie).

Netrebko has a very disturbing effect on me. When I see a pic of her, even if its one of the rare non-provocative ones, I come over all primal. Better leave it at that, eh?

I remember Karita Mattila being a very erotic Jenufa.

Outside of opera, well....I hate to be unoriginal, but Nicola Benedetti does it for me (I assume she must be a good violinist; she sure takes a great pic) and I think it would've been fun to spend an afternoon (but no more than an afternoon) with the young Martha Argerich.

Comment

• makropulos
                        • Nov 2010

"Italian soprano Barbara Frittoli (who seems to have vanished from the radar, at least in the UK)"

Not if your radar extends northwards a bit: she was Desdemona in Noseda's Otello in Manchester (16th April this year). Since then I think she went on tour with the Met to Japan in the summer, and seems to be quite busy in Europe. But it's certainly a couple of years since I heard her in London - the last time was the Countess in the ROH Figaro (Mackerras, 2008).

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                          I always liked and got on with older men, which makes my choice rather limited now. Think I'll watch from the sidelines
                          That's you, Sir Colin Davis and Leslie Phillips on the sidelines, salymap?

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            That's you, Sir Colin Davis and Leslie Phillips on the sidelines, salymap?
                            ... along with Elliot Carter!

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                              "Italian soprano Barbara Frittoli (who seems to have vanished from the radar, at least in the UK)"

Not if your radar extends northwards a bit: she was Desdemona in Noseda's Otello in Manchester (16th April this year). Since then I think she went on tour with the Met to Japan in the summer, and seems to be quite busy in Europe. But it's certainly a couple of years since I heard her in London - the last time was the Countess in the ROH Figaro (Mackerras, 2008).
                              That's good to know. I am in London far more than I'm in Manchester, so I have to struggle to avoid the not at Covent Garden=retired/past it mindset.

Comment

Working...
                              X