• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

BBC Sounds...again

There's probably a thread lurking somewhere, but I'm busting to vent my spleen quickly about BBC Sounds. I tried to get it on my mobile just now (to catch up on the One o'clock news) and it asked me to sign-in or register AGAIN. Why? I just can't stand all the password/user-name c**p, and I fail to see why it's needed when there are no security matters involved.

BTW, I find the best way to get a programme is to Google the one you want, and it seems to bypass all the hurdles.

It seems 'BBC Sounds' is bumped up all the time by continuity announcers. The very mention of it brings me out in a rash. Aaarghhh!
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    There's probably a thread lurking somewhere, but I'm busting to vent my spleen quickly about BBC Sounds. I tried to get it on my mobile just now (to catch up on the One o'clock news) and it asked me to sign-in or register AGAIN. Why? I just can't stand all the password/user-name c**p, and I fail to see why it's needed when there are no security matters involved.

BTW, I find the best way to get a programme is to Google the one you want, and it seems to bypass all the hurdles.

It seems 'BBC Sounds' is bumped up all the time by continuity announcers. The very mention of it brings me out in a rash. Aaarghhh!
    I have the BBC Sounds and BBC News apps on my ipad - no probs with Sounds but the News one tells me each time that I will soon have to sign in - I’ve dodged it so far, mainly because I’m not sure what my password is and if I changevit I’ll probably have to sign in any other BBC things I have including iplayer on my TV!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

Don't get me going (again) on BBC SOUNDS!!!!!!!!!! Still not working on Alexa Echo Dot & I've given in (it's in the workshop awaiting ceremonial dismantling.)
      From the Alexa BBC Sounds App reviews, there are still lots of other frustrated people.

I had a polite query from them - I sent back a fairly fruity reply to the effect it wasn't working.
      From: BBC iPlayer Website <bbc_iplayer_website@contact.bbc.co.uk>
      Sent: 09 May 2022 12:57
      Subject: BBC iPlayer & BBC Sounds - Case number CAS-
      Dear ,
      Thank you very much for getting back in touch, and for your patience whilst waiting on a response from us.
      I'm sorry for the delay in getting back in touch with you. We did receive your email shortly after you sent it, however it's taken longer than we would normally expect to be able to respond, so thank you for your patience.
      Can I check with you please whether you've been able to link your account to your Alexa speaker? Or is it still an issue for you?
      If you can let us know, we'll be sure to pass your details to our Smart Speaker team for further investigation.
      Thank you again for getting back to us, and for your patience whilst waiting for a response.
      Kind regards,

Even the BBC website puts up an occasional "it's better if you login" prompt with a tiny "Maybe later" as the only way of getting rid of it. How much longer before that's obligatory as well?
      Why no "B#gger off and stop pestering me" checkbox?

Last edited by AuntDaisy; 18-05-22, 17:05. Reason: Added Signing in is quick & easy image

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

I suspect they really just want our usage data - to justify the latest BBC vogue, or to sell on.

Yes, the endless SOUNDS adverts are very annoying.
        "If you've been affected by any of the issues raised... there are details of organisations that offer advice and support" but will ignore you.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Yes I get that sometimes on iPhone but not on iPad or smart tv even though I rarely if ever clear the cookies on the iPhone . I find that if I ignore it and just click through it works. I think it’s software glitch at “their” end.
          I’m assuming you’ve downloaded the app

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

You are not wrong ardcarp! In fact I find almost everything the BBC does these days annoying. I find I am using BBC programmes less and less.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

As far as Alexa goes, I just ask fir BBC Radio 3 and 99/100, it comes up trumps. I find BBC Soubds works quite easily fr me and a good sound, too.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Lento
                • Jan 2014

There's an App called Radioplayer which works well, if you just want to listen live.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks Lento! I've downloaded it, and so far it works just fine with no hurdles. Once you've chosen from the many radio stations available (in my case BBC Radio 3 and 4) they are there waiting for you.

Comment

Working...
                  X