X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EnemyoftheStoat
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    But do you enjoy the surface noise on the very quiet starts to Firebird and Daphnis?
    It was so disappointing to discover that the first few minutes of those actually contain music, not just crackle and rumble.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      For younger buyers I am certain that the slower process of buying and playing vinyl, the element of deliberate choice, is an important driver.
      There are people who sneer at the vinyl revival, but it is paying the wages of artists and record company staff, and IMHO opinion, the revival is a very good thing.
      Streaming has its place, but it has the potential to be a way of accessing music that also has its downsides.
      Oh, I’m not decrying it! Anything that’s putting work and money in the pockets of musicians can only be good. I’m just puzzled by it.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

For younger buyers I am certain that the slower process of buying and playing vinyl, the element of deliberate choice, is an important driver.
        There are people who sneer at the vinyl revival, but it is paying the wages of artists and record company staff, and IMHO opinion, the revival is a very good thing.
        Streaming has its place, but it has the potential to be a way of accessing music that also has its downsides.
        I stand among those sneering at the vinyl revival, and not just against the inherent sources of distortion associated with it. Vinyl is also far less easily recycled than the far smaller quantity of polycarbonate and associated materials employed in CD production. The greater quantity of vinyl used in modern LPs serves to make the matter even worse. https://recyclenation.com/2014/06/re...vinyl-records/

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          I stand among those sneering at the vinyl revival, and not just against the inherent sources of distortion associated with it. Vinyl is also far less easily recycled than the far smaller quantity of polycarbonate and associated materials employed in CD production. The greater quantity of vinyl used in modern LPs serves to make the matter even worse. https://recyclenation.com/2014/06/re...vinyl-records/
          I agree about the weight of the new vinyl albums. Definite overkill IMO.

I doubt ( and could be wrong ) if the environmental impact overall though is even a drop in the ocean. And as we know, even streaming and other online activity has eco impact.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

I doubt ( and could be wrong ) if the environmental impact overall though is even a drop in the ocean. And as we know, even streaming and other online activity has eco impact.
            A drop in the ocean...

Or perhaps microfibres in the ocean?

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              One point I forgot to mention. One of the independent shops was playing an album on vinyl on a very respectable system. However, I couldn’t help notice that the cable from the turntable to the amp was one of those very basic things that have to be legally supplied with all Hi-Fi equipment. I know there’s a lot of comments about the validity of spending huge sums on cable but it did seem the proprietor was unaware that upgrading to even a slightly better cable would enhance his system.
              I think you are referring to a RCA Cable. I don’t believe in spending huge sums on cables, but the biggest improvement in cables is when one upgrades from RCA cables to something better. It is probably more important for a turntable, which is more prone to hum than digital components

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                It is note worthy that vinyl quality declined precipitously in the late seventies and eighties when petroleum prices soared, emphasizing the dependence upon fossil fuels for the production of the product.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Overkill or learning that in the 70s and early 80s before the dawning of the age of the wonderful CD the companies skimped on vinyl very much to the detriment of the product which amongst other shortcomings was the high susceptibility to warping and whatever remedies tried never worked. Maybe these heavywights may stay flat!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                    A drop in the ocean...

Or perhaps microfibres in the ocean?
                    You got there before me, OG! I'm resisting the temptation to pick up on richardfinegold's "note worthy"!

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      It is note worthy that vinyl quality declined precipitously in the late seventies and eighties when petroleum prices soared, emphasizing the dependence upon fossil fuels for the production of the product.
                      In the UK. pressings in the seventies were frequently a mixture of recycled scrap pressings and brand new vinyl, hence pressing associated noise from material that was not dirt-free.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                        In the UK. pressings in the seventies were frequently a mixture of recycled scrap pressings and brand new vinyl, hence pressing associated noise from material that was not dirt-free.
                        I've mentioned that I worked while at University in various record stores during the late seventies and the return rate, from College students who , by and large, weren't especially picky about quality was about 25%, mostly for lps that simply could not track even with a cartridge weight far above recommended.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          You got there before me, OG! I'm resisting the temptation to pick up on richardfinegold's "note worthy"!
                          I am glad that someone picked up on that...

Comment

• hmvman
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                            It got to the point that I used to seek out records that were pressed either in the Netherlands or Germany and avoided British pressings as much as possible.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                              It got to the point that I used to seek out records that were pressed either in the Netherlands or Germany and avoided British pressings as much as possible.
                              Same here, just substitute the word American for British.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                                I've mentioned that I worked while at University in various record stores during the late seventies and the return rate, from College students who , by and large, weren't especially picky about quality was about 25%, mostly for lps that simply could not track even with a cartridge weight far above recommended.
                                I seem to recall being told by one of the staff on the WH Smith audio counter - wow, remember those, folks? - that many returns were because people would buy the LPs in order to tape them. Because "the customer is always right" they couldn't do a thing about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X