• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

A heartening experience

Mrs A. and I were invited to 'sit in' on a musical gathering (not a party!) of a local music teacher's pupils and friends. Each played a piece ranging from the elementary to the very challenging. However we were very impressed by the incredible playing of a 12-year old lad on a double-bass. You can tell when a kid positively exudes musicality, and he was one such. He played a first piece (can't remember what is was) mainly in the 'cello' register, very fine, but followed it up with a contemporary piece written by his teacher, David Heyes, which used all the tricks of the modern bassist; lots of pizzicato, obviously, but some sul ponticello creepy sounds plus a bit of percussion. The teacher's daughter, aged 8, was also amazingly talented, playing an accordion almost as big as herself, with terrific Latin- American swagger. These two, especially,made our day, and we hope they'll go far.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Mrs A. and I were invited to 'sit in' on a musical gathering (not a party!) of a local music teacher's pupils and friends. Each played a piece ranging from the elementary to the very challenging. However we were very impressed by the incredible playing of a 12-year old lad on a double-bass. You can tell when a kid positively exudes musicality, and he was one such. He played a first piece (can't remember what is was) mainly in the 'cello' register, very fine, but followed it up with a contemporary piece written by his teacher, David Heyes, which used all the tricks of the modern bassist; lots of pizzicato, obviously, but some sul ponticello creepy sounds plus a bit of percussion. The teacher's daughter, aged 8, was also amazingly talented, playing an accordion almost as big as herself, with terrific Latin- American swagger. These two, especially,made our day, and we hope they'll go far.
    It sounds like the two children should attempt some arrangements of Piazolla.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Not quite on topic, but I went the other day to see Cinderella staged by a local AmDram society, of which I'm a member (and made first-and-last panto thesp appearance three years ago). It included a short ballet by children, circa 6-9, as various animals, as the mice-led pumpkin coach took Cinderella to the ball. Their concenration, dedication and animal grace was very moving, the more so as they were so young.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Today I encountered the young Bosnian gypsy woman outside the local Tesco Express who, every year in the week leading up to Christmas, has been travelling daily all the way from Woolwich by bus to sell the Big Issue. The first time must have been ten years ago. Back then she could only speak very little broken English and was clearly in advanced pregnancy. She must now be in her late twenties - always smiling and friendly, full of news about how she and her family are still just about managing to cope on her husband's pittance earnings from various zero hour contracts, living in rented accommodations that certainly sound horrendously substandard. They now have five children - she just loves having babies, she tells me! I tend these days not to carry small change when going shopping - the mag is now £4; I handed her a tenner indicating not wanting change, and she handed me a sealed envelope containing a card with a handwritten message saying, "My dear Customers, thank you very much for your help I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year full of joy and happiness. Thank you. From Rebecca and her family".

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

That is indeed heart-warming! (Being a bit naughty, I must say 'The Big Issue' sounds appropriate in her case!) I very much admire one of my (grown-up) grand-daughters who has a heart of gold and cannot 'pass by on the other side' of clearly distressed people asking for alms in city streets. However, she usually exercises her goodwill by nipping into the nearest Costa...or whatever...and buying them a cup of something hot and a bun.

I often dwell on how easy it would be for one's life to fall apart and to end up living on the street. Sleeping rough in a shop doorway in December? Brrr. Thank heaven for charitable souls such as yourself, SA.

Comment

Working...
          X