X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Michael Nesmith (1942-2021)

Michael Nesmith, guitarist and bobble hat wearer in the Monkees has died aged 78. I loved the Monkees in my teens - the TV programme was a must-see Saturday night attraction for me and my pal. Afterwards we would try to re-enact some of their stunts...not very well, I should say.

I still love some of those old tunes. Thanks for the laughs, Mike. RIP.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 10-12-21, 20:34.
  • TBuckley

Sad news indeed.

Stone Poneys - Different Drum

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupDifferent Drum · Stone Poneys · Linda RonstadtEvergreen, Vol.2℗ 1967 Capitol Records, LLCReleased on: 1967-06-05P...

Mike Nesmith wrote this great song and generously conceded that Linda Rondstadt's performance gave the song
    a depth which he could never have achieved.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

Was The Monkees on weekdays sometimes in the late 1960s? I remember watching it in the 17.25 slot after school......

I loved the show and the songs.....but the Nesmith track that is always with me "somewhere in the back of my mind" is "Rio...":

....for its slinky, suave melody, gently swaying latinate rhythms and the subtly funny lyrics, which seem so human in their insouciant uncertainty...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• duncan
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        .....but the Nesmith track that is always with me "somewhere in the back of my mind" is "Rio...":

....for its slinky, suave melody, gently swaying latinate rhythms and the subtly funny lyrics, which seem so human in their insouciant uncertainty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpcTsy10dE
        Beautifully put, it's a gem of a song. Nesmith had quite a hinterland didn't he?

Comment

• Katzelmacher
          • Jan 2021

Without a doubt the biggest talent in that prefabricated band (who made many excellent records).

Dolenz is now the sole Simian survivor.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Fond memories of a group that went beyond its origins as a 'manufactured' band to become fine musical comedians.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Always enjoyed this wee bit from 'The Monkees' when Zappa joined Mike for a spot of zany jocularity.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

I have a friend whose day job is cutting hair but his passion is his band (one is his band mates used to be a personal photographer for Paul McCartney, and he has a lot of cool backstage pictures of Macca and Linda in his shop). At some point he became acquainted with Nesmith and his band actually opened for the Monkees on a brief tour some time before Davy Jones demise. Nesmith apparently devoted a lot of his time to mentoring bands like this. My friend refers to him as “Nez” and I am sure is greatly saddened at present

Comment

Working...
                X