• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Hello?
    <knocks hesitantly on door, opens it, pokes head round>
    Excuse me. Is this the Updated House Rules thread or the cavatina thread? Oh. Right. I see.
    <tiptoes out quietly and carefully closes door. Ducks behind the sofa>
    You must have slammed the door hard at some point Anna. The ducks that were on the wall are now behind the sofa....
    Last edited by eighthobstruction; 25-08-11, 19:13.
    bong ching

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      I don't see any evidence of it doing that - but then I'm not one of its most frequent contributors, so maybe I'm missing something...
      I think you're doing yourself a disservice: from a quick perusal of said forum I note that (assuming you are still ahinton there) you are a "hero" member with some 2,500 posts to your name. I note that a hero is the highest accolade which can be bestowed representing, presumably, a heroic level of posting.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

'Hero Member'....gad, whenever there is a sticky moment[requiring intellect and lawyerly skills], you'd need someone as araldite as him....
        bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          You must have slammed the door hard at some point Anna. The ducks that were on the wall are now behind the sofa....

....stop the C bashing....
          Mirror, mirror, on the wall
          Who is the fairest of them all?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Mirror, mirror, on the wall
            Who is the fairest of them all?
            Oh, Me Sir, Me Sir. Choose Me Sir!!! Please Sir!
            <Snork emoticon. This thread is getting silly and it isn't even the Bank Holiday yet!>

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              'Hero Member'....gad, whenever there is a sticky moment[requiring intellect and lawyerly skills], you'd need someone as araldite as him....
              Or more so in all particulars - or indeed as Teflonesque, not even instead but at the same time; one does one's best, even though one has no sense of personal heroism of any kind - intended, thrust upon or otherwise - in so doing...

Comment

• cavatina

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                I think that that is part of the problem - people who care becoming disillusioned & withdrawing from all political activity (& perhaps social engagement?). If we don't get, or stay, involved then things will only get worse.
                I suppose I was disillusioned by spending three years of my life doing policy work with extremely intelligent, thoughtful people-- only to produce monographs which nobody in DC ever bothered to read unless they could somehow use it to bolster their own agendas. Depressing, to put it mildly.

I'd rather focus on "social engagement" in small, concrete ways: emergency animal rehoming and surplus food distribution to individual people and a food bank run by a church group. It might not make a difference in the overall scheme of things, but it keeps people from going hungry for the night and finds loving homes for animals who otherwise would have been put to death on an overcrowded animal shelter's euthanasia list.

Curious, what kind of political work do you do? What is it that keeps you going and makes you feel it's worthwhile?

Comment

Working...
                X