• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The Illustrated Police News

I was (by chance) listening to Lucy Worsley's programme on Radio 4 today about some Victorian murder inquest. It was apparently widely reported in the Nation's press; soberly in the Times, but sensationally (and salaciously?) in The Illustrated Police News I must say I'd not heard of that newspaper before....but contrary to the impression given by the name, it seems to have been an early version of The Sun !

Anyone know more about it?
    Last edited by ardcarp; 27-04-22, 19:36. Reason: correcting mistaken newspaper name
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I was (by chance) listening to Lucy Worsley's programme on Radio 4 today about some Victorian murder inquest. It was apparently widely reported in the Nation's press; soberly in the Times, but sensationally (and salaciously?) in The Police Gazette. I must say I'd not heard of that newspaper before....but contrary to the impression given by the name, it seems to have been an early version of The Sun !

Anyone know more about it?
    Google is your friend, as always: (from information kindly received) this was the one that Lucy W referred to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Il...ed_Police_News
    Last edited by Petrushka; 27-04-22, 19:02.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Apologies. You are of course correct. (I was driving at the time and only listening with half an ear.) It struck me as odd that a newspaper with the word 'police' in it should be somewhat sensational! I've just corrected the original post and heading.

Comment

Working...
      X