X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Sep 2024

The EHRC finally makes up its mind

The Equality & Human Rights Commission (EHRC) has been getting itself into a fine old and deeply unnecessary twist about the competing rights of religious people and those of lesbians and gay men ( amongst other things...). It now appears to have made up its mind

The equality watchdog has abandoned moves to reform the law to give greater protection to Christians who have been banned from expressing their religious beliefs at work.

I hope that Mr Pee appreciates that this clip is not from The Guardian but from The Daily Telegraph - doubtless there'll be a fiercely frothing rant from Melanie Phillips in The Daily Mail tomorrow ( I do worry about Josuah Rosenburg)

• ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    The Equality & Human Rights Commission (EHRC) has been getting itself into a fine old and deeply unnecessary twist about the competing rights of religious people and those of lesbians and gay men ( amongst other things...). It now appears to have made up its mind

The equality watchdog has abandoned moves to reform the law to give greater protection to Christians who have been banned from expressing their religious beliefs at work.

I hope that Mr Pee appreciates that this clip is not from The Guardian but from The Daily Telegraph - doubtless there'll be a fiercely frothing rant from Melanie Phillips in The Daily Mail tomorrow.
    Thank you very much for posting this. Let's hope that the ongoing results of this will be positive for all concerned, including those of the religious persuasions to which they are of course entitled.

Mr Pee? Well, he uses as his avatar a photo of a composer standing by his bicycle - a marvellous composer who nevertheless lived from time to time with no small amounts of difficulty with his doubts about both the Roman Catholicism within which he was raised and his own creative abilities.

Melanie Phillips? Never heard of her (well, not intentionally or willingly, anyway).

Comment

• Simon

<<yawn>>

Comment

• scottycelt

<this clip is not from The Guardian>

Is that, therefore, a ground-breaking 'first' for this Forum ... ?

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
          <this clip is not from The Guardian>

Is that, therefore, a ground-breaking 'first' for this Forum ... ?
          I rather think it might be. I nearly fell out of my chair in shock!

Still, it's nice to see that other newspapers are available. An alien reading these boards might think there was only one......
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Thganks for the alert, Amateur. I actually have no problem with people like Mrs Eweida & Mrs Chaplin, who simply want to wear an emblem indicating their beliefs. I used to wear a pink triangle when I was a school librarian, despite attempts by the head of the school to stop me (I was supported by the majority of the staff). However, people like Miss Ladele & Mr McFarlane should realise that if they take on a particular job or profession they can't deny people their services simply because they disaprove of them.

(btw, I thought Simon had Amateur on 'ignore'? What's he doing being bored by Am's thread?)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              Thganks for the alert, Amateur. I actually have no problem with people like Mrs Eweida & Mrs Chaplin, who simply want to wear an emblem indicating their beliefs. I used to wear a pink triangle when I was a school librarian, despite attempts by the head of the school to stop me (I was supported by the majority of the staff). However, people like Miss Ladele & Mr McFarlane should realise that if they take on a particular job or profession they can't deny people their services simply because they disaprove of them.

(btw, I thought Simon had Amateur on 'ignore'? What's he doing being bored by Am's thread?)
              Ooooeerr good point, Flossie!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                However, people like Miss Ladele & Mr McFarlane should realise that if they take on a particular job or profession they can't deny people their services simply because they disaprove of them.

Hmmm, but were these 'services' there when they took on the jobs? Surely, in a free society there should be 'a freedom of conscience' clause. This is currently used for many doctors and nurses in, say, the case of abortion, and rightly so.

In a perfect world, such people would just resign in protest, and then look for jobs where they were not forced to perform (to them) unacceptable practices. That is hardly a realistic option these days, and the protesters may well have the welfare of their family to consider as well as themselves.

Surely in an age when we are implored to 'understand' criminals like the rioters and looters the same consideration might conceivably be afforded to decent, law-abiding citizens such as Miss Ladele and Mr McFarlane?

The following link highlights the appalling treatment Miss Ladele received at the hands of her bosses and 'gay rights activists' and the Tribunal found heavily in her favour in 2008.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2280484/Christian-registrar-who-refused-to-conduct-gay-weddings-wins-case.html

Sorry that I couldn't find a proper Guardian link to this harrowing tale of vile discrimination by 'liberal' councils in the workplace ...

Comment

• amateur51

Surely a quick prayer to the Almighty explaining the dilemma in which one found oneself would receive a positive response from a fair and just God?

Especially now that the Pope has decided that he can operate an amnesty for women who've had abortions

Comment

• scottycelt

Surely a quick prayer to the Almighty explaining the dilemma in which one found oneself would receive a positive response from a fair and just God?

Especially now that the Pope has decided that he can operate an amnesty for women who've had abortions
                    You're own apparent lack of 'understanding' of Christianity, and particularly Catholicism, is now well-established, ams51, so your 'knee-jerk' diversions will therefore pass without further useful comment ..

Getting back to the point, I therefore take it that you approve of the discriminatory treatment directed at Miss Ladelle by her employer and the Tribunal was wrong to judge the way it did ... ?

Comment

• Anna

Scotty has a fair point - the Registrar probably did enter into her profession before same-sex marriages became legal.

Would the two ladies and the cross have been in trouble for wearing an ichtus I wonder?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

Anna

A small correction. We have Civil Partnerships, but not yet same-sex marriages, there is a difference. My partner and I had ours just as soon as it became possible at the beginning of 2006 after a partnership that has now lasted 50 years. It has been rather a long wait!
                        I did not expect my life as a fully out gay man to feel very different, but it does. A great sham has ceased to exist for so many of us.

Scotty and others wonder why I'm so angry when religious bigotry ( because there is no other name for it ) prevents the full expression of dignified and productive lives.
                        Well, I can't help that, time will tell.
                        Meanwhile I'll stay angry but hopeful.

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Ooooeerr good point, Flossie!
                          It was the quote that did it!
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                            You're own apparent lack of 'understanding' of Christianity, and particularly Catholicism, is now well-established, ams51, so your 'knee-jerk' diversions will therefore pass without further useful comment ..
                            Enlighten me do, if you think that my knowledge is deficient, scotty (you've never needed encouraging before )
                            Are you telling me that the Pope is NOT operating an amnesty for women who are attending this youth event in Madrid who have had an abortion?

And if he is, are you telling that this is NOT a significant departure from usual practice?

That's all I'm saying

As to the EHRC's decision, I'm delighted that decency has prevailed and the law's intention has been upheld

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              Scotty has a fair point - the Registrar probably did enter into her profession before same-sex marriages became legal.
                              But the law is the law. It changes over time as society changes, and sometimes vice versa.A Local Authority is required to operate within the law and the Registrar must have known this.

Comment

Working...
                              X