Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2LO

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    Are they going to ban lampshades next? After all, they cut down on efficiency so shouldn't be allowed.
    Oh, a lamp's not a lamp without a proper lampshade, is it? They could ban net curtains though - they must cut a lot of light around dusk, and they do look so suburban, what with all that twitching to see what's going on in the street.

For proper lightbulbs, try the little independent pound-type shops. My local still has 100W bulbs, though they look to be of dubious origin...

Comment

• barber olly

Looking at the majority of responses against low-energy bulbs maybe the old ones should be renamed luddight bulbs! I've personally no objections to the new type but my dilemma, disliking waste, was should I replace my old bulbs before they 'went' on the grounds that the new ones used considerably less power or wait until my stock was used up so as not to waste the money I'd already spent. However reading above the answer is clear - put them on ebay the demand is there. The final question is - once the old bulbs become illegal will the ultra-cheap new bulbs suddenly become less cheap?

Comment

• Mahlerei

i only use the new-style bulbs and have no problems at all. And they've lasted pretty well - I haven't needed to change one for ages. My leccy bill has come down too. The only downside I can see is that they need to be disposed of very carefully, and not just chucked in the bin.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

We have many low energy bulbs. Our electricity bill would be very high without them. However, we mostly use them for background lighting. When we really want light we have a 250 watt uplighter (rated at 400 watts, but the new halogen "bulbs" are about 250 watts) which is on for a few hours each night, particularly in the winter. Also, in the kitchen we have up to 0.5 kW of overhead spotlights controlled by the main switches, but we actually increased the lighting by adding under unit fluorescents, and high unit (hidden) fluorescents, as well as a few more spots. If everything is on I think the kitchen runs now at about 700 Watts, but the clever thing is that if we only use the new lighting we run at under 200 Watts, rather than 4-500 Watts as before. We have tried LED lighting, but so far it's not been good. I would have accepted it, mixed with other lights, but others find it difficult. I think all LED lighting is probably still too harsh, and to get good LEDs the unit prices are high. Cheapish ones often have a colour cast.

I think the age of the inhabs has an effect. Some younger people who use our rooms on occasions seem to have been eating lots of carrots, as they can often read with virtually no light at all!

Old people's care homes are affected. Some do use LE lights, but leave them on all the time. This can still present problems for some people though. It is probable that even leaving LE lights on all the time in some situations may still be cheaper than using conventional bulbs, though it does depend on usage factors.

My recommendation would be to have at least a few table lamps with low energy bulbs, but if you must have incandescents, put them in overhead or critical positions. Most of the low energy ones now have much quicker start up times, though some still take a while to build up to full strength.

CompIaints about start up times often refer to older bulbs, and indeed we still have some very large chunky ones. The fact that they still work probably at least 10 years after they were bought, does say something, though not all LE bubbles have long lifetimes, despite the claims made for them. Could we even have some 15 or more years old?

Re stocking up - I'm afraid I stock up both incandescent AND LE bulbs. When LE bulbs are 10p each, I usually buy a few. When the others go out, maybe the cheapest prices for LEs will rise, though LE pricing often depends on quite a few factors - size and fitting etc. Overall I'd expect LE prices to come down.

On the whole I believe that LE lighting is a good thing and shouldn't really be resisted.

Comment

• hafod
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            On the whole I believe that LE lighting is a good thing and shouldn't really be resisted.
            I think this is right. However, I take exception to being denied the option to use what type of bulb I prefer for a particular application through the device of making it unavailable. I use LE bulbs where it makes sense and would be grateful if nanny got back in her box and let me exercise my own judgement.

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

I like the principle of low energy light bulbs and have been gradually replacing my conventional ones with expensive Philips 'Energy Saver' ones. However, I am disappointed in the long-life claims. On the box it says 8 years and I've just had one blow after about one year, which is no better than the old fashioned ones and a great deal more expensive. I havent done the sums, but I doubt what I save on electricity compensates for the extra cost if they are only going to last for such a short time.

Someone mentioned a need for careful disposal. Is there something nasty in them? There's nothing on the Philips box to say so.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                Someone mentioned a need for careful disposal. Is there something nasty in them? There's nothing on the Philips box to say so.
                there is a very tiny amount of mercury - very small and much smaller than the older style long tubular lamps- most of warnings are FUD - not sure re internal coating (the bit that fluoresces) some of the early coatings were not pleasant to get into your bloodstream via broken glass but think those have been phased out - however many shops have a box for disposal - the halogen bulbs save only 20-30% of energy + run very hot

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                  There are potentially serious health issues if a compact fluorescent light unit breaks. I had one explode/implode about a year ago. The advice is to air the room concerned thoroughly to let the mercury vapour disperse.

See here:

Comment

• Frances_iom
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    There are potentially serious health issues if a compact fluorescent light unit breaks. I had one explode/implode about a year ago. The advice is to air the room concerned thoroughly to let the mercury vapour disperse.

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact...nmental_issues
                    doesn't quite agree with my reading - confusion between chronic (ie long continuing) exposure with a short term blip - just think of the amount of long fluorescent tubes in use post 1930 without problems - the broken glass is probably more dangerous

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                      I think this is right. However, I take exception to being denied the option to use what type of bulb I prefer for a particular application through the device of making it unavailable. I use LE bulbs where it makes sense and would be grateful if nanny got back in her box and let me exercise my own judgement.
                      Up to a point, Lord Copper.

The fact that you take exception to something is not a good ground for it happening, or not. I take exception to many things - so what! Things I really, really care about I deal with, otherwise I don't bother. Why should you be allowed choice and the ability to exercise your own judgement over everything?

Surely this issue re energy and "green" living must come as a significantly higher priority than plastic bags in supermarkets. Unless they make it much more expensive to buy the incandescent ones, many people will just carry on with the old ones. The savings on each light bulb can eventually mount up for homeowners, and they should definitely reduce the overall loading on the grid, if everyone could be persuaded to switch. Many people just don't have a clue about this sort of thing. I don't expect that it will turn out to be impossible to get old style bulbs in a year or two, but it may get expensive and/or harder. You may have to find which factories make them (possibly Hungarian), and which commercial uses they could still have, plus a suitable wholesale supplier.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by 2LO View Post
                        They could ban net curtains though - they must cut a lot of light around dusk, and they do look so suburban, what with all that twitching to see what's going on in the street.
                        I've never really understood the English obsession with net. If you're ashamed of what you're doing, either close the curtains or don't do it!

Comment

• 2LO

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                          I've never really understood the English obsession with net. If you're ashamed of what you're doing, either close the curtains or don't do it!
                          . . .and if national stereotypes ran true, the English wouldn't even be getting up to as much as their continental neighbours!

Actually, I've seen plenty of net curtains in France. Ex-pats maybe.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Like many others, I have a shamefully big box full of traditional bulbs which should last me for a number of years.

As regards the French and net curtains, haven't we now adopted the French word "voiles" to describe them. Or is there a difference?

Comment

• 2LO

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                              As regards the French and net curtains, haven't we now adopted the French word "voiles" to describe them. Or is there a difference?
                              Maybe the word just suggests what goes on behind them...

Comment

Working...
                              X