X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Jul 2024

Alert for two important Hitler resistance-related programmes on BBC2

These two programmes look fascinating and I hope that they will be as full of insight as this description suggests

A new drama tells the story of a Jewish lawyer who confronted Hitler - earning the dictator's life-long hatred. So who was Hans Litten?
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Zon't be reedikkulus .... resistance is ffutile!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
      Zon't be reedikkulus .... resistance is ffutile!

Your much-missed father would have been a shoe-in for a Nazi officer in this, I reckon SHB

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Thanks for that, AM51

I wonder how many saw the documentary on BBC 4 last Tuesday, "Surviving Hitler: a Love Story". It was about a Jewish girl, Jutta Cords, living with her family in Germany, who fell in love with a German soldier in 1934 subsequently involved in the plot to assassinate Hitler, and who managed to escape. Now in her 90s it was she who told the story, with remarkable detachment and in fluent English. Her parents were separated and interned in concentration camps; she herself narrowly avoided rape by a Russian soldier during the Soviet "liberation" of Berlin by feigning insanity, and her father almost certain death when the Americans bombed the camp and they forced their guards to let them out. She and every one of her close ones managed to survive, through their own and others' sheer personal bravery and self-sacrifice, to meet up at the end of the war, when she and the soldier were finally able to marry.

I did not stay tuned for the programme which followed, "My Father Was a Nazi Commandant", being unable to take any more at that emotional level, but if the first programme was anything to go by, this series should be too good to miss.

S-A

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Thanks for that, AM51

I wonder how many saw the documentary on BBC 4 last Tuesday, "Surviving Hitler: a Love Story". It was about a Jewish girl, Jutta Cords, living with her family in Germany, who fell in love with a German soldier in 1934 subsequently involved in the plot to assassinate Hitler, and who managed to escape. Now in her 90s it was she who told the story, with remarkable detachment and in fluent English. Her parents were separated and interned in concentration camps; she herself narrowly avoided rape by a Russian soldier during the Soviet "liberation" of Berlin by feigning insanity, and her father almost certain death when the Americans bombed the camp and they forced their guards to let them out. She and every one of her close ones managed to survive, through their own and others' sheer personal bravery and self-sacrifice, to meet up at the end of the war, when she and the soldier were finally able to marry.

I did not stay tuned for the programme which followed, "My Father Was a Nazi Commandant", being unable to take any more at that emotional level, but if the first programme was anything to go by, this series should be too good to miss.

S-A
          Thanks for this S_A - I'll see if it's on iPlayer

Later: It is available, til 26 August

The Jewish teenager and the soldier who survived the Nazis and married in post-war Berlin.
          Last edited by Guest; 19-08-11, 15:02. Reason: Addition

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Oh great - for anyone who missed it. Thanks again AM!

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
              • Nov 2010

My apologies, SA ... I was being flippant, rather than trite. Mea culpa.

SHB

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                • Nov 2010

I was reminded of this recent, moving obituary:

Rudolf Brazda, who died on August 3 aged 98 was the last known survivor of the thousands of men who were sent to Nazi concentration camps for being homosexual.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

My apologies, SA ... I was being flippant, rather than trite. Mea culpa.

SHB
                  No reason to apologise whatsoever, Stillhomewardbound.

Comment

• amateur51

I was reminded of this recent, moving obituary:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...lf-Brazda.html
                    Extremely moving I agree SHB. Many thanks for posting

Comment

Working...
                    X